- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Shearing Die Life for Producing a Retainer using FE Analysis
유한요소해석을 이용한 리테이너 전단 금형 수명예측
Lee, I.K.;Lee, S.Y.;Lee, S.K.;Jeong, M.S.;Seo, P.K.;Lee, K.H.;Kim, B.M.
- Received : 2014.12.18
- Accepted : 2015.01.05
- Published : 2015.08.01
In the current study, a method was proposed to quantitatively predict the wear and fatigue life of a shearing die in order to determine an effective replacement period for the die. The shearing die model of a retainer manufacturing process was used for the proposed method of quantitative life prediction. The retainer is produced through shearing steps, such as piercing and notching. The shearing die of the retainer is carefully controlled because the dimensional accuracy of the retainer is critical. The fatigue life for the shearing die was predicted using ANSYS considering S-N curves of STD11 and Gerber’s equation. The wear life for the shearing die was predicted using DEFORM-3D considering the Archard’s wear model. Experimental shearing of the retainer was conducted to verify the effectiveness of the proposed method for predicting die life. The fatigue failure of the shearing die was macroscopically measured. The wear depth was measured using a 3D coordinate measuring machine. The results showed that the wear and fatigue life in the FE analysis agree well with the experimental results.
Retainer;Fatigue Life;High Cycle Fatigue;S-N Curve;Wear Life;Wear Coefficient;Shearing Die;FE Analysis
- Y. C. Song, E. G. Yoh, Y. S. Lee, 1999, A Study on the Prediction of Fatigue Life in Die, J. Korean Soc. Mach. Tools Eng., Vol. 8, No. 4, pp, 87~92
- S. prabhu, B. K. Vinayagam, 2011, Fractal Dimensional Surface Analysis of AISI D2 Toll Steel Material with Nanofluids in Grinding Process using Atomic Force Microscopy, J. Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng., Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 459~466. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-58782011000400009
- T. C. Lee, L. C. Chan, P. F. Zheng, 1997, Apllication of the Finite-element Deformation Method in the Fine Blanking Process, J. Mater. Process., Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 744~749. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(96)02717-3
- D. H. Ko, S. K. Lee, Y. N. Kwon, S. W. Kim, H. S. Lee, E. S. Park, B. M. Kim, D. C. Ko, 2011, Roll Die Forming Process for Manufacturing Clutch Hub in Automotive Transmission, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 154~159. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2011.20.2.154
- J. A. Bannantine, J. J. Comer, J. L. Handrock, 1990, Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, pp. 232~238.
- J. C. Choi, B. M. Kim, 1994, Tool Life in Metal Forming Processes, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 147~151.
- J. F. Archard, 1953, Contact and Rubbing of Flat Surfaces, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 981~988. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1721448
- H. S. Choi, B. M. Kim, K. J. Nam, S. Y. Ha, S. H. Cha, C. G. Kang, 2011, Development of Hot Stamped Center Pillar using form Die with Channel Type Indirect Blank Holder, Int. J. Automot. Techn., Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 887~894. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-011-0101-1
- K. Kishida, 2000, High Stength Steel Sheets for Light Weignt Vehicle, Nippon Steel Technical Report, No. 81, pp. 12~16.