- Volume 28 Issue 4
Lonicera caerulea var. edulis is a rare species found in some alpine region of Korea. Genetic variation in L. caerulea var. edulis has been investigated by examining 161 individuals from six natural populations: Mt. Seorak 1, Mt. Seorak 2, Mt. Jeombong, Mt. Bangtae, Mt. Gyebang, Mt. Halla. The mean genetic diversity for all the six populations was 0.25 (S.I.). The highest genetic diversity was found in Mt. Seorak (S.I.=0.3158) and the lowest was in Mt. Gyebang (S.I.=0.1047). Comparatively low level of genetic diversity was observed (Ae=1.25, P= 64.6%, S.I.=0.25), which is a typical pattern for rare tree species. AMOVA showed exceptionally large proportion of genetic variations both for among populations (34.69%) and within populations (65.31%). Excluding Mt. Gyebang, the genetic variation among and within population was 18.71% and 81.29% respectively. The UPGMA dendrogram based on genetic distance is not suitable for geographic relationship. Genetic distance of Mt. Gyebang was most distant from the other populations. Excluding Mt. Gyebang, the genetic identities among the five populations were 0.95 to 0.97, which is very high similarity level of genetic identity. This low level of genetic variations and the lack of site in nature indicates that Lonicera caerulea var. edulis demanded a serious conservation.
Native plants;Rare species;ISSR;AMOVA;Lonicera caerulea var. edulis
- Jeon, S.H. 2003. Princilpe of genetics. Life science. Seoul. Korea. pp. 514-574 (in Korean).
- 김진수, 손요한, 신준환, 이도원, 최재천, 리처드 프리맥. 2000. 보전생물학. 사이언스 북스. pp. 1-348.
- 이영노. 2000. 한국의 고산식물. 교학사. p. 358.
- 고정군. 2007. 지구온난화와 한라산의 식생. 제주특별자치도 한라산연구소 조사연구보고서 6:3-17.
- 김상식. 1998. 원색 한국 수목도감. 계명사. p. 291.
- Plekhanova, M.N. 1999. Eucarpia symposium on fruit breeding and genetics blue honeysuckle (Lonicera Caerulea). Inter- national Society for horticulture science acta hoticulture. A new commercial crop for temperate climate: Genet. Res. Breeding 538:159-164.
- Schneider, S., G. Laval and L. Excoffier. 2005. Arlequin : An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinformatics 1:47-50.
- Skupień, K., I. Ochmian and J. Grajkowski. 2009. Influence of ripening time on fruit chemical composition of two blue honeysuckle cultigens. Fruit and Ornamental Plant Res. 17:101-111.
- Yun, S.I. 2008. Inter simple sequence repeats (ISSR) marker analysis of genetic diversity in Korean Phasianus colchicus karpowi and genetic relationships among subspecies of Phasianus spp. Korean Soc. Environ. Biol. 26(2):66-75 (in Korean).
- Xiao, L.Q., X.J. Ge, X. Gong, G. Hao and S.X. Zheng. 2004. ISSR variation in the endemic and endangered plant Cycas guizhouensis (Cycadaceae). Ann. Bot. 94:133-138. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mch119
- Yang, B.H., J.H. Song, J.J. Lee, S.D. Hur and Y.P. Hong. 2009. Genetic variation and structure of the relict populations of Korean Arborvitae (Thuja koraiensis Nakai) in South Korea, Employing I-SSR Markers. Jour. Korean For. Soc. 98:1-7 (in Korean).
- Yeh, F.C., R.C. Yang and T. Botle. 1999. POPGENE 3.2 : Microsoft Windows-based freeware for population genetic analysis. Release. University of Alberta. Canada.
- Zietkiewicz, E., A. Rafalski and D. Labuda. 1994. Genome fingerprinting by simple sequence repeat (SSR) anchored polymerase chain reaction amplification. Genomics 20:176-183. https://doi.org/10.1006/geno.1994.1151
- Kong, W.S. 2002. Species composition and distribution of korean alpine plant. J. Korean Geogr. 37:357-370.
- Kong, W.S. 2005. Selection of vulnerable indicator plants by global warming. Asia Pac. J. Atmos. Sci. 41:263-273 (in Korean).
- Kong, W.S. and J.H. Im. 2008. Disjunctive Distribution of Vaccinium vitis-idaea and thermal condition. J. Korean Geogr. 43: 495-510.
- Kwon, H.Y. and Z.S. Kim. 2002. ISSR variation within and among Korean population in Taxus cuspidata. Jour. Korean For. Soc. 91:654-660.
- Lee, B.C. 2009 Korea Red Data Book. Korea National Aboretum. Pocheon. Korea. p. 138 (in Korean).
- Milligan, B.G., J.L. Mark and A.E. Strand. 1994. Conservation genetics beyond the maintenance of marker diversity. Mol. Ecol. 3:423-435. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-294X.1994.tb00082.x
- Lee, S.W., Y.M. Kim, W.W. Kim and J.M. Chung. 2002. Genetic variation of ISSR markers in the natural populations of a rare and endangered tree species, Oplopanax elatus in Korea. Jour. Korean For. Soc. 91:565-573.
- Lyu, M.I. and J.H. Lee. 2002. Population ecology. Seoul National University. Seoul. Korea. pp. 236-244 (in Korean).
- Malodobry, M., M. Bieniasz and E. Dziedzic. 2010. Evaluation of the yield and some components in the fruit of blue honeysuckle (Lonicera caerulea var. edulis Turcz. Freyn.). Fol. Horticulture 22:45-50.
- Nei, M. 1973. Analysis of gene diversity in subdivised populations. Proc. Natl. Akad. Sci. USA. 70:3321-3323. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.70.12.3321
- Ochmian, I., J. Grajkowski and K. Skupień. 2008. Field performance, fruit chemical composition and firmness under cold storage and simulated “shelf-life” conditions of three blue honeysuckle cultigens (Lonicera caerulea). Fruit and Ornamental Plant Res. 16:83-91.
- Avise, J.C. 1994. Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution: Natural History and Evolution. Springer Sci. Bus. pp. 8-15.
- Choi, H.S., K.N. Hong, J.M. Jeong, B.Y. Kang and W.W. Kim. 2004. Genetic diversity and spatial genetic structure of Empetrum nigrum var. japonicum in Mt. Halla, South Korea. Jour. Korean For. Soc. 93:175-180 (in Korean).
- Chu, J.G. 1998. Population Genetics. Chung-Ang University Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea. pp. 1-440 (in Korean).
- Excoffier, L., E.S. Peter and Q.M. Joseph. 1992. Analysis of molecular variance infferred from metric distance among DNA haplotypes : Application to human mitochondrial DNA retribution data. Genet. Soc. of America 131:479-491.
- Jeffreys, A.J., N.J. Royle, V. Wilson and Z. Wong. 1988. Spontaneous mutation rates to new length alleles at tandemrepetitive hypervariable loci in human DNA. Nature 332: 278-281. https://doi.org/10.1038/332278a0
- Futuyma, Douglas J. 2008. Evolution. Life science. Seoul. Korea. p. 518.
- Han, S.D., Y.P. Hong, H.Y. Kwon, B.H. Yang and C.S. Kim. 2005. Genetic variation of two isolated relict populations of Vaccinium uliginosum L. in Korea. Jour. Korean. For. Soc. 94:209-213 (in Korean).
- Im, H.I., J.H. Song, K.N. Hong, K.H. Jang and Y.P. Hong. 2012. Genetic diversity and spatial genetic structure of dwarf stone pine in Daecheongbong Area, Mt. Seorak. Korean J. Plant Res. 25(4):407-415 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.4.407
- Kim, S.Y., Y.D. Kim, J.S. Kim, B.H. Yang, S.H. Kim and B.C. Lee. 2009. Genetic diversity of Forsythia ovata Nakai (Oleaceae) based on inter-simple sequence repeats (ISSR). Korean J. Pl. Taxon. 39:48-54 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y.L., Y.P. Hong and D.H. Kim. 2005. DNA marker analysis and QTL mapping. Korea Forest Research Institute. Suwon. Korea pp. 21-38 (in Korean).
- Agnew, A.D.Q. 1961. The ecology of Juncus effusus L. in North Wales. J. Eol. 49:83-102.