- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effective Young's Modulus of Model Ice Sheet in Ice Basin
빙해수조 모형빙판의 유효탄성계수 산출
Lee, Jae-Hwan;Choi, Bong-Kyun;Kim, Tae-Wan;Lee, Chun-Ju
- Received : 2014.11.15
- Accepted : 2015.06.23
- Published : 2015.08.20
In this paper, the theory of rectangular plate on the elastic foundation is used to get the relation equation between the effective Young’s modulus and the ice sheet deflection by applying the characteristic length concept, since the model ice sheet is rectangular shape in KRISO (Korea Research Institute for Ships and Ocean Engineering) ice basin. The obtained relation equation is equal to that of using the circular plate theory. A device is made and used to measure the deflection of ice plate using LVDT (Linear Variable Differential Transformer) for several loading cases and the procedure of experiments measuring the deflection used for getting the Young’s modulus is explained. In addition, the flexural strength value obtained through flexural strength experiments is compared with that of finite element analysis using the obtained effective Young’s modulus. Also, a nonlinear FEA (Finite Element Analysis) of cantilever ice beam is done with eroding effect and LS-DYNA result shows the fracture of brittle ice under 1 mm/s velocity load.
KRISO Ice basin;Plate characteristic length;Model ice effective elastic modulus and flexural strength;Nonlnear FEA;Eroding
- Timco, G.W. & O’Brien, S., 1994. Flexural Strength Equation for Sea Ice. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 22, pp.285-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-232X(94)90006-X
- Timoshenko, S. & Woinowsky-Krieger, S., 1959. Theory of Plates and Shells. McGraw-Hill Co: New York.
- Wyman, M., 1950. Deflection of an Infinite Plate. Canadian journal of research, Sec. A28, pp.293-230.
- Choi, K.S. Lee, C.J. Rim, C.W. & Kim, H.S., 2011. Strength Characteristics of Arctic Ice from Ice Field Tests of the Icebreaking Research Vessel ARAON. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(3), pp.254-259. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.3.254
- Fox, C. & Chung, H., 1998. Green’s function for forcing of a thin floating plate, Tech. Report 408. Auckland: Dept. of Mathematics, U. of Auckland, Australia.
- Fox, C. Haskell, T.G. & Chung, H., 2001. Dynamic, in Situ Measurement of Sea-Ice Characteristic Length. Annals of Glaciology, 33, pp.339-344. https://doi.org/10.3189/172756401781818086
- Fox, C. & Squire, V., 1994. On the Oblique Reflexion and Transmission of Ocean Waves at Shore Fast Sea Ice. Philosophical Transactions A, 347(A), pp.185-218. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1994.0044
- Hilding, D. Forsberg, J. & Gurtner, A., 2011. Simulation of ice interaction on off shore structure. 8th Europian LS-DYNA Users Conference, Strasboug, 1-12 May 2011, pp.1-12.
- ITTC, 2002. The special committee, Final report and recommendations to the 22nd and 25th ITTC, recommended procedures and guidelines 7.5-02 – 04-02, testing and extrapolation methods ice testing test methods for model ice properties. Alexandria, VA USA: ITTC.
- Lee, J.H. Kim, I.S. Choi, B.K. & Lee, C.J., 2014. A Construction of the Network Type Database Management System for Model Ice. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(1), pp.51-57. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.1.51
- Marchenko, A. Morozov, E. & MUzylev, S., 2013. Measruements of Sea-Ice Flexural Stiffness by Pressure Characteristics of Flexural-Gravity Waves. Annals of Glaciology, 54(64), pp.51-60. https://doi.org/10.3189/2013AoG64A075
- Sodhi, D.S. Kata, K. Haynes, F.D. & Hirayama K., 1982. Determining the characteristic lenfth of model ice sheets, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 6, pp.99-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-232X(82)90002-7
- Cho, S.R. Chun, E.J. Yoo, C.S. Jeong, S.Y. & Lee, C.J., 2011. The Measuring Methodology of Friction Coefficient between Ice and Ship Hull. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(4), pp.363-367. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.4.363