- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Physicochemical and Sensory Properties of Dolsan Leaf Mustard Pickles
저장기간 동안 돌산 갓 피클의 이화학적 및 관능적 특성 분석
- Received : 2015.05.04
- Accepted : 2015.08.11
- Published : 2015.08.30
The principal objective of this fundamental research was to analyze the physicochemical changes and sensory properties of Dolsan leaf mustard pickles (DMP) for the development of low-salt pickles in order to contribute to the diversification of food. The DMPs were stored at −2℃ for 90 days, with salinity maintained at 1.63% to 1.85%. The pH was decreased during storage, and the acidity was gradually increased for up to 60 days of storage, after which it was increased rapidly to 1.10. The L-values (lightness) from the stems were decreased during storage. The a-values (greenness) were increased, while the b-values (yellowness) were decreased. It was shown that the DMP had a progressive browning phenomenon and the number of lactic acid bacteria gradually decreased. The sensory evaluation showed that crunchy textures were decreased and touch textures were increased at 30 days. Therefore, Dolsan leaf mustard is suitable as a material for low-salt pickles during storage for 90 days. The results of the analysis of the physicochemical and sensory properties indicate that the optimal storage for DMP was maintained for up to 30 days.
Brassica juncea;browning;leaf mustard;physicochemical property;pickle
- Son, E. J., Oh, S. H., Heo, O. S. and Kim, M. R. 2003. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of turnip pickle added with chitosan during storage. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32, 1302-1309. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.8.1302
- Song, M. R., Kim, M. J., Kwon, O. Y., Kim, H. R. and Kim, M. R. 2009. Quality characteristics and antioxidative activity of garlic pickle prepared with persimmon vinegar and maesil (Japanese apricot) juice. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 19, 981-986.
- Woo, N. R. Y., Chung, H. K. and Kang, M. H. 2005. Properties of Korean traditional pepper pickle made by different preheating temperature treatments. J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr. 34. 1219-1225. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.8.1219
- Yoo, E. J., Lim, H. S. Park, K. O. and Choi, M. R. 2005 Cytotoxic, antioxidative, and ACE inhibiting activities of Dolsan leaf mustard juice (DLMJ) treated with lactic acid bacteria. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 10, 60-66. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02931184
- Lim, H. S., Park, K. O., Nishizawa, N., Bae, S. O. and Choi, M. R., 2008 Cytotoxicity of extracts from Dolsan leaf mustard Kimchi treated with lactic acid bacteria on lung and gastric cancer cells. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 13, 174-181. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-007-0127-4
- Moon, M. J., Yoo, K. M., Kang, H. J., Hwang, I. K. and Moon, B. K. 2010. Antioxidative activity of yacon and chages in the quality characteristics of yacon pickle during storage. Kor. J. Food Cookery Sci. 26, 263-271.
- Oh, S. H., Oh, Y. K., Park, H. H. and Kim, M. R. 2003. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of turnip pickle prepared with different pickling spices during storage. Kor. J. Food Presv. 10, 347-353.
- Park, B. H., Jeon, E. R., Kim, S. D. and Cho, H. S. 2009. Changes in the quality characteristics of lotus root pickle with beet extract during storage. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 1124-1129. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.8.1124
- Park, M. R. 2008. A study on the characteristics of pine-tree mushroom (Tricholoma masutake Sing.) pickle for the standard recipe. Kor. J. Culinary Res. 14, 55-66.
- Park, M. W., Park, Y. K. and Jang, M. S. 1994. Changes of physicochemical and sensory characteristics of Korean pickled cucumber with different preparation methods. J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr. 23, 634-640.
- Park, Y. K., Park, M. W., Choi, I. W. and Choi, H. D. 2003. Effects of various salt concentrations on physicochemical properties of brined cucumbers for pickle process. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32, 526-530. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.4.526
- Shim, K. H. and Choi, O. J. 2012. Quality characteristics of low-salted yacon pickles with leaf-mustard and pepper. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 44, 545-552. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.5.545
- Jung, H. A., Yoon, J. Y., Hwang, J. S. and Joo, N. M. 2004. Optimization on organoleptic characteristics of cauliflower pickles. Kor. J. Food Culture 19, 193-199.
- Jung, S. J., Kim, G. Y. and Kim, S. H. 2001. The changes of ascorbic acid and chlorophylls content in Gochu-jangachi during fermentation. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. 30, 814-818.
- Kim, A. H., Han, M. R., Jung, K. H., Cho, J. C., Park, W. J., Han, C. W. and Jang, K. H. 2008. Physiological evaluation of Korea ginseng, deoduk, and doragi pickles. Kor. J. Food Nutr. 21, 443-447.
- Kim, A. J., Han, M. R., Woo, N., Kang, S. J., Lee, G. S. and Kim, M. H. 2008. Physicochemical properties of Korean ginseng pickles with chija and omija. Kor. J. Food Nutr. 21, 524-529.
- Kim, D. C., Won, S. I. and In, M. J. 2014. Preparation and quality characteristics of Mul-Kimchi added with chlorella. J. Appl. Biol. Chem. 57, 23-28. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2014.004
- Kim, J. O., Kim, M. N., Park, K. Y., Moon, S. H., Ha, Y. L. and Rhee, S. H. 1993. Antimutagenic effects of 4-decanol identified from mustard leaf. J. Kor. Agric. Chem. Soc. 36, 424-427.
- Kim, M. J. and Kim, S. D. 1994. A fermentation control of kimchi. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 4, 75-82.
- Kim, O. S. and Joo, N. M. 2004. Optimization on organoleptic properties of mushroom (Agaridus bisporus) pickles using response surface methodology. Kor. J. Soc. Food Cookery Sci. 20, 158-163.
- Kim, S. C., Kim, S. Y., Ha, H. C., Park, K. S. and Lee, J. S. 2001. The preparation of mushroom pickles and change in quality during storage. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life. 11, 400-408.
- Lim, H. S. 2002 The study for contents of sinigrin in Dolsan leaf mustard Kimchi during fermentation periods. J. Life Sci. 12, 523-527. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2002.12.5.523
- Chang, C. H. 1998. The future prospect traditional Korean fermented foods. Kor. J. Dietary Culture 3, 341-345.
- Cheigh, H. S. and Park, K. Y. 1994. Biochemical, microbiological and nutritional aspects of Kimchi (Korean fermented vegetable products). Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 34, 175-203. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399409527656
- Choi, M. R., Yoo, E. J., Song, S. H., Kang, D. S., Park, J. C. and Lim, H. S. 2001. Comparison of physiological activity in different parts of Dolsan leaf mustard. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 30, 721-725.
- Choi, M. R., Yoo, E. J. and Lim, H. S. 2003, Effect of lactic bacterium on antioxidative and ACE inhibitory activity in Dolsan leaf mustard Kimchi. J. Life Sci. 13, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2003.13.1.059
- Fleming, H. P., McFeeter, R. F., Daeschel, M. A., Humphries, E. G. and Thompson, R. L. 1988. Fermentation of cucumbers in anaerocic tanks. J. Food Sci. 53, 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1988.tb10192.x
- Han, G. J., Jang, M. S. and Shin, D. S. 2007. Changes in the quality characteristics of Aralia continentalis Kitagawa pickle during storage. Kor. J. Food Cookery Sci. 23, 294-301.
- Jeong, D. Y, Kim, Y. S, Lee, S. K., Jung, S. T., Jeong, E. J., Kim, H. E. and Shin, D. H. 2006. Comparison of physicochemical characteristics of pickles manufactured in folk villages of Sunchang region. J. Fd. Hyg. Safety 21, 92-99.