- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influence of the length and location of implants on distal extension removable partial dentures: finite element analysis
후방연장 가철성 국소의치에서 임플란트의 길이와 위치가 응력분산에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.06.22
- Accepted : 2015.07.30
- Published : 2015.09.30
Purpose: To evaluate the effects of implant location and length on stress distribution and displacement in osseointegrated-implants that were associated with mandibular distal extension removable partial dentures (DERPD). Materials and Methods: A sagittally cut model with the #33, #34 teeth and a removable partial denture of the left mandible was used. Seven models were designed with NX 9.0. Models A, B, C had implants with lengths of 11, 6, 4 mm, respectively, under the denture base of the #37 artificial tooth. Models D, E, F had implants with lengths of 11, 6, 4 mm, respectively, under the denture base of the #36 artificial tooth. Model G did not have any implants. Axial force (250 N) was loaded on #36 central fossa. The finite element analysis was performed with MSC Nastran. Von Mises stress maps were plotted to visualize the results. Results: The models of #37 implant placement showed much lower stress concentration on the surrounding bone of the implant compared with #36. The #36 implant position tended to reduce displacement more than #37. Conclusion: When an IARPD is designed, the distal positioning of implant placement has more advantages in the edentulous bone of DERPD on the prognosis of short implants and the stress distribution of edentulous alveolar bone. Using implants with longer lengths are important for stress distribution. However, Additional studies are necessary of the effects of length on implant survival.
implant-associated removable partial denture;distal extension removable partial denture;implant length;stress distribution
- Kim SK, Yoo SY, Park IP, Lee JH. Implants in conjunction with removable partial denture. J Korean Dent Assoc 2011;49:77-84.
- Kordatzis K, Wright PS, Meijer HJ. Posterior mandibular residual ridge resorption in patients with conventional dentures and implant overdentures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2003;18:447-52.
- Giffin KM. Solving the distal extension removable partial denture base movement dilemma: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 1996;76:347-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(96)90536-3
- Keltjens HM, Kayser AF, Hertel R, Battistuzzi PG. Distal extension removable partial dentures supported by implants and residual teeth: considerations and case reports. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1993;8:208-13.
- Verri FR, Pellizzer EP, Rocha EP, Pereira JA. Influence of length and diameter of implants associated with distal extension removable partial dentures. Implant Dent 2007;16:270-80. https://doi.org/10.1097/ID.0b013e31805007aa
- Witter DJ, de Haan AF, Käyser AF, van Rossum GM. A 6-year follow-up study of oral function in shortened dental arches. Part I: Occlusal stability. J Oral Rehabil 1994;21:113-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1994.tb01131.x
- Jorge JH, Quishida CC, Vergani CE, Machado AL, Pavarina AC, Ciampaolo ET. Clinical evaluation of failures in removable partial dentures. J Oral Sci 2012;54:337-42. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.54.337
- Shahmiri R, Aarts JM, Bennani V, Das R, Swair MV. Strain distribution in a Kennedy class I implant assisted removable partial denture under various loading conditions. Int J Dent 2013;2013:351279.
- Wills DJ, Manderson RD. Biomechanical aspects of the support of partial denture. J Dent 1977;5:310-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(77)90123-3
- Itoh H, Caputo AA, Wylie R, Berg T. Effects of periodontal support and fixed splinting on load transfer by removable partial dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1998;79:465-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(98)70163-5
- Tebrock OC, Rohen RM, Fenster RK, Pelleu GB Jr. The effect of various clasping systems on the mobility of abutment teeth for distal-extension removable partial dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1979;41:511-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(79)90082-9
- Starr NL. The distal extension case: an alternative restorative design for implant prosthetics. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2001;21:61-7.
- Monteith BD. Management of loading forces on mandibular distal-extension prostheses. Part I: Evaluation of concepts for design. J Prosthet Dent 1984;52:673-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(84)90140-9
- Shahmiri RA, Atieh MA. Mandibular Kennedy class I implant-tooth-borne removable partial denture: a systematic review. J Oral Rehabil 2010;37:225-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2009.02044.x
- Mijiritsky E, Ormianer Z, Klinger A, Mardinger O. Use of dental implants to improve unfavorable removable partial denture design. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2005;26:744-746,748,750 passim.
- Pellizzer EP, Verri FR, Falcon-Antenucci RM, Goiato MC, Gennari Filho H. Evaluation of different retention systems on a distal extension removable partial denture associated with an osseointegrated implant. J Craniofac Surg 2010;21:727-34. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e3181d8098a
- Ohkubo C, Kobayashi M, Suzuki Y, Hosoi T. Effect of implant support on distal-extension removable partial dentures: in vivo assessment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2008;23:1095-101.
- Bortolini S, Natali A, Franchi M, Coggiola A, Consolo U. Implant-retained removable partial dentures: an 8-year retrospective study. J Prosthodont 2011;20:168-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2011.00700.x
- Grossmann Y, Nissan J, Levin L. Clinical effectiveness of implant-supported removable partial dentures: a review of the literature and retrospective case evaluation. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67:1941-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2009.04.081
- Lee JH, Kim DG, Park CJ, Cho LR. A literature review on implant assisted removable partial denture. J Dent Rehabil Appl Sci 2012;28:179-90.
- Cunha LD, Pellizzer EP, Verri FR, Pereira JA. Evaluation of the influence of location of osseointegrated implants associated with mandibular removable partial dentures. Implant Dent 2008;17:278-87. https://doi.org/10.1097/ID.0b013e31818363b2
- Wheeler RC. Dental anatomy, physiology and occlusion. 5th ed. Philadelphia; WB Saundders Co.;1974. p. 185-194&216-28.
- Pellecchia M, Pellecchia R, Emtiaz S. Distal extension mandibular removable partial denture connected to an anterior fixed implant-supported prosthesis: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 2000;83:607-12. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2000.107114
- Chronopoulos V, Sarafianou A, Kourtis S. The use of dental implants in combination with removable partial dentures: a case report. J Esthet Restor Dent 2008;20:355-64; discussion 365. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2008.00209.x
Supported by : 경북대학교