- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Full mouth rehabilitation on the patient with class II jaw relation and posterior bite collapse using reestablishment of occlusal vertical dimension: a case report
구치부 교합지지가 상실된 II급 악간관계 환자의 교합 재설정을 통한 완전 구강회복 증례
Kim, Jae-Hyun;Cho, Hye-Won;Jung, Ji-Hye
- Received : 2015.06.22
- Accepted : 2015.07.23
- Published : 2015.09.30
Loss of molar support and abnormal jaw relationship lead to occlusal disharmony and cause pathologic signs. Full mouth rehabilitations with reestablishment of occlusal schemes are needed. In this case, the 75 year-old female patient showed posterior bite collapse, irregular occlusal plane and Class II jaw relationship. By observing her profile and interocclusal distance, she was diagnosed as loss of occlusal vertical dimension. Treatment plan is to restore maxillay class I removable partial denture and mandibular fixed prosthesis and to establish vertical dimension and harmonious occlusal plane. Occlusal vertical dimension of 19 mm, which is obtained by 7.5 mm increase between maxillary right lateral incisor and mandibular canine, was established using temporary prosthesis via diagnostic wax-up. Patient adaptation with newly formed vertical dimension was verified during 8 week follow-up period. Within the information of interim prostheses, final restoration was constructed and delivered. The patient showed sound occlusal scheme and esthetic profile.
vertical dimension;full mouth rehabilitation;class II jaw relation;posterior bite collapse
- Verrett RG. Analyzing the etiology of an extremely worn dentition. J Prosthodont 2001;10:224-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2001.00224.x
- Winstanley RB. A retrospective analysis of the treatment of occlusal disharmony by selective grinding. J Oral Rehabil 1986;13:169-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1986.tb00649.x
- Rugh JD, Drago CJ. Vertical dimension: a study of clinical rest position and jaw muscle activity. J Prosthet Dent 1981;45:670-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(81)90426-1
- Fayz F, Eslami A. Determination of occlusal vertical dimension: a literature review. J Prosthet Dent 1988;59:321-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(88)90182-5
- Dawson PE. Functional occlusion from TMJ to smile design. 1st ed. New York ; Elsevier Inc.; 2007. p. 114-9.
- Mack MR. Vertical dimension: a dynamic concept based on facial form and oropharyngeal function. J Prosthet Dent 1991;66:478-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(91)90508-T
- Jensen WO. Occlusion for the Class II jaw relations patient. J Prosthet Dent 1990;64:432-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(90)90039-F
- Wassell RW, Steele JG, Welsh G. Considerations when planning occlusal rehabilitation: a review of the literature. Int Dent J 1998;48:571-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.1998.tb00494.x
- Kobayashi Y, Shibuya H, Nagano T, Yanagita S. Treatment of the temporomandibular joint dysfunction patient by full mouth occlusal reconstruction (author’s transl). Shigaku 1975;63:79-93.
- Bloom DR, Padayachy JN. Increasing occlusal vertical dimension-why, when and how. Br Dent J 2006;200:251-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4813305
- Aboul-Ela LM, Razek MK. Pre-extraction records of the occlusal plane and vertical dimension. J Prosthet Dent 1977;38:490-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(77)90023-3
- Mack MR. Perspective of facial esthetics in dental treatment planning. J Prosthet Dent 1996;75:169-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(96)90095-5
- Willis FM. Features of the face involved in full denture prosthesis. Dent Cosmos 1935;77:851-54.
- Abduo J, Lyons K. Clinical considerations for increasing occlusal vertical dimension: a review. Aust Dent J 2012;57:2-10.
- Turner KA, Missirlian DM. Restoration of the extremely worn dentition. J Prosthet Dent 1984;52:467-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(84)90326-3
- Williamson EH, Lundquist DO. Anterior guidance: its effect on electromyographic activity of the temporal and masseter muscles. J Prosthet Dent 1983;49:816-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(83)90356-6