- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Prosthetic rehabilitation for a patient with CO-MI discrepancy
비생리적인 최대교두감합위의 교합재구성을 통한 수정
- Received : 2015.06.29
- Accepted : 2015.07.14
- Published : 2015.09.30
Centric occlusion-maximum intercuspation (CO-MI) discrepancy is one of main causes of evoking premature contact and resultant mandibular shift. These non-physiological conditions can induce temporomandibular disease, periodontitis, and non-carious cervical lesion. Therefore, if CO-MI discrepancy exists in patients who need extensive prosthetic rehabilitation, it must be corrected and then physiological occlusion must be restored. This report describes the treatment procedure of removing CO-MI discrepancy and prosthetic rehabilitation in a patient with 3.5 mm discrepancy, multiple caries and periodontitis. Proper mandibular position and modified opening & closing movement were confirmed by ARCUSdigma II and transcranial radiograph.
centric relation;maximum intercuspal position;centric slide;prosthetic rehabilitation
- The glossary of prosthodontic terms. J Prosthet Dent 2005;94:10-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2005.03.013
- Pullinger AG, Seligman DA, Gornbein JA. A multiple logistic regression analysis of the risk and relative odds of temporomandibular disorders as a function of common occlusal features. J Dent Res 1993;72:968-79. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345930720061301
- Landi N, Manfredini D, Tognini F, Romagnoli M, Bosco M. Quantification of the relative risk of multiple occlusal variables for muscle disorders of the stomatognathic system. J Prosthet Dent 2004;92:190-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.05.013
- Branschofsky M, Beikler T, Schäfer R, Flemming TF, Lang H. Secondary trauma from occlusion and periodontitis. Quintessence Int 2011;42:515-22.
- Harrel SK, Nunn ME. The association of occlusal contacts with the presence of increased periodontal probing depth. J Clin Periodontol 2009;36:1035-42 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2009.01486.x
- Brandini DA, Trevisan CL, Panzarini SR, Pedrini D. Clinical evaluation of the association between noncarious cervical lesions and occlusal forces. J Prosthet Dent 2012;108:298-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(12)60180-2
- Troeltzsch M, Troeltzsch M, Cronin RJ, Brodine AH, Frankenberger R, Messlinger K. Prevalence and association of headaches, temporomandibular joint disorders, and occlusal interferences. J Prosthet Dent 2011;105:410-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(11)60084-X
- Dawson PE. Functional occlusion: from TMJ to smile design. St. Louis; CV Mosby; 2007. p. 4-9.
- Ehrlich J, Hochman N, Yaffe A. The masticatory pattern as an adjunct for diagnosis and treatment. J Oral Rehabil 1992;19:393-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1992.tb01581.x
- Yoshida E, Fueki K, Igarashi Y. Association between food mixing ability and mandibular movements during chewing of a wax cube. J Oral Rehabil 2007;34:791-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2007.01743.x
- Park JM, Kim HJ, Park EJ, Kim MR, Kim SJ. Three dimensional finite element analysis of the stress distribution around the mandibular posterior implant during non-working movement according to the amount of cantilever. J Adv Prosthodont 2014;6:361-71. https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2014.6.5.361
- Aglietta M, Siciliano VI, Zwahlen M, Brägger U, Pjetursson BE, Lang NP, Salvi GE. A systematic review of the survival and complication rates of implant supported fixed dental prostheses with cantilever extensions after an observation period of at least 5 years. Clin Oral Implants Res 2009;20:441-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2009.01706.x
- Zurdo J, Romao C, Wennstrom JL. Survival and complication rates of implant-supported fixed partial dentures with cantilevers: a systematic review. Clin Oral Implants Res 2009;20 Suppl 4:59-66. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2009.01773.x
- Salama MA, Salama H, Garber DA. Guidelines for aesthetic restorative options and implant site enhancement: the utilization of orthodontic extrusion. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent 2002;14:125-130.
- Hellsing G. Occlusal adjustment and occlusal stability. J Prosthet Dent 1988;59:696-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(88)90385-X
- Kirveskari P. Assessment of occlusal stability by measuring contact time and centric slide. J Oral Rehabil 1999;26:763-6. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.1999.00483.x