- Volume 24 Issue 9
This research was performed by means of several different virgin granular activated carbons (GAC) made of each coal, coconut and wood, and the GACs were investigated for an adsorption performance of iodine-131 in a continuous adsorption column. Breakthrough behavior was investigated that the breakthrough points of the virgin two coals-, coconut- and wood-based GACs were observed as bed volume (BV) 7080, BV 5640, BV 5064 and BV 3192, respectively. The experimental results of adsorption capacity (X/M) for iodine-127 showed that two coal- based GACs were highest (208.6 and
Iodine-131;Radionuclide;Granular activated carbon (GAC);Adsorption
- Jeong, G., Lee, K., Kim, B., Lee, S., Lee, J., Koo, A., 2014, Study on removal of artificial radionuclide (I-131) water, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 36(11), 747-752. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2014.36.11.747
- Kosaka, K., Asami, M., Kobashigawa, N., Ohkubo, K., 2012, Removal of radioactive iodine and cesiym in water purification processes after an explosion at a nuclear power plant due to the great japan Earthquake, Water. Res., 46, 4397-4404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2012.05.055
- Morita, T., Niwa, K., Fujimoto, K., Kasai, H., Yamada, H., 2010, Detection and activity of iodine-131 in brown algae collected in the Japanese coastal areas, Sci. Total Environ., 408, 3443-3447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.04.001
- Siddiqui, M., Zhai, W., Amy, G., Mysore, C., 1996, Bromate ion removal by activated carbon, Water Res., 30, 1651-1660. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(96)00070-X
- Son, H. J., Jung, J. M., Hwang, Y. D., Roh, J. S., Yoo, P. J., 2008, Effects of activated carbon types and service life on adsorption of tetracycline antibiotic compounds in GAC process, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 30(9), 925-932.
- Son, H. J., Yeom, H. S., Ryu, D. C., Jang, S. H., Son, H. S., 2014, Characteristics of adsorption and biode-gradation of tetracycline antibiotics by granular activated carbon and biofiltration process, J. Environ. Sci. Intl., 23(3), 379-386. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.3.379
- Summers, R. S., Fuchs, F., Sontheimer, H., 1988, The fate and removal of radioactive iodine in the aquatic environment, In: Aquatic Humic Substances, 623-636.
- Tagami, K., Uchida, S., 2011, Can we remove iodine-131 from tap water in Japan by boiling? -experimental testing in response to the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant accident, Chemosphere, 84, 1282-1284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.05.050
- Huang, C. P., 1978, Chemical interactions between inorganics and activated carbon, In: Carbon Adsorption Handbook, Cheremisinoff, P. N. and Ellerbusch, F., (Eds) Ann Arbor Science Publishers, Inc, Ann Arbor, Miami, 281-329.
- Ikemoto, T., Magara, Y., 2011, Measures against impacts of nuclear disaster on drinking water supply systems in Japan, Water Practice and Technology, 6(4), doi:10.2166/wpt.2011.078. https://doi.org/10.2166/wpt.2011.0078
- Gafvert, T., Ellmark, C., Holm, E., 2002, Removal of radionuclides at a waterworks, J. Environ. Radioactivity, 63(2), 105-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0265-931X(02)00020-6
- Goossens, R., Delville, A., Genot, J., Halleux, R., Masschelein, W. J., 1989, Removal of the typical isotopes of the chernobyl fall-out by conventional water treatment, Water. Res., 23(6), 693-697. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(89)90201-7