- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Optimization of coagulation conditions for pretreatment of microfiltration process using response surface methodology
Jung, Jungwoo;Kim, Yoon-Jin;Park, Youn-Jong;Lee, Sangho;Kim, Dong-ha
- Received : 2015.01.09
- Accepted : 2015.06.05
- Published : 2015.09.30
The application of coagulation for feed water pretreatment prior to microfiltration (MF) process has been widely adopted to alleviate fouling due to particles and organic matters in feed water. However, the efficiency of coagulation pretreatment for MF is sensitive to its operation conditions such as pH and coagulant dose. Moreover, the optimum coagulation condition for MF process is different from that for rapid sand filtration in conventional drinking water treatment. In this study, the use of response surface methodology (RSM) was attempted to determine coagulation conditions optimized for pretreatment of MF. The center-united experimental design was used to quantify the effects of coagulant dose and pH on the control of fouling control as well as the removal organic matters. A MF membrane (SDI Samsung, Korea) made of polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) was used for the filtration experiments. Poly aluminum chloride (PAC) was used as the coagulant and a series of jar tests were conducted under various conditions. The flux was
Coagulation;Microfiltration;Optimization;Response surface methodology;Water treatment
- Zeman LJ, Zydney AL. Microfiltration and Ultrafiltration. 1996.
- Richard WB. Membrane technology and applications, 2nd ed. England: West Sussex; John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2004.
- Weber P, Knauf R. Ultrafiltration of surface water with (R)MOLPURE FW50 hollow fibre module. Desalination 1998;119:335-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(98)00178-7
- Jeong S, Choi YJ, Nguyen TV, Vigneswaran S, Hwang TM. Submerged membrane hybrid systems as pretreatment in seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO): Optimisation and fouling mechanism determination. J. Membr. Sci. 2012;411:173-181.
- Mosqueda-Jimenez DB, Narbaitz RM, Matsuura T. Membrane Fouling Test: Apparatus Evaluation. J. Environ. Eng. 2004;130:90-99. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2004)130:1(90)
- Neubrand W, Vogler S, Ernst M, Jekel M. Lab and pilot scale investigations on membrane fouling during the ultrafiltration of surface water. Desalination 2010;250:968-972. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2009.09.083
- Bai L, Qu F, Liang H, et al. Membrane fouling during ultrafiltration (UF) of surface water: Effects of sludge discharge interval (SDI). Desalination 2013;319:18-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2013.04.004
- Jermann D, Pronk W, Kagi R, Halbeisen M, Boller M. Influence of interactions between NOM and particles on UF fouling mechanisms. Water. Res. 2008;42:3870-3878. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.05.013
- Vedavyasan CV. Pretreatment trends - an overview. Desalination 2007;203:296-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2006.04.012
- Babel S, Takizawa S. Chemical pretreatment for reduction of membrane fouling caused by algae. Desalination 2011;274:171-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.02.008
- Heng L, Yanling YL, Weijia GJ, Xing L, Li GB. Effect of pretreatment by permanganate/chlorine on algae fouling control for ultrafiltration (UF) membrane system. Desalination 2008;222:74-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.01.126
- Dong BZ, Chen Y, Gao NY, Fan JC. Effect of coagulation pretreatment on the fouling of ultrafiltration membrane. J. Environ. Sci-China. 2007;19:278-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(07)60045-X
- Chen Y, Dong BZ, Gao NY, Fan JC. Effect of coagulation pretreatment on fouling of an ultrafiltration membrane. Desalination 2007;204:181-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2006.04.029
- Gao W, Liang H, Ma J, et al. Membrane fouling control in ultrafiltration technology for drinking water production: A review. Desalination 2011;272:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.01.051
- Baek SO, Chang IS. Pretreatments to control membrane fouling in membrane filtration of secondary effluents. Desalination 2009;244:153-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.04.043
- Yang HJ, Kim HS. Effect of coagulation on MF/UF for removal of particles as a pretreatment in seawater desalination. Desalination 2009;247:45-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.12.011
- Zondervan E, Roffel B. Modeling and optimization of membrane lifetime in dead-end ultra filtration. J. Membr. Sci. 2008;322:46-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2008.05.023
- Darcy H. Les fontaines publiques de La Ville Dijon. 1856.
- Bezerra MA, Santelli RE, Oliveira EP, Villar LS, Escaleira LA. Response surface methodology (RSM) as a tool for optimization in analytical chemistry. Talanta 2008;76:965-977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2008.05.019
- Myers RH, Montgomery DC. Response surface methodology : process and product optimization using designed experiments. Wiley series in probability and statistics Applied probability and statistics. New York: Wiley; 1995.
Supported by : Korea Ministry of Environment