- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characterization of composted chicken manures discharged from farms in South Korea
- Nguyen, Xuan Phuc ;
- Jho, Hoon ;
- Jeong, Yeon-Jae ;
- Jo, Young-Tae ;
- Islam, Mohammad Nazrul ;
- Park, Jeong-Hun
- Received : 2015.06.05
- Accepted : 2015.07.03
- Published : 2015.09.30
In this study, the characteristics as well as the maturity and stability of chicken manure collected from nine chicken farms in South Korea during the summer and winter seasons of 2014 are evaluated. The physicochemical parameter values of the manure, such as BOD,
- Wang K, Li X, He C, et al. Transformation of dissolved organic matters in swine, cow and chicken manures during composting. Bioresour. Technol. 2014;168: 222-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2014.03.129
- Bouwman AF, Booij H. Global use and trade of feedstuffs and consequences for the nitrogen cycle. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosys. 1998;52:26-267.
- Chau LH. Biodigester effluent versus manure, from pigs or cattle, as fertilizer for duckweed (Lemna spp.). Livest. Res. Rural. Dev. 1998;10:1-9.
- Magagula NEM, Ossom EM, Rhykerd RL, Rhykerd CL. Effects of chicken manure on soil porperties under sweetpotato [Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.] culture in Swaziland. American-Eurasian J. of Agronomy 2010;3:36-43.
- Ghanbarian D, Youneji S, Fallah S, Farhadi A. Effect of broiler litter on physical properties growth and yield of two cultivars of cantaloupe (Cucumis melo). Int. J. of Agric. & Biology. 2008;10:697-700.
- Dikinya O, Mufwanzala N. Chicken Manure-Enhanced Soil Fertility and Productivity: Effect of Application Rates. J. of Soil Sci. and Environ. Manage. 2010;1:46-54.
- Aboutayeb R, Mohamed E, Zhor A, Badr F, Yahya K. The use of composted poultry manure as an organic amendment: Effects on soil physicochemical properties and Mentha Spicata L. yield. Int. J. of Advanced Res. 2014;2:1109-1119.
- Niu Q, Hojo T, Qiao W, Qiang H, Li Y. Characterization of methanogenesis, acidogenesis and hydrolysis in thermophilic methane fermentation of chicken manure. Chem Eng. J. 2014;244:587-596. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2013.11.074
- Pierre G, Chilonda P, Franceschini G, Menzi H. Geographical determinants and environmental implications of livestock production intensification in Asia. Bioresour. Technol. 2005;96:263-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.05.016
- Liao Q, Huang D, Jiang Z, et al. Estimation of production amount of livestock and poultry manure and environmental impact assessment in Guangxi. Asian Agric. Res. 2013;5:93-96.
- Bernal MP, Paredes C, Sachez-Monedero MA, Cegarra J. Maturity and stability parameters of composts prepared with a wide range of organic wastes. Bioresour. Technol. 1998;63:91-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(97)00084-9
- Cambardella CA, Richard TL, Russell A. Compost mineralization in soil as a function of composting process conditions. European J. of Soil Biology 2003;39:117-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1164-5563(03)00027-X
- Mohamed AM, Sekar S, Muthukrishnan P. Prospects and potential of poultry manure. Asian J. of Plant Sci. 2010;9(4):172-182. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajps.2010.172.182
- Moral R, Paredes C, Bustamante MA. Marhuenda-Egea F., Bernal M. P. Utilisation of manure compost by high-value crops: Safety and environmental challenges. Bioresour. Technol. 2009;100:5454-5460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.12.007
- Guo R, Li G, Jiang T, et al. Effect of aeration rate, C/N ratio and moisture content on the stability and maturity of compost. Bioresour. Technol. 2012;112:171-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.02.099
- MOE. The Korean Standard Test (KST) Methods for waters. Gwachun, Kyunggi: Korean Ministry of Environ; 2008.
- APHA. Standard Method for the Examination of water and wastewater. Washington D. C: American Public Health Assoc; 1999.
- Kimura A, Sato S, Kato T, et al. Relationship between pH and Temperature in the ruminal fluid of cows, based on a Radio-Transmission pH-Measurement System. The J. of Veterinari. Medical Sci. 2012;74:1023-1028. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.12-0084
- Wenche B, Carlos D, Rune B. Effects of psychrophilic storage on manure as substrate for anaerobic digestion. BioMed. Res. Int. 2014;2014:1-8.
- Schroder JJ, Scholefield D, Cabral D, Holfman G. The effects of nutrient losses from agriculture on ground and surface water quality: the position of science in developing indicator for regulation. Env. Sci. & Policy. 2004;7:15-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2003.10.006
- Curley EM, O'Flyenn MG, Macdonel KP. Nitrate leaching losses from Miscanthus x giganteus: impact of ground water quality. J. of Agronomy 2009;8:107-112. https://doi.org/10.3923/ja.2009.107.112
- Masarirambi MT, Sibandze N, Wahome PK. Effect of kraal manure application rates on growth and yield of wild okra (Corchorus olitorious L) in a sub-tropical environment. Asian J. of Agric. Sci. 2011;4:89-95.
- Masarirambi MT, Dlamini P, Wahome PK, Oseni TO. Effects of chicken manure on growth, yield and quality of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) 'Taina' under a lath house in a semi-arid sub-tropical environment. American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. 2012;12 :399-406.
- Bertoldi DM, Vallini G, Pera A. The biology of composting: a review. Waste Manage. Res. 1983;1:157-176. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X8300100118
- Jusoh MLC, Manaf LA, Latiff PA. Composting of rice straw with effective microorganisms (EM) and its influence on compost quality. Iranian J. of Environ. Health Sci. & Eng. 2013;10:17. https://doi.org/10.1186/1735-2746-10-17
- Zmora-Nahum S, Markovitch O, Tarchitzky J, Chen Y. Dissolved organic carbon (DOC) as a parameter of compost maturity. Soil Biology. & Biochemist. 2005;37:2109-2116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2005.03.013
- Larney FJ, Hao X. A review of composting as a management alternative for beef cattle feedlot manure in southern Alberta, Canada. Bioresour. Technol. 2007;98:3221-3227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.07.005
- Iglesias-Jimenez E, Perez-Garcia V. Determination of maturity indices for city refuse composts. Agric. Ecosystems. & Environ. 1992;38: 331-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8809(92)90154-4
- California Compost Quality Council (CCQC). Compost Maturity Index. [Internet] Nevada, CA: c2001. [cited 2015 Apr 15]. Available from : http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/organics/products/quality/compmaturity.pdf.
- Sanchez-Mondero MA, Roig A, Paredes C, Bernal MP. Nitrogen transformation during organic waste composting by Rutgers system end its effects on pH, EC and maturity of the composting mixtures. Bioresour. Technol. 2001;78:301-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00031-1
- Zucconi F, de Bertoldi M. Compost specifications for the production and characterization of compost from municipal solid waste. Elsevier Applied Sci. 1987;30-50.
- Bernal MP, Alburquerque JA, Moral R. Composting of animal manures and chemical criteria for compost maturity assessment. A review. Bioresour. Technol. 2009;100:5444-5453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.11.027
- Dev R, Antil RS. Evaluation of maturity and stability parameters of composts prepared from agro-industrial wastes. Bioresour. Technol. 2011;102:2868-2873. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.10.077
- Bioconversion of flowers waste: Composting using dry leaves as bulking agent vol.22, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2016.126