- Volume 20 Issue 3
Complicated and expensive seawater desalination technology is a big challenge in boron removal process. Conventional seawater desalination process of coagulation utilized for pre-treatment is difficult to remove boron. Boron can be removed more effectively in Reverse Osmosis (RO) process than any other processes. In this study, a coagulant with the name Mineral Cluster was examined its boron removal ability. Boron removal efficiency of Mineral Cluster depended on pH value and Mineral Cluster dosage. Desalination process combines the pre-treatment process with Mineral cluster diluted at the ratio of 1:2500 and the RO membrane process. The original sea water could be desalinated to drinking water quality, 1 mg/L, without any pH adjustments. Therefore, if the Mineral cluster is added without any other chemicals for adjusting pH, the desalination process would be much safer, efficient and economical.
Black Mica;Boron;Desalination;Illite;Mineral Cluster;RO membrane
- Penland JG, Dietary boron, brain function, and cognitive performance. Environ. health perspect. 1994;102:65. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.94102s765
- Bakirdere S, Orenay S, Korkmaz M. Effect of Boron on Human Health. TOMPJ, 2010;3:54-59. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874841401003010054
- Redondo J, Busch M, De Witte JP. Boron removal from seawater using FILMTECTM high rejection SWRO membranes. Desalination 2003;156:229-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(03)00345-X
- Linden CH, et al. Acute ingestions of boric acid. Clin. Toxicol. 1986;24:69-279.
- Tu KL, Nghiem LD, Chivas AR. Boron removal by reverse osmosis membranes in seawater desalination applications. Sep. Purif. Technol. 2010;75:87-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2010.07.021
- WHO. Guidelines for drinking-water quality. 3rd ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004. p. 27.
- Hong Hong V, Bong-Yeon C. A study on Boron Removal by Mineral Cluster Coagulant for Seawater Desalination Application. Env. Eng. Res. 2011;16:227-230. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2011.16.4.227
- Clescerl LS, Greenberg AE, Eaton AD. Standard Methods for Examination of Water & Wastewater. 20th ed. Washington, DC: Amer Public Health Assn; 1999.
- Hilal N, Kim GJ, Somerfield C. Boron removal from saline water: A comprehensive review. Desalination 2011;273:23-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.05.012
- Department of the army. Chapter 8: Coagulants, Polyelectrolytes, and Coagulant Aids. In: Engineering Manual. Washington, DC:U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; 2002.
- Liu H, et al. Boron adsorption by composite magnetic particles. Chem. Eng. J. 2009;151:235-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2009.03.001
- Bratby J. Coagulation and flocculation in water and wastewater treatment. Seattle: IWA. Publishing London; 2006.
- Cho HS, Kim EY, Jeong GY. Surface Chemical Properties of the Youngdong Illite Ore: The pH of Zero Proton Charge and Surface Site Density. J. Miner. Soc. Korea 2001;14:12.
- Cho HG, et al. Phosphate Adsorption of Youngdong Illite, Korea. J. Miner. Soc. Korea 2007;20:327-337.
- Bernstein R, Belfer S, Freger V. Toward Improved Boron Removal in RO by Membrane Modification: Feasibility and Challenges. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2011;45:3613-3620. https://doi.org/10.1021/es103991u