- Volume 20 Issue 3
Evaluation of impact of climate variability on water resources and yield capacity of selected reservoirs in the north central Nigeria
DOI QR Code
Salami, Adebayo Wahab;Ibrahim, Habibat;Sojobi, Adebayo Olatunbosun
- 투고 : 2015.04.29
- 심사 : 2015.08.31
- 발행 : 2015.09.30
This paper presents the evaluation of the impact of climate change on water resources and yield capacity of Asa and Kampe reservoirs. Trend analysis of mean temperature, runoff, rainfall and evapotranspiration was carried out using Mann Kendall and Sen's slope, while runoff was modeled as a function of temperature, rainfall and evapotranspiration using Artificial Neural Networks (ANN). Rainfall and runoff exhibited positive trends at the two dam sites and their upstream while forecasted ten-year runoff displayed increasing positive trend which indicates high reservoir inflow. The reservoir yield capacity estimated with the ANN forecasted runoff was higher by about 38% and 17% compared to that obtained with historical runoff at Asa and Kampe respectively. This is an indication that there is tendency for water resources of the reservoir to increase and thus more water will be available for water supply and irrigation to ensure food security.
Asa river;Climate variability;Kampe river;Reservoir yield;Runoff
- Douville H, Chauvin F, Planton S, Royer JF, Salas-Melia D, Tyteca S. Sensitivity of the Hydrological Cycle in Increasing Amounts of Greenhouse Gases and Aerosols. Climate Dyn. 2002;20:45-68. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-002-0259-3
- Barnett TP, Adam JC, Lettenmaier DP. Potential Impacts of a Warming Climate on Water Availability in Snow-Dominated Regions. Nature 2005;438:303-309. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04141
- Gleick, P.H. Climate change, hydrology and water resources. Rev. Geophys. 1989;27:329-344. https://doi.org/10.1029/RG027i003p00329
- McBean E, Motiee H. Assessment of Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources: a long term analysis of the Great Lakes of North America. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2008;2:239-255.
- Burn DH, Simonovic SP. Sensitivity of Reservoir Operation Performance to Climatic Change. Water Resour. Manag. 1996;10:463-478. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00422550
- Elgaali E, Garcia L A. Using Neural Networks to Model the Impacts of Climate Change on Water Supplies. J. Water Res. PL-ASCE. 2007;133:230-243. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9496(2007)133:3(230)
- Chen J, Wu X, Finlayson BL, et al. Variability and trend in the hydrology of the Yangtze River, China: annual precipitation and runoff. J. Hydrol. 2014;513:403-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.03.044
- Salami AW, Mohammed AA, Okeola OG. Evaluation of Climate Change Impact on Runoff in the Kainji Lake Basin Using Artificial Neural Network Model (ANN). Malaysian Journal of Civil Engineering. 2014b;26:35-50.
- Michael AM. Irrigation Theory and Practice. Vikas: New Delhi;1985.
- Viessman W, Knapp GLL, Harbough TE. Introduction to Hydrology. 3rd ed. New York: Harper and Row; 1989.
- Schwab OG, Fangmeier DD, Elliot JW, Frevert KR. Soil and Water Conservation Engineering. 4th ed. New York: John Willey; 1993.
- Helsel DR, Hirsch RM. Statistical methods in water resources. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 1992.
- Salmi T, Maatta A, Anttila P, Ruoho-Airola T, Amnell T. Detecting Trends of Annual Values of Atmospheric Pollutants by the Mann-Kendall Test and Sen's Slope Estimates -The Excel Template Application Makesens. Helsinki: Finnish Meteorological Institute, Publications on Air Quality; 2002.
- Loucks PD, Jerry RS, Douglas AS. Water Resources System Planning and Analysis. US: Prentice-Hall; 1981.