- Volume 15 Issue 9
The purpose of this study was to clarify differences between adolescents from multicultural and ordinary Korean families in subjective oral symptoms. Moreover, this will be provide information in the policy making process that enhancing health equity. Data of 66,857 adolescents aged 12 to 18 years were derived from the 10th Korean Youth's Risk Web-based Study, which was conducted in 2014. Multiple logistic regression analysis revealed that subjective oral symptoms were related with sex, age, academic achievement, paternal education, maternal education, subjective economic status, residential type, smoking, alcohol consumption, drinking soft drink, eating fruits, eating snacks, and tooth brushing frequency. In conclusion, welfare and health services for multicultural family should be expanded and those ought to focus on increasing multicultural youth at the same time.
Adolescent;Multicultural;Subjective Oral Symptom
- S. T. Ng, H. Tengku-Aizan, and N. P. Tey, "Perceived health status and daily activity participation of older Malaysians", Asia Pac J Public Health, Vol.23, No.4, pp.470-484, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539510374751
- D. C. Seo, M. R. Torabi, N. Jiang, X. Fernandez-Rojas, and B. H. Park, "Correlates of college students' physical activity: cross-cultural differences", Asia Pac J Public Health, Vol.21, No.4, pp.421-432, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539509344112
- M. Ueno, T. Zaitsu, S. Ohara, C. Wright, and Y. Kawaguchi, "Factors Influencing Perceived Oral Health of Japanese Middle-Aged Adults", Asia Pac J Public Health, 2011[Epub ahead of print].
- M. Furuta, D. Ekuni, S. Takao, E. Suzuki, M. Morita, and I. Kawachi, "Social capital and self-rated oral health among young people," Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.40, No.2, pp.97-104, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2011.00642.x
- G. R. Samorodnitzky and L. Levin, "Self-assessed dental status, oral behavior, DMF, and dental anxiety", J Dent Educ, Vol.69, No.12, pp.1385-1389, 2005.
- P. G. Robinson, P. Nadanovsky, and A. Sheiham, "Can questionnaires replace clinical surveys to assess dental treatment needs of adults?", J Public Health Dent, Vol.58, No.3, pp.250-253, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1998.tb03002.x
- A. D. Gilbert and N. M. Nuttall, "Self-reporting of periodontal health status", Br Dent J, Vol.186, No.5, pp.241-244, 1999.
- L. A. Heloe, "Comparison of dental health data obtained from questionnaires, interviews and clinical examination", Scand J Dent Res, Vol.80, No.6, pp.495-499, 1972.
- G. ter Horst and C. A. de Wit, "Review of behavioural research in dentistry 1987-1992: dental anxiety, dentist-patient relationship, compliance and dental attendance", Int Dent J, Vol.43, No.3, pp.265-278, 1993.
- I. Eli, Oral psychophysiology: stress, pain and behavior in dental care, CRC press, 1992.
- L. G. Ost, "Age of onset in different phobias," J Abnorm Psychol, Vol.96, No.3, pp.223-239, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.96.3.223
- W. M. Thomson, D. Locker, and R. Poulton, "Incidence of dental anxiety in young adults in relation to dental treatment experience," Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.28, No.4, pp.289-294, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.280407.x
- A. Liddell and D. Locker, "Dental anxiety in the elderly", Psychol Health, Vol.8, No.3, pp.175-183, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449308403177
- 권수진, 최유진, "경남지역 청소년들의 치과진료 형태가 치과공포감에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제2호, pp.277-285, 2010.
- E. Honkala, S. Honkala, A. Rimpela, and M. Rimpela, "The trend and risk factors of perceived toothache among Finnish adolescents from 1977 to 1997", J Dent Res, Vol.80, No.9, pp.1823-1827, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345010800091001
- U. Glendor, "Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries-a 12 year review of the literature", Dent Traumatol, Vol.24, No.6, pp.603-611, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2008.00696.x
- P. Nadanovsky, L. B. Carvalho, and A. Ponce de Leon, "Oral malodour and its association with age and sex in a general population in Brazil", Oral Dis, Vol.13, No.1, pp.105-109, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01257.x
- B. M. Eley and J. D. Manson, Periodontics, Wright publishing, 2010.
- P. Kallio and H. Murtomaa, "Determinants of self-assessed gingival health among adolescents", Acta Odontol Scand, Vol.55, No.2, pp.106-110, 1997. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016359709115401
- 전은숙, 진혜정, 최순례, 장분자, 정선영, 송근배, 최연희, "대구 지역거주 다문화가족의 구강건강 상태에 관한 조사", 대한구강보건학회지, 제33권, 제3호, pp.499-509, 2009.
- 서윤진, 이광희, 라지영, 안소연, 김윤희, "전북지역 다문화가족 어린이의 구강건강 실태조사", 대한소아치과학회지, 제38권, 제2호, pp.137-145, 2011.
- 이나경, 오효원, 이흥수, "다문화가족과 일반가족 모자의 구강보건행태 비교 분석", 대한구강보건학회지, 제35권, 제4호, pp.450-456, 2011.
- J. L. Antunes, P. C. Narvai, and Z. J. Nugent, "Measuring inequalities in the distribution of dental caries", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.32, No.1, pp.41-48, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00125.x
- R. K. Celeste and P. Nadanovsky, "Income and oral health relationship in Brazil: is there a threshold?", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.37, No.4, pp.285-293, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00474.x
- R. Lopez, O. Fernandez, and V. Baelum, "Social gradients in periodontal diseases among adolescents", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.34, No.3, pp.184-196, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00271.x
- M. A. Peres, K. G. Peres, A. J. de Barros, and C. G. Victora, "The relation between family socioeconomic trajectories from childhood to adolescence and dental caries and associated oral behaviours", J Epidemiol Community Health, Vol.61, No.2, pp.141-145, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2005.044818
- I. Perera and L. Ekanayake, "Social gradient in dental caries among adolescents in Sri Lanka," Caries Res, Vol.42, No.2, pp.105-111, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1159/000116874
- M. P. Pattussi, M. T. Olinto, R. Hardy, and A. Sheiham, "Clinical, social and psychosocial factors associated with self-rated oral health in Brazilian adolescents", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.35, No.5, pp.377-386, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00339.x
- A. Pau, R. E. Croucher, and W. Marcenes, "Demographic and socio-economic correlates of dental pain among adults in the United Kingdom, 1998", Br Dent J, Vol.202, No.9, pp.548-549, 2007.
- S. H. Jung, R. G. Watt, A. Sheiham, J. I. Ryu, and G. Tsakos, "Exploring pathways for socio-economic inequalities in self-reported oral symptoms among Korean adolescents," Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.39, No.3, pp.221-229, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00595.x
- B. Piko and K. M. Fitzpatrick, "Does class matter? SES and psychosocial health among Hungarian adolescents", Soc Sci Med, Vol.53, No.6, pp.817-830, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00379-8
- B. F. Piko and K. M. Fitzpatrick, "Socioeconomic status, psychosocial health and health behaviours among Hungarian adolescents", Eur J Public Health, Vol.17, No.4, pp.353-360, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckl257
- R. G. Watt, "Strategies and approaches in oral disease prevention and health promotion", Bull World Health Organ, Vol.83, No.9, pp.711-718, 2005.