- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on Factors Influencing Brand Attitude and Customer Loyalty in China's Smartphone Market
중국스마트폰 시장에서 브랜드태도와 고객충성도에 미치는 요인에 관한 연구
- Fan, Liu (College of Economics and Management, Shandong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Moon, Jae-Young
- Received : 2015.04.23
- Accepted : 2015.05.12
- Published : 2015.09.28
The China smartphone market saw continuous growth since 2010, with total smartphone users up to 5,190 million by the end of 2014. For marketers, it seems some careful consideration will be required when it comes to deciding on how to capture loyal customers to bring profit for a company. Thus, this study aims to develop a model to investigate the factors influencing customer loyalty through brand attitude in China's smartphone market. Twelve research hypotheses derived from this model are validated using a field survey of Sumsung smartphone users in China. The results indicate that customer loyalty is jointly influenced by brand loyalty and perceived product quality. At the same time, critical mass and perceived product quality has a significant influence on brand image.
Brand Image;Customer Loyalty;Structural Equation Model;Brand Attitude
Supported by : Shandong University of Science and Technology
- A. Bhattacherjee, "An empirical analysis of the antecedents of electronic commerce service continuance", Decision Support Systems, Vol.32, No.2, pp.201-214, 2001a. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-9236(01)00111-7
- A. Chen, "Using free association to examine the relationship between the characteristics of brand associations and brand equity", Journal of product and brand management, Vol.10, No.7, pp.439-451, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420110410559
- A. Cretu and R. Brodie, "The influence of brand image and company reputation where manufacturers market to small firms: a customer value perspective", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.36, No.2, pp.230-240, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.08.013
- A. Dick and K. Basu, "Customer loyalty: toward an integrated conceptual framework", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.22, No.2, pp.99-113, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394222001
- C. Lin, S. Wu, and R. Tsai, Integrating perceived playfulness into expectation? confirmation model for web portal context", Information & Management, Vol.42, pp.683-693, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2004.04.003
- D. Aaker and K. Keller, "Consumer evaluations of brand extensions", Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.54, pp.27-41, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252171
- D. Garvin, "What does 'product quality' really mean?", Sloan Management Review, Vol.26, No.1, pp.25-43, 1984.
- D. Garvin, "Competing on the eight dimensions of quality", Harvard Business Review, Vol.65, No.6, pp.101-109, 1987.
- D. Schoder, "Forecasting the success of telecommunication services in the presence of network effects", Information Economics and Policy, Vol.12, No.2, pp.181-200, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6245(00)00006-8
- E. Karahanna, D. Straub, and N. Chervany, "Information technology adoption across time: A cross-sectional comparison of pre-adoption and post-adoption beliefs", MIS Quarterly, Vol.23, No.2, pp.183-213, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/249751
- E. Rogers, A history of communication study: A biographical approach, New York: Free Press, 1994.
- F. Buttle, I heard it through the grapevine: Issues in referral marketing, In Proceedings of the 5th International Colloquium in Relationship Marketing. Cranfield School of Management, Cranfield University, England, 1997.
- H. Giroux, "'It was such a handy term': management fashions and pragmatic ambiguity," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.43, No.6, pp.1227-1260, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00623.x
- H. Lin and Y. Wang, "An examination of the determinants of customer loyalty in mobile commerce contexts", Information & Management, Vol.43, No.3, pp.271-282, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2005.08.001
- J. Ajzen and M. Fishbein, Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behavior, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. 1980.
- J. Bloemer and H. Kasper, "The complex relationship between consumer satisfaction and brand loyalty", Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol.16, No.2, pp.311-29, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(95)00007-B
- J. Katz and S. Sugiyama, "Mobile Phones as Fashion Statements: Evidence from Student Surveys in The US and Japan", New Media & Society, Vol.8, No.2, pp.321-337, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444806061950
- J. Priester, N. Dhananjay, M. Fleming, and G. John, "The A2SC2 model: the influence of attitudes and attitude strength on consideration and choice", Journal of consumer research, Vol.30, No.2, pp.574-587, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1086/380290
- J. Rohlfs, Bandwagon Effects in High-Technology Industries, Cambridge, USA: MIT Press. 2001.
- J. Thong, S. Hong, and K. Tam, "The effects of post-adoption beliefs on the expectation? confirmation model for information technology continuance", International Journal of Human Computer Systems, Vol.64, pp.799-810, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.05.001
- K. Keller, Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1998.
- Mo. Solomon, Consumer Behavior, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. 1998.
- R. Buzzell and B. Gale, The PIMS Principles: Linking Strategy to Performance, New York, NY: The Free Press. 1987.
- R. Hall, "The strategic analysis of intangible resources", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.13, No.2, pp.135-44, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250130205
- M. Holbrook and P. Kim, Quality and Value in the Consumption Experience: Phaedrus Rides Again, in Perceived Quality, J. Jacoby and J. Olson, eds., Lexington, MA.: Lexington Books, 1985.
- M. Morrin, "The impact of brand extensions on parent brand memory structures and retrieval processes", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.19, No.36, pp.517-525, 1999.
- O. Turel and A. Serenko, "Satisfaction with mobile services in Canada: An empirical investigation", Telecommunication Policy, Vol.30, No.5-6, pp.314-331, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2005.10.003
- R. Oliver, Satisfaction: A behavioral Perspective on the Consumer, McGraw-Kill, New York, 1997.
- R. Westbrook, "Product/consumption-based affective responses and post-purchase process," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.24, No.3, pp.258-270, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151636
- S. Milberg, C. Park, and M. McCarthy, "Managing negative feedback effects associated with brand extensions: the impact of alternative branding strategies", Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.6, No.2, pp.119-140, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp0602_01
- S. Ryan and C. Tucker, Heterogeneity and the dynamics of technology adoption, Working Paper 06-26, NET Institute, 2006.
- T. Brown and P. Dacin, "The company and the product: corporate associations and consumer product responses", Journal of Marketing, Vol.61, No.1, pp.68-84, 1997.
- V. Zeithaml, "Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means-end model and synthesis of evidence", Journal of Marketing, Vol.52, pp.2-22, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- Y. Shetty, "Product quality and competitive strategy", Business Horizons, Vol.30, No.3, pp.46-52, 1987.