- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Parent Company Image on Brand Portfolio Evaluation
모기업 연상이 브랜드 포트폴리오 평가에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.04.13
- Accepted : 2015.05.12
- Published : 2015.09.28
Today's companies build strong brand assets which, through the expansion of other business areas, promote efficient corporate management. Many companies manage brand assets among through a multitude of brand groups using brand portfolios rather than the single brand strategy. Such brand group influence can be related not only to brand group expansion, but also to parent company brands and product brand groups. The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of parent corporate brand associations on brand portfolio evaluation. The results of the present study is as follows: positive parent corporate brand image was revealed to play a positive role in brand portfolio evaluation. Parent corporate brand image provided endorsement for their product brands, and this can reduce consumer's decision cost on brand portfolio evaluations. This study focused on two types of brand relationship strategy : brand expansion strategy and individual brand strategy. With individual brand strategy, cases where parent company brands provided endorsement and cases to the contrary were studied separately. In cases where well-managed parent corporate brand image were able to provide endorsement in the case of individual brand strategy like that of brand expansion strategy.
Brand Portfolio;Endorsement;Brand Relationship Spectrum;Identification Cost;Decision Cost
- D. A. Aaker and K. L. Keller, "Consumer evaluations of brand extensions", The Journal of Marketing, pp.27-41, 1990.
- A. Muthukrishnan and B. A. Weitz, "Role of product knowledge in evaluation of brand extension", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.18, pp.407-413, 1991.
- C. W. Park, "Evaluation of brand extensions: the role of product feature similarity and brand concept consistency", Journal of consumer research, pp.185-193, 1991.
- 박성준 외, "모바일 서비스에서 브랜드 확장이 모브랜드에 미치는 영향", 한국컨텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제1호, pp.388-417, 2015.
- 김기석, 신봉섭, "모브랜드상품-확장브랜드 제품간 유사성이 확장제품평가에 미치는 영향", 한국컨텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제11호, pp.378-389, 2011
- B. Loken and D. R. John, "Diluting brand beliefs: when do brand extensions have a negative impact?", The Journal of Marketing, pp.71-84, 1993.
- 김동태, 기업연상이 브랜드 애호도에 미치는 영향, 서울대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2007.
- P. A. Dacin and D. C. Smith, "The effect of brand portfolio characteristics on consumer evaluations of brand extensions", Journal of Marketing Research, pp.229-242, 1994.
- D. A. Aaker and E. Joachimsthaler, Brand leadership: The next level of the brand revolution, New York, 2000.
- M. Petromilli, et al., "Brand architecture: building brand portfolio value", Strategy & leadership, Vol.30, pp.22-28, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/10878570210442524
- W. Lassar, et al., "Measuring customer-based brand equity", Journal of consumer marketing, Vol.12, pp.11-19, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769510095270
- J. A. Morein, "Shift from brand to product line marketing", Harvard Business Review, Vol.53, pp.56-64, 1975.
- 홍성태, 손일권, "브랜드 포트폴리오 특성과 기업 이미지가 소비자의 제품평가에 미치는 영향", 경제연구, Vol.19, pp.243-277, 1998.
- J. Trout and A. Ries, Positioning: The battle for your mind: Replay Radio, Radio New Zealand, 2000.
- D. DelVecchio, "Moving beyond fit: the role of brand portfolio characteristics in consumer evaluations of brand reliability", Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol.9, pp.457-471, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420010351411
- 김동태, 김재일, "기업연상과 브랜드 애호도간 이중 경로관계 모형", 마케팅연구, Vol.23, pp.141-162, 2008.
- E. Van Herpen and R. Pieters, "Anticipated identification costs: Improving assortment evaluation by diagnostic attributes", International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.24, pp.77-88, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2006.09.005
- S. M. Shugan, "The cost of thinking", Journal of consumer research, pp.99-111, 1980.
- M. G. Fennema and D. N. Kleinmuntz, "Anticipations of effort and accuracy in multiattribute choice", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.63, pp.21-32, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1995.1058
- B. Schwartz and K. Kliban, "The paradox of choice: Why more is less", 2004.
- S. M. Broniarczyk and A. D. Gershoff, "The reciprocal effects of brand equity and trivial attributes", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.40, pp.161-175, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.126.96.36.19922
- G. Berens, et al., "Corporate associations and consumer product responses: The moderating role of corporate brand dominance", Journal of Marketing, Vol.69, pp.35-48, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.52357
- T. J. Brown and P. A. Dacin, "The company and the product: Corporate associations and consumer product responses", The Journal of Marketing, pp.68-84, 1997.
- R. Madrigal, "The role of corporate associations in new product evaluation", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.27, pp.80-86, 2000.
- 김상훈 외, "소비자의 브랜드 진정성 지각과 관련된 브랜드 속성", 한국컨텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제11권, pp.398-410, 2014
- G. Berens and C. van Riel, "Corporate associations in the academic literature: Three main streams of thought in the reputation measurement literature", Corporate Reputation Review, Vol.7, pp.161-178, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.crr.1540218
- X. Liu and M. Y. Hu, "Umbrella brand price premiums: effects of compatibility, similarity, and portfolio size", Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol.20, pp.58-64, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421111108021
- T. Erdem and J. Swait, "Brand equity as a signaling phenomenon", Journal of consumer Psychology, Vol.7, pp.131-157, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp0702_02
- A. B. Monga and D. R. John, "What makes brands elastic? The influence of brand concept and styles of thinking on brand extension evaluation", Journal of Marketing, Vol.74, pp.80-92, 2010.
- S. Chatterjee and T. B. Heath, "Conflict and loss aversion in multiattribute choice: The effects of trade-off size and reference dependence on decision difficulty", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.67, pp.144-155, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1996.0070