- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Moderating Effects of Political Skill in the Relations Perceived Co-Workers Politics-OCBC and -Turnover Intention
동료 조직정치지각과 동료지향 조직시민행동 및 이직의도 관계에서 정치적 기술의 조절효과
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.08.10
- Published : 2015.09.28
The present study is aimed to investigate on the moderation of self-rated political skill on the relationships between perceived co-workers' politics and outcome variables (OCB toward co-workers and turnover intention). The used data for analysis was collected from 375 employees who have worked for public and private companies located in Jeju. The results are as follows. First, the main impacts of perceived co-workers politics(PCP) on OCB-C was not statistically significant, whereas the relation of PCP to turnover was positively significant. Second, moderating effects by political skill in the relationship perceived co-workers' politics and OCB-C was not significant, but the moderation in the relation perceived co-workers' politics-to-turnover intention was supported. Implications of the current study are 1) the casual effects of politics on OCB was demonstrated, in particular, the results of previous studies which was not consistent to account for the impact of politics on OCB was proved by the differentiation of research target. The result will help to understand perceived politics. In addition, moderation of political skill in the relation perceived co-workers' politics-to-turnover intention will contribute to expand researcher area of political skill.
Perceived Co-worker Politics;OCB-C;Turnover Intention;Political Skill
- H. Marlowe, "Socal Intelligence: Evidence for Multidimensional and Construct Independence," Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.78, pp.52-58, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.124
- L. K. Zellars L. O. Perrew, M. A. Rossi, J. B. Tepper, and R. G. Ferris, "Moderating effects of political skill, perceived control, and self-efficacy on the relationship between negative affectivity and physiological strain", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.29, pp.549-571, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.484
- M. Abelson and B. Baysinger, "Optimal and Dysfunctional Turnover: Toward an Organizational Level Model", Academy of Management Review, Vol.9, No.2, pp.331-342, 1984.
- H. Mintzberg, Power in and around Organizations. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. 1983.
- C. Michael and P. Spector, "Causes of Employee Turnover: A Test of the Mobley, Griffeth, Hand, and Meglino model", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.67, No.1, pp.52-59, 1982.
- L. R. Brouer, R. G. Ferris, A. W. Hochwarter, D. M. Laird, and C. D. Gilmore, The strain-related reactions to perceptions of organizational politics as a workplace stressor: Political skill as a neutralizer. In E. Vigoda-Gadot, & A. Drory (Eds.), Handbook of organizational politics (pp.187-206), Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing, Inc. 2006.
- K. K. Ahearn, R. G Ferris, A. W. Hochwarter, C. Douglas, and P. A. Ammeter, "Leader political skill and team performance", Journal of Management, Vol.30, No.3, pp.309-327, 2004.
- J. B. Alge, A. G. Ballinger, S. Tangirala, and L. J. Oakley, "Information privacy in organizations: Empowering creative and extra-role performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.91, No.1, pp.221-232, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.1.221
- W. R. Allen, L. D. Madison, W. L. Porter, A. P. Renwick, and T. B. Mayers, "Organizational politics: Tactics and characteristics of its actors", California Management Review, Vol.22, pp.77-83, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/41164852
- 배성현, 김미선, "조직정치와 조직시민행동, 직무 긴장, 이직의도와 관계 및 조직지원 인식의 매개 효과", 조직과 인사관리연구, 제34권, 제2호, pp.1-30, 2010.
- M. R. Baron and A. D. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- N. M. Bing, H. Davison, I. Minor, M. M. Novicevic, and D. D. Frink, "The prediction of task and contextual performance by political skill: A meta-analysis and moderator test," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.79, No.2, pp.563-577, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.02.006
- P. D. Bozeman, L. P. Perrewe, M. K. Kcmar, A. W. Hochwarter and A. R. Brymer, An examination of reactions to perceptions of organizational politics, Paper presented at the 1996 Southern Management Association Meetings, New Orleans, LA, 1996.
- T. Burns, "Micro politics: Mechanism of organizational change", Science Quarterly, Vol.6, pp.257-281, 1961.
- C. Camman, M. Fichman, D. Jenkins, and J. Klesh, The Michigan organizational assessment questionnaire, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1979.
- L. K. Zellars, L. P. Perrewee, M. A. Rossi, J. B. Tepper, and R. G. Ferris, "Moderating effects of political skill, perceived control, and self-efficacy on the relationship between negative affectivity and physiological strain," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.29, No.3, pp.549-571, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.484
- J. Zhou and R. G. Ferris, "The Dimensions and consequences of organizational Politics perceptions: A confirmatory analysis", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.25, No.19, pp.1747-1764, 1997.
- 최연, "자기희생적 리더십이 구성원의 조직성과에 미치는 영향: 직장영성에 의한 매개효과", Journal of Korea Data Analysis Society, Vol.16, pp.1473-1484, 2014.
- M. J. Conway, "Distinguishing contextual performance from task performance for managerial jobs", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.84, No.1, pp.3-13, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.1.3
- R. Cropanzano, C. J. Howes, A. A. Grandey, and P. Toth, "The relationship of organizational politics and support to work behaviors, attitudes, and stress", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.18, No.2, pp.159-180, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199703)18:2<159::AID-JOB795>3.0.CO;2-D
- A. Drory, "Perceived political climate and job attitudes", Organization Studies, Vol.14, No.1, pp.59-71, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1177/017084069301400105
- 엄유경, "조직정치가 지식공유에 미치는 영향: 교사의 조직정치지각과 정치적 기술을 중심으로", HRD연구, 제16권, 제1호, pp.207-230, 2014.
- R. G. Ferris, D. Fedor, J. G. Chachere, and L. Pondy, "Myths and politics in organizational contexts", Group & Organizational Studies, Vol.14, No.1, pp.88-103, 1989.
- R. G. Ferri and M. K. Kacmar, "Perception of organizational politics", Journal of Management, Vol.18, No.1, pp.93-116, 1992.
- R. G. Ferris, C. D. Treadway, W. R. Kolodinsky, A. W. Hochwarter, J. C. Kacmar, and C. Douglas, "Development and validation of the political skill inventory", Journal of Management, Vol.31, No.1, pp.126-152, 2005.
- M. Fishbein and I. Ajzen, Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- D. Goleman, Emotional intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ, Bloomsbury Publishing, London, 1996.
- B. Gray and S. S. Ariss, "Politics and strategic change across organizational life cycles", Journal of Management Review, Vol.10, No.4, pp.707-723, 1985.
- J. K. Harris, C. M. Andrews, and M. K. Kacmar, "The moderating effects of justice on the relationship between organizational politics and workplace attitudes", Journal of Business and Psychology, Vol.22, No.2, pp.135-144, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-007-9054-9
- A. R. Harris, J. K. Harris and P. Harvey, "A test of competing models of the relationships among perceptions of organizational politics, perceived organizational support, and individual outcomes", Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.147, No.6, pp.631-655, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.147.6.631-656
- A. W. Hochwarter, L. P. Perrewe, R. G. Ferris, and R. Guercio, "Commitment as an antidote to the tension and turnover consequences of organizational politics", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.55, No.3, pp.277-297, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1999.1684
- 장진혁, 유태용, "조직 내 정치적 행동 지각과 이직의도 간의 관계: 스트레스, 조직몰입의 매개효과와 정직성의 조절효과", 한국심리학회지 산업 및 조직, 제26권, 제3권, pp.413-436, 2013.
- I. M. Jawahar, T. H. Stone, and J. L. Kisamore, "Role conflict and burnout: The direct and moderating effects of political skill and perceived organizational support on burnout dimensions," International Journal of Stress Management, Vol.14, No.2, pp.142-159, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/1072-5245.14.2.142
- 지성호, 강영순, "목표지향성과 혁신행동의 관계에서 지속학습활동의 매개효과", Journal of Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.14, No.5, pp.2745-2759, 2012.
- 지성호, 강영순, "상사 커뮤니케이션 능력과 조직 시민행동의 관계에서 직무열의 및 지각된 상사관계의 매개효과", Journal of Korea Data Analysis Society, Vol.15, No.5, pp.2809-2824, 2013.
- 지성호, 강영순, "주도성 및 상사코칭과 조직경력 성장의 관계에서 지속경력학습의 매개효과", 조직과 인사관리연구, 제38권, 제3호, pp.151-180, 2014a.
- 지성호, 강영순, "셀프리더십과 주관적 경력성공의 관계에서 감정활용능력의 조절효과 : 한국인과 중국인을 대상으로", 상업교육연구, 제28권, 제6호, pp.151-185, 2014b.
- M. K. Kacmar, M. C. Andrews, K. J. Harris, and B. J. Tepper, "Ethical Leadership and Subordinate Outcomes: The Mediating Role of Organizational Politics and the Moderating Role of Political Skill", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.115, No.1, pp.33-44, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1373-8
- M. K. Kacmar, P. D. Bozeman, S. D. Carlson, and P. W. Anthony, "An examination of the perceptions of organizational politics model: Replication and extension", Human Relations, Vol.52, No.3, pp.383-416, 1999.
- M. K. Kacmar and R. G. Ferris, "Perceptions of organizational politics scale(POPS): Development and construct validation", Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.51, No.2, pp.193-205, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164491511019
- B. R. Kline, Principles and practice of structural equation modeling, New York: The Guilford Press, 2005.
- 이근환, 장영철, "조직정치지각의 선행요인에 관한 연구", 대한경영학회지, 제25권, 제4호, pp.1991-2019, 2012..
- 임창희, 조직이론, 학현사, 2010.
- Y. Liu, R. G. Ferris, R. Zinko, L. P. Perrewee, B. Weitz, and J. Xu, "Dispositional antecedents and outcomes of political skill in organizations: A our-study investigation with convergence," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.71, No.1, pp.146-165, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2007.04.003
- J. Maslyn and B. D. Fedor, "Perceptions of politics: Does measuring different foci matter?," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.84, No.4, pp.645-653, 1998.
- D. J. Mayer and P. Salovey, What is emotional intelligence?, In P. Salovey & D. Sluyter (Eds.), Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence: Educational Implications, 3-34. New York: Basic Books, 1997.
- T. B. Mayes and W. R. Allen, "Toward a definition of organizational politics", Academy of Management Review, Vol.2, No.4, pp.672-678, 1977.
- L. B. McNeely and B. M. Meglino, "The role of dispositional and situational antecedents in prosocial organizational behavior: An examination of the intended beneficiaries of prosocial behavior", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.79, No.6, pp.836-844, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.79.6.836
- E. C. Michael and E. P. Spector, "Causes of employee turnover: a test of the Mobley Griffeth, Hand and Meglino model", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.67, No.1, pp.53-59, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.67.1.53
- W. R. Allen, L. D. Madison, W. L. Porter, A. P. Renwick, and T. B. Mayer, "Organizational politics: Tactics and characteristics of its actors", California Management Review, Vol.22, pp.77-83, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/41164852
- W. Mobley, Employee turnover: Causes, consequences and control, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1982.
- C. Mottaz, "Work satisfaction among hospital nurses", Hospital and Health Services Administration, Vol.33, pp.57-74, 1988.
- W. D. Organ, Organizational citizenship behavior: The good soldier syndrome, Lexington, MA.: Lexington, 1988.
- C. P. Parker, R. L. Dipboye, and S. L. Jackson, "Perceptions of organizational politics: An investigation of antecedents and consequences," Journal of Management, Vol.21, No.5, pp.891-912, 1995.
- M. A. Pettigrew, The politics of organizational decision making, London: Tavistock, 1973.
- M. P. Podsakoff, M. Ahearne, and B. S. MacKenzie, "Organizational citizenship behavior and the quantity and quality of work group performance", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.82, pp.262-270, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.2.262
- M. P. Podsakoff, B. S. MacKenzie, Y. J. Lee, and P. N. Podsakoff, "Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.88, No.5, pp.879-903, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- W. L. Porter, W. R. Allen and L. H. Angel, The politics of upward influence in organizations. In B. M. Staw & L. L. Cummings (Eds.), Research in organizational behavior(Vol.3, pp.109-149), Greenwich, CT. JAI Press, 1981.
- W. L. Porter and M. R Steers, "Organizational, work, and personal factors in employee turnover and absenteeism, Psychological Bulletin," Vol.80, No.1, pp.151-176, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034829
- L. M Randall, R. Cropanzano, A. C. Bormann, and A. Birjulin, "Organizational politics and organizational support as predictors of work attitudes, job performance and organizational citizenship behavior", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.20, No.2, pp.159-174, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199903)20:2<159::AID-JOB881>3.0.CO;2-7
- S. P. Robinson, Organization behavior(11th Ed), Pearson Education: Prentice Hall, 2007.
- H. D. Silvera, M. Martinussen, and I. T. Dahl, "The Tromso social intelligence scale, A self-report measure of social intelligence," Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, Vol.42, No.4, pp.313-319, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9450.00242
- C. D. Treadway, A. W. Hochwarter, R. G. Ferris, J. C. Kacmar, C. Douglas, P. A. Ammeter, and R. Buckley, "Leader political skill and employee reactions", Leadership Quarterly, Vol.15, No.3, pp.493-513, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.05.004