- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Proactive Personality on the Upward Influence: Focusing on Mediating Effect of Political Skill
주도적 성격이 상향 영향력에 미치는 영향: 정치적 기술의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2015.04.21
- Accepted : 2015.06.25
- Published : 2015.09.28
The current study empirically tests the mediating effects of political skills on the relationship between proactive personality and upward influence. In this study, we attempted to mitigate common method bias by collecting data from two sources. 275 pairs of returned questionnaires were utilized to verify the hypotheses. According to the hierarchical regression, proactive personality and 4 political skills have impact on upward influence positively. proactive personality was positively related to political skills. In addition social astuteness, interpersonal influence and apparent sincerity mediate relationship between proactive personality and upward influence. but networking ability does not have mediating effect. Based on these results, implications and limitations of this study arediscussed and future research direction are suggested.
Proactive Personality;Upward Influence;Political Skill
- J. Liu, G. R. Ferrs, R. Zinko, P. L. Perrewe, B. Weitz, and J. Xu, "Dispositional antecedents and outcomes of political skill in organizations: a four-study investigation with convergence," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.71, pp.146-165, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2007.04.003
- H. Mintzberg, "The organization as political arena", Journal of Management Studies, Vol.22, pp.133-154, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1985.tb00069.x
- R. T. Mowday, "The exercise of upward influence in organizations", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.23, pp.137-159, 1978. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392437
- S. K. Parker, "Enhancing role breadth self-efficacy: the roles of job enrichment and other organizational interventions", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.83, No.6, pp.835-852, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.6.835
- S. K. Parker, H. M. Williams, and N. Turner, "Modeling the antecedents of proactive behavior at work", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.91, No.3, pp.636-652, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.636
- J. Pfeffer, Power play. Harvard Business Review, (July-August), pp.84-92, 2010.
- N. Phillips, "Bringing the organization back in: a comment on conceptualizations of power in upward influence research", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.18, pp.43-47, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199701)18:1<43::AID-JOB819>3.0.CO;2-A
- A. M. Saks, J. A. ruman, and H. Copper-Thomas, "The neglected role of proactive behavior and outcomes in newcomer socialization", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.79, pp.36-46, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.12.007
- W. K. Schilit, "An examination of individual differences as moderators of upward influence activity in strategic decisions", Human Relations, Vol.39, No.10, pp.933-953, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678603901004
- W. K. Schilit and E. Locke, "A study of upward influence in organizations", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.27, pp.304-316, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392305
- S. E. Seibert, M. L. Kraimer, and J. M. Crant, "What do proactive people do? a longitudinal model linking proactive personality and career success", Personnel Psychology, Vol.54, pp.845-874, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2001.tb00234.x
- M. H. Do and A. Minbashian, "A meta-analytic examination of the effects of the agentic and affiliative aspects of extraversion on leadership outcomes", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.25, pp.1040-1053, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2014.04.004
- G. R. Ferris, G. Blickle, P. B. Schneider, J. Kramer, I. Zettler, and J. Solga, "Political skill construct and criterion-related validation: a two-study investigation", Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol.23, pp.744-771, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940810896321
- G. R. Ferris and T. A. Judge, "Personnel/human resources management: a political influence perspective", Journal of Management, Vol.17, pp.447-488, 1991.
- G. R. Ferris and D. C. Treadway, R. W. Kolodinsky, W. A. Hochwarter, and C. J. Kacmar, and C. Douglas, "Development and validation of the political skill inventory", Journal of Management, Vol.31, pp.126-152, 2005.
- G. R. Ferris, D. C. Treadway, P. L. Perrewe, R. L. Brouer, C. Douglas, and S. Lux, "Political skill in organizations", Journal of Management, Vol.33, pp.290-320, 2007.
- S. W. Floyd and B. Wooldridge, "Middle management's strategic influence and organizational performance", Journal of Management Studies, Vol.34, No.3, pp.465-485, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6486.00059
- M. L. Forret and T. W. Dougherty, "Networking behaviors and career outcomes: differences for men and women?", Journal of Organizational Behaviors, Vol.25, pp.419-437, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.253
- S. A. Geertshuis, H. D. Cooper-Thomas, and M. Price, "Appraisals of self and situation as determinants of upward influencing tactics," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.43, No.8, pp.1563-1577, 2013.
- A. M. Grant and S. J. Ashford, "The dynamics of proactivity at work", Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol.28, pp.3-34, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riob.2008.04.002
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham, Mutivariate data analysis (6th ed.), Upper Saddler River, New Jersey: Pearson Education, 2006.
- P. Kanten and F. E. Ulker, "A relational approach among perceived organizational support, proactive personality and voice behavior", Procedia - Soical and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.62, pp.1016-1022, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.173
- J. W. Kassing, "Speaking up: identifying employees' upward dissent strategies," Management Communication Quarterly, Vol.16, pp.187-209, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/089331802237234
- J. W. Kassing and W. Kava, "Assessing disagreement expressed to management: development of the upward dissent scale," Communication Research Reports, Vol.30, pp.46-56, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824096.2012.746225
- B. L. Kirkman and B. Rosen, "Beyond self-management: Antecedents and consequences of team empowerment", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.42, pp.58-74, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/256874
- R. W. Kolodinsky, W. A. Hochwarter, and G. R. Ferris, "Nonlinearity in the relationship between political skill and work outcomes: convergent evidence from three studies", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.65, pp.294-308, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2003.08.002
- K. J. Krone, "Structuring constraints on perceptions of upward influence and supervisory relationships", The Southern Communication Journal, Vol.59, No.3, pp.215-225, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/10417949409372940
- 김경수, 노현재, 김인숙, 김광숙, 양동민, "조직에서의 위계적 리더십: Pelz 효과의 재검증", 조직과 인사관리연구, 제37권, 제1호, pp.171-204, 2013.
- 김정훈, 전략적 이슈셀링 의지와 선행요인 및 결과분석, 국민대학교, 박사학위논문, 2002.
- 박진용, "수요환경의 변화와 경로구성원의 상호 영향전략", 대한경영학회지, 제24권, 제2호, pp.1095-1113, 2011.
- 이용탁, 주규하, "윤리적 리더십이 조직구성원 주도성 및 조직 효과성과 이해관계자 만족도에 미치는 영향: 학교조직을 대상으로", 한국인적자원관리학회,
- L. R. Anderson, J. Tolson, M. W. Fields, and J. W. Thacker, "Extension of the Pelz Effect: The impact of leader's upward influence on group members' control within the organization", Basic and Applied Social Psychology, Vol.11, No.1, pp.19-32, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp1101_2
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical consideration", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, No.6, pp.1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- T. S. Bateman and J. M. Crant, "The proactive component of organizational behavior: a measure and correlates", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.14, pp.103-118, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030140202
- M. Bertolino, D. M. Truxillo, and F. Fraccaroli, "Age as moderator of the relationship of proactive personality with training motivation, perceived career development from training, and training behavioral intentions", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.32, pp.248-263, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.670
- G. Blickle, K. Oerder, and J. K. Summers, "The impact of political skill on career success of employees' representatives", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.77, pp.383-390, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.05.007
- D. Brown, R. Cober, K. Kane, P. Levy, and J. Shalhoop, "Proactive personality and the successful job search: a field investigation with college graduates", The Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.91, pp.717-726, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.717
- M. S. Connelly, J. A. Gilbert, S. J. Zaccaro, K. V. Hrefall, M. A. Marks, and M. D. Mumford, "Exploring the relationship of leadership skills and knowledge to leader perfomance," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.11, pp.65-86, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)00043-0
- J. M. Crant, "Proactive behavior in organizations", Journal of Management, Vol.26, No.3, pp.435-462, 2000.
- J. M. Crant and T. S. Bateman, "Charismatic leadership viewed from above: the impact of proactive personality", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.21, pp.63-75, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200002)21:1<63::AID-JOB8>3.0.CO;2-J
- D. S. DeRue, J. D. Nahrgang, N. Wellman, and S. E. Humphrey, "Trait and behavioral theories of leadership: an integration and meta-analytic test of their relative validity", Personnel Psychology, Vol.64, pp.7-52, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2010.01201.x
- A. D. Smith, D. A. Plowman, D. Duchon, and A. M. Quinn, "A qualitative study of high-reputation plant managers: political and successful outcomes", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.27, pp.428-443, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2009.01.003
- J. A. Thompson, "Proactive personality and job performance: A social capital perspective," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.90, pp.1011-1017, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.5.1011
- L. W. Wager, "Leadership style, influence, and supervisory role obligations", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.9, pp.391-420, 1965. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391033
- V. R. Waldron, "Communication practices of followers, members, and proteges: the case of upward influence tactics", Communication Yearbook 22, pp251-299, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1999.
- G. Yukl and J. W. Michel, "Proactive influence tactics and leader member exchange", In C. A. Schriesheim & L. L. Neider (Eds.), Power and influence in organizations: New empirical and theoretical perspectives (pp.87-103), Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing, 2006.