- Volume 39 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Stress Distributions at the Dissimilar Metal Weld of Safety Injection Nozzles According to Safe-end Length and SMW Thickness
안전단 길이 및 동종금속용접부 두께 변화에 따른 안전주입노즐 이종금속용접부의 응력분포
- Kim, Tae-Jin (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Jeong, Woo-Chul (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Huh, Nam-Su (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.04.08
- Accepted : 2015.04.28
- Published : 2015.10.01
In the present paper, we evaluate the effects of the safe-end length and thickness of the similar metal weld (SMW) of safety injection nozzles on stress distributions at the dissimilar metal weld (DMW). For this evaluation, we carry out detailed 2-D axisymmetric finite element analyses by considering four different values of the safe-end length and four different values of the thickness of SMW. Based on the results obtained, we found that the SMW thickness affects the axial stresses at the center of the DMW for the shorter safe-end length; on the other hand, it does not affect the hoop stresses. In terms of the safe-end length, the values of the axial and hoop stresses at the inner surface of the DMW center increase as the safe-end length increases. In particular, for the cases considered in the present study, the stress distributions at the DMW center can be categorized according to certain values of safe-end length.
Welding Residual Stress;Dissimilar Metal Weld;Similar Metal Weld;Primary Water Stress Corrosion Cracking;Nozzle;Finite Element Analysis
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- Kim, J.W, Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2010, "Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Alloy 82/182 Weld Joint Between SA508 Gr.3 Nozzle and F316L Safe-End," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, pp. 333-340.
- EPRI, Materials Reliability Program, 2004, "Welding Residual and Operating Stresses in PWR Alloy 182 Butt Welds (MRP-106)," EPRI report (This product is publicly available.).
- Rudland, D.L., Shim, D.J., Xu, H. and Wilkowski, G.W., 2007, "Evaluation of Circumferential Indications in Pressurizer Nozzle Dissimilar Metal Welds at the Wolf Creek Power Plant," NRC Summary Report No. ADAMS ML071560398.
- Zhang, J., Song, S. and Dong, P., 2011, "Important Residual Stress Features in Reactor Nozzle Dissimilar Metal Welds," ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, PVP2011-57824.
- Rudland, D.L., Csontos, A. and Shim, D.J., 2010, "Stress Corrosion Crack Shape Development Using AFEA," Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 132, pp. 011406-1-011406-7. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4000349
- Lee, H.S., Huh, N.S., Lee, S.G., Park, H.B. and Lee, S.H., 2013, "Crack Growth Analysis due to PWSCC in Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld for Reactor Piping Considering Hydrostatic and Normal Operating Conditions," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, pp. 47-54. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.1.047
- Lee, H.S., Huh, N.S., Kim, J.S. and Lee, J.H., 2013, "Stress Distribution in the Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld of Nuclear Reactor Piping due to the Simulation Technique for the Repair Welding," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, pp. 649-655. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.5.649
- Park, C.Y., Lee, H.S. and Huh, N.S., 2014, "Investigation into Variations of Welding Residual Stresses and Redistribution Behaviors for Different Repair Welding Widths," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, pp. 177-184. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.2.177
- Song, T.K., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Bae, H.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, S.H., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2009, "Effects of Similar Metal Weld on Residual Stress in Dissimilar Metal Weld According to Safe End Length," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, pp. 664-672. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.7.664
- R6, "Assessment of the Integrity of Structures Containing Defects," Rev. 4, British Energy, 2000.
- Broussard, J., Private Communication, 2014-2015.
- "ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual," Version 6.11-1, Dassault Systemes Corp., 2011.
- Kim, J.S., Kim, J.H., Bae, H.Y., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Song, T.K., 2012, "Welding Residual Stress Distributions for Dissimilar Metal Nozzle Butt Welds in Pressurized Water Reactors," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, pp. 137-148.
- Brickstad, B. and Josefson, B.L., 1998, "A Parametric Study of Residual Stresses in Multi-Pass Butt-Welded Stainless Steel Pipes," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 75, pp. 11-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(97)00117-8
- Elcoate, C.D., Dennis, R.J., Bouchard, P.J. and Smith, M.C., 2005, "Three Dimensional Multi-Pass Repair Weld Simulations," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 82, pp. 244-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2004.08.003