- Volume 39 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Model Prediction and Validation for Free-Piston Stirling Engines Considering Nonlinear Load Damping
자유피스톤 스털링 엔진의 비선형 부하 감쇠를 고려한 동역학 모델 예측 및 검증
- Sim, Kyuho (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Sci. and Tech.) ;
- Kim, Dong-Jun (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Sci. and Tech.)
- Received : 2015.04.29
- Accepted : 2015.07.16
- Published : 2015.10.01
Free-piston Stirling engines (FPSEs) have attracted much attention in the renewable energy field as a key device in the conversion from thermal to mechanical energy, and in the recycling of waste energy. Traditional Stirling engines consist of two pistons that are connected by a mechanical link, while FPSEs are formed as a vibration system by connecting each piston to a spring without a physical link. To ensure the correct design and control of operations, this requires elaborate dynamic-performance predictions. In this paper, we present the performance-prediction methodology using a linear and nonlinear dynamic analytical model considering the external load of FPSEs. We perform linear analyses to predict the operating point of the engine using the root locus technique. Using nonlinear analysis, we also predict the amplitude of pistons by performing numerical integration considering both the linear and nonlinear damping terms of the external load. We utilize the predicted dynamic behavior to predict the engine performance. In addition, we compare the experiment results and existing model predictions for RE-1000 to verify the reliability of the analytical model.
Free-Piston Stirling Engine;Dynamics;Nonlinearity
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- Kang, B. H., Yun, C. H. and Ahn, J., 2013, "Impact of Residential CHP Systems on Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Korea," Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 10, pp. 555-561. https://doi.org/10.6110/KJACR.2013.25.10.555
- Korea Energy Management Corporation, "Gas Co-Generation System," Technical Report.
- Hong, Y. J., Ko, J. S., Kim, H. B. and Park, S. J., 2011, "Design and Fabrication of 1kW Class Stirling Engine," Proceedings of 2011 Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. Conf., No. 7019, pp. 334-346.
- Urieli, I. and Berchowitz, D. M, 1984, Stirling Cycle Engine Analysis, Adam Hilger Ltd.
- Beale, W. T., 1969, "Free-piston Stirling Engines -Some Model Tests and Simulations," SAE Paper No 690230.
- Schreiber, J. G., Geng, S. M. and Lorenz, G. V., 1986, "RE-1000 Free-Piston Stirling Engine Sensitivity Test Results," NASA TM-88846.
- Choi, J. J., Park, B. S., Kim, H. J. and Song, D. S., 2011, "The Operation Characteristic of Two Domestic Stirling Engine Cogeneration Systems," Proceeding of 2011 Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering Summer Conference, pp. 1262-1265
- Redlich, R.W. and Berchowitz, D. M., 1984, "Linear Dynamics of Free-Piston Stirling Engines," Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, Sunpower Incorporated, Athens, Ohio.
- Riofrio, J. A., Al-Dakkan, K., Hofacker, M. K. and Barth, E. J., 2008, "Control-Based Design of Free-Piston Stirling Engine," Proceedings of 2008 American Control Conference, WeC09.4, pp. 1533-1538.
- Byun, H. H., Choi, H. O. and Shin, J. K., 1994, "Dynamic Analysis of Free-Piston Stirling Engine Using Ideal Adiabatic Model," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol. 18, No. 7, pp.1751-1758.
- Choudhary, F., 2014, "Hopf Instabilities in Free Piston Stirling Engines," Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 021003-1-021003-11.
- Formosa, 2011, "Coupled Thermodynamic-Dynamic Semi-Analytical Model of Free Piston Stirling Engines," Energy Conversion and Management 52 2098-2109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.12.014
- Walker, G. and Senft, J., 1985, Free Piston Stirling Engines, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Rogdakis, E. D., Bormpilas, N. A. and Koniakos, I. K., 2004, "A Thermodynamics Study for The Optimization of Stable Operation of Free Piston Stirling Engines," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 575-593. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(03)00175-4
- Karabulut, H., 2011, "Dynamic Analysis of A Free Piston Stirling Engine Working with Closed and Open Thermodynamic Cycles," Renewable Energy, Vol. 36, pp. 1704-1709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2010.12.006
- Identification of Damping Characteristics of Free-piston Stirling Engines via Nonlinear Dynamic Model Predictions vol.26, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2016.26.3.248