- Volume 39 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Ring-Shaped Inductive Sensor Design and Application to Pressure Sensing
환형 인덕티브 센서의 설계 및 압력센서로의 적용
- Noh, Myounggyu (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Sunyoung (Samsung Electro-Mechanics) ;
- Baek, Seongki (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Park, Young-Woo (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2015.05.02
- Accepted : 2015.08.10
- Published : 2015.10.01
Inductive sensors are versatile and economical devices that are widely used to measure a wide variety of physical variables, such as displacement, force, and pressure. In this paper, we propose a simple inductive sensor consisting of a thin partial ring and a coil set. The self-inductance of the sensor was estimated using magnetic circuit analysis and validated through finite element analysis (FEA). The natural frequency of the ring was estimated using Castigliano's theorem and the method of equivalent mass. The estimation was validated through experiments and FEA. A prototype sensor with a signal processing circuit is built and applied to noninvasively sense the pressure inside a flexible tube. The obtained sensor outputs show quadratic behavior with respect to the pressure. When fitted to a quadratic equation, the least-square measurement error was less than 2%. The results confirm the feasibility of pressure sensing using the proposed inductive sensor.
Inductive Sensing;Non-Invasive Sensing;Pressure Sensing
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Fericean, S. and Droxler, R., 2007, "New Noncontacting Inductive Analog Proximity and Inductive Linear Displacement Sensors for Industrial Automation," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, No. 11, pp. 1538-1545. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2007.908232
- Webster, J. G., ed., 1999, The Measurement, Instrumentation, and Sensors Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Park, C., Kang, B. and Lee, D., 2007, "Fabrication and Characterization of a Pressure Sensor Using a Pitch-based Carbon Fiber," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 417-424. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.4.417
- Hanselman, D., 1994, Brushless Permanent-Magnet Motor Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 20-22.
- Crandall, S. H., Dahl, N. C., and Lardner, T. J., 1978, An Introduction to the Mechanics of Solids, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 545-547.
- Palm, W. J., 2007, Mechanical Vibration, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, p. 87.