- Volume 39 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Deformation Behavior of Curling Strips on Tearing Tubes
테어링 튜브 컬의 변형 거동 예측 기법 연구
- Choi, Ji Won (Dept. of Robotics and Virtual Engineering, Korea Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kwon, Tae Soo (Dept. of Robotics and Virtual Engineering, Korea Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Jung, Hyun Seung (Dept. of Robotics and Virtual Engineering, Korea Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jin Sung (Dept. of Robotics and Virtual Engineering, Korea Univ. of Science and Technology)
- 최지원 (과학기술연합대학원대학교 로보틱스 및 가상공학) ;
- 권태수 (과학기술연합대학원대학교 로보틱스 및 가상공학) ;
- 정현승 (과학기술연합대학원대학교 로보틱스 및 가상공학) ;
- 김진성 (과학기술연합대학원대학교 로보틱스 및 가상공학)
- Received : 2015.04.15
- Accepted : 2015.08.06
- Published : 2015.10.01
This paper discusses the analysis of the curl deformation behavior when a dynamic force is applied to a tearing tube installed on a flat die to predict the energy absorption capacity and deformation behavior. The deformation of the tips of the curling strips was obtained when the curl tips and tube body are in contact with each other, and a formula describing the energy dissipation rate caused by the deformation of the curl tips is proposed. To improve this formula, we focused on the variation of the curl radius and the reduced thickness of the tube. A formula describing the mean curl radius is proposed and verified using the curl radius measurement data of collision test specimens. These improved formulas are added to the theoretical model previously proposed by Huang et al. and verified from the collision test results of a tearing tube.
Tearing Tube;Energy Absorption Device;Mean Curl Radius;Curl Tip;Collision Test
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- Moreno, C., Beaumont, R., Hughes, D. J., Williams, T. and Dashwood, R., 2015, "Determination of the Fracture Behavior of Axial Splitting Tubes and the Numerical Prediction of Their Energy Absorption Capabilities," International Journal of Crashworthiness, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 191-199. https://doi.org/10.1080/13588265.2014.997000
- Huh, H., Lim, J. H. and Park, S. H., 2009, "High Speed Tensile Test of Steel Sheets for the Stress-Strain Curve at the Intermediate Strain Rate," International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 195-204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-009-0023-3
- Choi, J. W., Kwon, T. S., Jung, H. S., Kim, J. S. and Kwak, J. H., 2015, "A Study on Design and Dynamic Characteristics of Tearing Tubes Applied in Tram," Trans. Korean Soc. Auto. Eng.(KSAE), Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 524-536. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2015.23.5.524
- Lee, S. H. and Kim, H. G., 2008, "Analysis of Axial Splitting of Circular Metal Tubes by Using Element Deletion Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 496-503. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.6.496
- Reddy, T. Y. and Reid, S. R., 1986, "Axial Splitting of Circular Metal Tubes," International Journal of Mechanical Science, 28, No. 2, pp. 111-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(86)90018-4
- Huang, X., Lu, G. and Yu, T. X., 2002, "On the Axial Splitting and Curling of Circular Metal Tubes," International Journal of Mechanical Science, 44, pp. 2369-2391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(02)00191-1
- Huang, X., Lu, G. and Yu, T. X., 2002, "Energy Absorption in Splitting Square Metal Tubes," Thin-Walled Structures, 40, pp. 153-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(01)00058-1
- Ko, Y. K., Ahn, K. H., Huh, H., Choi, W. M., Jung, H. S. and Kwon, T. S., 2009, "Prediction of Crash Energy Absorption Capacity of A Tearing Tube," KSAE Annual Conference Proceedings, pp. 3134-3140.
- Lu, G. and Yu, T. X., 2003, Energy Absorption of Structures and Materials, Woodhead publishing limited, Cambridge, England, pp. 223-236.
- Gere, J. M. and Timoshenko, S. P., 2009, Mechanics of Materials, 6th Edition, Cengage Learning Korea Limited and Kyobo book Centre Co. Ltd.., South Korea, pp. 22-24, 828-842.
- Chakrabarty, J., 1987, Theory of Plasticity, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 148-160.
- Hallquist, J. O., 2007, LS-DYNA(R) Keyword User's Manual Version 971, Livermore Software Technology Corporation, Livermore, California.
- KS D 3566:2012, Carbon Steel Tubes for General Structural Purposes, Korea Agency for Technology and Standards, pp. 1-15.