- Volume 20 Issue 9
In order to prevent the elderly people from committing suicide attempts, it is necessary to verify attributes that affect the suicide attempts. It is noted that previous studies have focused on qualitative approaches, and simple correlation analyses to determine the attributes related to the suicide attempts in the elderly people. However, such previous approaches had led to insufficient performance when facing with complicated data sets. In this sense, this study suggests an alternative method in which attribute selection techniques are adopted to determine more relevant attributes of the suicide attempts occurring in Korean elderly people. To verify empirical validity of our proposed method, we used Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) from January 2007 to December 2012. Empirical results proved that the proposed attribute selection techniques showed better predictive effectiveness; 94.4% compared to the simple statistical methods. This study proposes a way to determining the elderly suicide and preventing it to happen.
Suicide Attempts in Elderly People;Attribute Selection;Attribute Subset Evaluation;Single-Attribute Evaluation;Predictive Efficiency
- Statistics Korea, "Elderly Statistics," Daejeon, Statistics Korea, 2014.
- Statistics Korea, "Population & Death Cause of Death Statistics," Daejeon, Statistics Korea, 2013.
- J. S. Kim and S. J. Lee "Factors Affecting Suicide Attempts of the Elderly with Suicide Ideation: Secondary Data Analysis of KNHANES," Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 73-85. March, 2014.
- D. K. Moon, "A Meta-Regression Analysis on Related triggering Variables on the Suicidal Ideation of Older Adults," Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 55, pp. 133-158. March, 2012.
- K. W. Kim and H. G. Kim, "Macro Analysis of Factors Impacting on the Eldery's Suicide Rates in the Republic of Korea," Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 31-54. December, 2011.
- C. Park, H. J. Kang, J. Y. Lee, S. Y. Kim, K. Y. Bae and S. W. Kim, "Associations between Physical Disorders and Suicidal Ideation in Elders," Anxiety and Mood, Vol. 10, No, 1, pp. 24-29. April, 2014
- P. A. Devijver and J. Kittler, "Pattern Recognition: A Statistical Approach," New Jersey, Prentice/Hall International, 1982.
- T. Rivas, M. Paz, J. E. Martin, J. M. Matias, J. F. Garcia, and J. Taboada, "Explaining and predicting workplace accidents using data-mining techniques," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Vol. 96, pp. 739-747, July, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2011.03.006
- H. S. Kim, K. J. June and Y. M. Kim, "Gender Differences in Factors Affecting Suicidal Ideation among the Korean Elderly," Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 33 No. 2, pp. 349-363. June, 2013.
- S. H. Kim and Y. H. Choi, "The Influence of Physical Health on Suicidal Ideation in Older Adults," Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 775-788. December, 2007.
- G. Y. Lee and E. H. Cho, "A Study on the Effect of Main Variables to the Suicidal Ideation among the Elderly Living Alone: Focused on the Direct and Indirect Effects of Social Suuprt," Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 162-189. March, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.1.162
- H. K. Kim, S. H. Ko and S. H. Chung, "Suicidal Ideation and Risk Factors among the Elderly in Korea," Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, Vol. 24. No. 1, pp. 82-92. March, 2010.
- G. C. Hung, L. K. Chi, S. Y. Paul, G. David, and Y. C. Ying, "Predicting suicide in older adults - a community-based cohort study in Taipei City, Taiwan," Journal of Affective Disorders, Vol. 172, pp. 165-170, February, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.09.037
- R. D. Goodwin and A. Marusic, "Association between short sleep and suicidal ideation and suicide attempt among adults in the general population," Sleep, Vol. 31, No. 8, pp. 1097-1101, August, 2008.
- A. P. Chioqueta, T. C. Stiles, "Cognitive factors, engagement in sport, and suicide risk," Archives of suicide research, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 375-390, September, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811110600897143
- J. J. Pfaff, O. P. Almeida, T. K. Witte, M. C. Waesche and T. E. Joiner, "Relationship between quantity and frequency of alcohol use and indices of suicidal behavior in an elderly Australian sample," Suicide and life-threatening behavior, Vol. 37, No.6, pp. 616-626, December, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1521/suli.2007.37.6.616
- J. M. Boden, D. M. Fergusson, and L. J. Horwood, "Cigarette smoking and suicidal behaviour: Results from a 25-year longitudinal study," Psychological Medicine, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 433-439, March, 2008.
- C. Choo and D. Joachim, S. Ins, and H. Roger, "Cluster analysis reveals risk factors for repeated suicide attempts in a multi-ethnic Asian population," Asian Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 8, pp. 38-42. November, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2013.10.001
- I. J. Lee, "The Effects of Stressors and Coping on Depression of the Oldest Old," Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 264-294. December, 2014 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2014.34.4.264
- J. Dai and X. Qing, "Attribute selection based on information gain ratio in fuzzy rough set theory with application to tumor classification," Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 13, pp. 211-221. January, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2012.07.029
- E. M. El-Alfy and N. A. Feras, "A multicriterion fuzzy classification method with greedy attribute selection for anomaly-based intrusion detection," Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 34, pp. 55-62. August, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2014.07.037
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, "Guidebook for KNHANES data users(SPSS)," Sejong, Ministry of Health & Welfare, 2013.
- M. A. Hall, "Correlation-based Feature Selection for Machine Learning," Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Computer Science, The University of Waikato, Hamilton, 1999.
- H. Liu and R. Setiono, "A probabilistic approach to feature selection: A filter solution," Machine Learning, Vol. 96, pp. 319-327, April, 1996.
- R. Kohavi and G. John, "Wrappers for feature subset selection," Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 97, pp. 273-324, December, 1996.
- G. Holmes and C. G. Nevill-Manning, "Feature selection via the discovery of simple classification rules," In Proceedings of the Symposium on Intelligent Data Analysis, Baden-Baden, Germany, 1995.
- E. Rich and K. Knight, "Artificial Intelligence," New York, McGraw-Hill, 1991.
- I. H. Witten, F. Eibe and A. H. Mark, "Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques," Massachusetts, Morgan Kaufmann, 2011.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea