- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of energy-saving devices for a full slow-speed ship through improving propulsion performance
- Kim, Jung-Hun (Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., LTD.) ;
- Choi, Jung-Eun (Global Core Research Center for Ships and Offshore Plants, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Bong-Jun (Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., LTD.) ;
- Chung, Seok-Ho (Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., LTD.) ;
- Seo, Heung-Won (Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., LTD.)
- Published : 2015.03.31
Energy-saving devices for 317K VLCC have been developed from a propulsion standpoint. Two ESD candidates were designed via computational tools. The first device WAFon composes of flow-control fins adapted for the ship wake to reduce the loss of rotational energy. The other is WAFon-D, which is a WAFon with a duct to obtain additional thrust and to distribute the inflow velocity on the propeller plane uniform. After selecting the candidates from the computed results, the speed performances were validated with model-tests. The hydrodynamic characteristics of the ESDs may be found in improved hull and propulsive efficiencies through increased wake fraction.
Supported by : Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE)
- Choi, J.E., Kim, J.H., Choi, B.J. and Lee, S.B., 2009. Computational prediction of speed performance for a ship with vortex generators. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 46(2), pp.136-147. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2009.46.2.136
- Choi, J.E., Min, K.S., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.B. and Seo, H.W., 2010. Resistance and propulsion characteristics of various commercial ships based on CFD results. Ocean Engineering, 37(7), pp.549-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.02.007
- Dang, J., 2012. An exploratory study on the working principles of energy saving devices (ESDs) - PIV, CFD investigations and ESD design guidelines. Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, OMAE2012-83053, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1-6 July 2012.
- Hino, T. (Ed.), 2005. Proceedings of CFD Workshop 2005, Tokyo, Japan, 9-11 March 2005.
- Ji, B., Luo, X., Peng, X., Wu, Y. and Xu, H., 2012. Numerical analysis of cavitation evolution and excited pressure fluctuation around a propeller in non-uniform wake. International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 43, pp.13-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2012.02.006
- Ji, B., Luo, X., Wang, X., Peng, X., Wu, Y. and Xu, H., 2011. Unsteady numerical simulation of cavitating turbulent flow around a fighly skewed model marine propeller. Journal of Fluids Engineering-Transactions of the ASME, 133(1), pp. 011102. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4003355
- Masuko, A., Koshiba, Y. and Ishiguro, T., 1998. Energy Saving Device for Ships IHI - L.V. Fin. Ishikawajima-Harima Engineering Review, 38(6), pp.392-397.
- Kang, Y.D., Kim, M.C. and Chun, H.H., 2004. A study on the design of a biased asymmetric pre-swirl stator propulsion system. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 41(3), pp.13-21. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2004.41.3.013
- Kawakita, C., Takashima, R. and Sato, K., 2012. CFD on cavitation around marine propellers with energy-saving devices. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Technical Review, 49(1), pp.63-67.
- Kim, M.C., Lee, J.T., Suh, J.C. and Kim, H.C., 1993. A study on the asymmetric preswirl stator system. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 30(1), pp.30-44.
- Lee, C.J., Park, I.R., Lee, Y.H. and Byeon, S.H., 2004. A study on the performances affected by vortex generator for DWT 40,000 ton product carrier. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting, SNAK, Sanchung, 20-22 October 2004, pp.257-263.
- Lee, J.T., Kim, M.C., Suh, J.C., Kim, S.H. and Choi, J.G., 1992. Development of a preswirl stator-propeller system for improvement propulsion efficiency : a symmetric stator propulsion system. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 29(4), pp.132-145.
- Lee, J.T., Kim, M.C., Van, S.H., Kim, K.S. and Kim, H.C., 1994. Development of a preswirl stator propulsion system for a 300K VLCC. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 31(1), pp.1-13.
- Mewis, F., and Guiard, T., 2011. Mewis duct - new developments, solutions and conclusions. Second International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, Hamburg, Germany, June 2011.
- Morgut, M. and Nobile, E., 2012. Influence of grid type and turbulence model on the numerical prediction of the flow around marine propellers working in uniform inflow. Ocean Engineering, 42, pp.26-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2012.01.012
- Paik, K.J., Park, H.G. and Seo, J.S., 2014. RANS simulation of cavitation and hull pressure fluctuation for marine propeller operating behind-hull condition. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 5(4), pp.502-512. https://doi.org/10.2478/IJNAOE-2013-0149
- Park, S.H., Park, S.W., Rhee, S.H., Lee, S.B., Choi, J.E. and Kang, S.H., 2013. Investigation on the wall function implementation for the prediction of ship resistance. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 5(1), pp.33-46. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2013.5.1.033
- Schneekluth, H., 1986. Wake equalizing duct. The Naval Architect, 103, pp.147-150.
- Seo, J.H., Seol, D.M., Lee, J.H. and Rhee, S.H., 2010. Flexible CFD meshing strategy for prediction of ship resistance and propulsion performance. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 2(3), pp.139-145. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2010.2.3.139
- Shin, H.J., Lee, J.S., Lee, K.H., Han, M.R., Hur, E.B. and Shin, S.C., 2013. Numerical and experimental investigation of conventional and un-conventional preswirl duct for VLCC. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 5(3), pp.414-430. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2013.5.3.414
- Yang, J.M., Lee, S.J., Kim, H.C., Suh, J.C. and Park, Y.M., 2000. Effect of pre-swirl stator vane on the pro-peller hull interaction of a full ship. Proc. of the Annual Autumn Meeting, SNAK, Ulsan, 9-10 November 2000, pp.188-191.
- Yang, J.M., Kim, K., Park, K.H., Kim, H.C., Suh, J.C. and Park, Y.M., 2001. Effect of Pre-Swirl Stator Vane on the Propeller Hull Interaction (2). Proceedings of the Annual Autumn Meeting, SNAK, Seoul, 8-9 November 2001, pp.216-219.