- Volume 13 Issue 3
We consider the problem of designing independently operating local quantizers at nodes in distributed estimation systems, where many spatially distributed sensor nodes measure a parameter of interest, quantize these measurements, and send the quantized data to a fusion node, which conducts the parameter estimation. Motivated by the discussion that the estimation accuracy can be improved by using the quantized data with a high probability of occurrence, we propose an iterative algorithm with a simple design rule that produces quantizers by searching boundary values with an increased likelihood. We prove that this design rule generates a considerably reduced interval for finding the next boundary values, yielding a low design complexity. We demonstrate through extensive simulations that the proposed algorithm achieves a significant performance gain with respect to traditional quantizer designs. A comparison with the recently published novel algorithms further illustrates the benefit of the proposed technique in terms of performance and design complexity.
Distributed compression;Generalized Lloyd algorithm;Maximum likelihood;Quantizer design;Sensor networks;Source localization
- W. Lam and A. Reibman, “Design of quantizers for decentralized estimation systems,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1602-1605, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.241739
- N. Wernersson, J. Karlsson, and M. Skoglund, “Distributed quantization over noisy channels,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1693-1700, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2009.06.070482
- Y. H. Kim and A. Ortega, “Distributed encoding algorithms for source localization in sensor networks,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2010, article ID. 781720, pp. 1-13, 2010.
- D. Li and Y. H. Hu, “Energy-based collaborative source localization using acoustic microsensor array,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2003, no. 4, pp. 321-337, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1155/S1110865703212075
- J. Liu, J. Reich, and F. Zhao, “Collaborative in-network processing for target tracking,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2003, no. 4, pp. 378-391, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1155/S111086570321204X
- A. O. Hero and D. Blatt, "Sensor network source localization via projection onto convex sets (POCS)," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustic, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP2005), , pp. 689-692, 2005.
- Y. H. Kim and A. Ortega, "Maximum a posteriori (MAP)-based algorithm for distributed source localization using quantized acoustic sensor readings," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustic, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2006), Toulouse, France, 2006.
- W. A. Hashlamoun and P. K. Varshney, “Near-optimum quantization for signal detection,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 294-297, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.486322
- M. Longo, T. D. Lookabaugh, and R. M. Gray, “Quantization for decentralized hypothesis testing under communication constraints,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 241-255, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.52470
- Y. H. Kim, “Functional quantizer design for source localization in sensor networks,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2013, pp. 1-10, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-6180-2013-1
- Y. H. Kim, “Quantizer design optimized for distributed estimation,” IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1639-1643, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1587/transinf.E97.D.1639
- Y. H. Kim, “Weighted distance-based quantization for distributed estimation,” Journal of Information and Communication Convergence Engineering, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 215-220, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6109/jicce.2014.12.4.215
- Y. H. Kim and A. Ortega, "Quantizer design for source localization in sensor networks," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustic, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP2005), Philadelphia, PA, pp. 857-860, 2005.
- Y. H. Kim and A. Ortega, “Quantizer design for energy-based source localization in sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 5577-5588, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2011.2163401
- 1. Probabilistic distance-based quantizer design for distributed estimation vol.2016, pp.1, 2016, doi:10.6109/jicce.2015.13.3.152