- Volume 13 Issue 3
As a potential alternative to the complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) technology, many researchers are focusing on carbon-nanotube field-effect transistors (CNFETs) for future electronics. However, existing studies report the advantages of CNFETs over CMOS at the device level by using small-scale circuits, or over outdated CMOS technology. In this paper, we propose a methodology of analyzing CNFET-based circuits and study its impact at the full-chip scale. First, we design CNFET standard cells and use them to construct large-scale designs. Second, we perform parasitic extraction of CNFET devices and characterize their timing and power behaviors. Then, we perform a full-chip analysis and show the benefits of CNFET over CMOS in 45-nm and 20-nm designs. Our full-chip study shows that in the 45-nm design, CNFET circuits achieve a 5.91×/3.87× (delay/power) benefit over CMOS circuits at a density of 200 CNTs/µm. In the 20-nm design, CNFET achieves a 6.44×/3.01× (delay/power) benefit over CMOS at a density of 200 CNTs/µm.
Carbon nanotube FET;Circuits;Full-chip;VLSI
- J. Deng and H. S. P. Wong, “A compact SPICE model for carbon-nanotube field-effect transistors including nonidealities and its application. Part I: Model of the intrinsic channel region,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 3186-3194, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2007.909030
- G. Lopez, J. Davis, and J. Meindl, "A new physical model and experimental measurements of copper interconnect resistivity considering size effects and line-edge roughness (LER)," in Proceedings of IEEE International Interconnect Technology Conference (IITC2009), Sapporo, Japan, pp. 231-234, 2009.
- M. Shulaker, J. Van Rethy, G. Hills, H. Chen, G. Gielen, H. S. P. Wong, and S. Mitra, "Experimental demonstration of a fully digital capacitive sensor interface built entirely using carbon-nanotube FETs," in Proceedings of 2013 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers (ISSCC), San Francisco, CA, pp. 112-113, 2013.
- N. Patil, J. Deng, S. Mitra, and H. S. P. Wong, “Circuit-level performance benchmarking and scalability analysis of carbon nanotube transistor circuits,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37-45, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNANO.2008.2006903
- S. Paulson, A. Helser, M. B. Nardelli, R. M. Taylor, M. Falvo, R. Superfine, and S. Washburn, “Tunable resistance of a carbon nanotube-graphite interface,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1742-1744, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.290.5497.1742
- Y. Chai, A. Hazeghi, K. Takei, H. Y. Chen, P. C. Chan, A. Javey, and H. S. P. Wong, “Low-resistance electrical contact to carbon nanotubes with graphitic interfacial layer,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 12-19, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2011.2170216
- N. Patil, A. Lin, J. Zhang, H. Wei, K. Anderson, H. S. P. Wong, and S. Mitra, "VMR: VLSI-compatible metallic carbon nanotube removal for imperfection-immune cascaded multi-stage digital logic circuits using Carbon Nanotube FETs," in Proceedings of IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), Baltimore, MD, pp. 1-4, 2009.
- H. Wei, N. Patil, J. Zhang, A. Lin, H. Y. Chen, H. S. P. Wong, and S. Mitra, "Efficient metallic carbon nanotube removal readily scalable to wafer-level VLSI CNFET circuits," in Proceedings of 2010 Symposium on VLSI Technology (VLSIT), Honolulu, HI, pp. 237-238, 2010.
- J. Deng and H. S. P. Wong, “A compact SPICE model for carbonnanotube field-effect transistors including nonidealities and its application. Part II: Full device model and circuit performance benchmarking,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 3195-3205, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2007.909043
- A. D. Franklin, M. Luisier, S. J. Han, G. Tulevski, C. M. Breslin, L. Gignac, M. S. Lundstrom, and W. Haensch, “Sub-10 nm carbon nanotube transistor,” Nano Letters, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 758-762, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl203701g
- N. Patil, A. Lin, J. Zhang, H. Wei, K. Anderson, H. S. P. Wong, and S. Mitra, “Scalable carbon nanotube computational and storage circuits immune to metallic and mispositioned carbon nanotubes,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 744-750, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNANO.2010.2076323
- J. Zhang, S. Bobba, N. Patil, A. Lin, H. S. P. Wong, G. De Micheli, and S. Mitra, "Carbon nanotube correlation: promising opportunity for CNFET circuit yield enhancement," in Proceedings of the 47th Design Automation Conference (DAC2010), Anaheim, CA, pp. 889-892, 2010.
- M. M. Shulaker, G. Hills, N. Patil, H. Wei, H. Y. Chen, H. S. P. Wong, and S. Mitra, “Carbon nanotube computer,” Nature, vol. 501, no. 7468, pp. 526-530, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature12502
- PTM LP 45 nm [Internet], Available: http://ptm.asu.edu/.
- FinFET 20 nm [Internet], Available: http://ptm.asu.edu/.
- CNFET model [Internet], Available: https://nano.stanford.edu/stanford-cnfet-model.
- N. Patil, A. Lin, J. Zhang, H. S. P. Wong, and S. Mitra, "Digital VLSI logic technology using Carbon Nanotube FETs: frequently asked questions," in Proceedings of the 46th Annual Design Automation Conference (DAC2009), San Francisco, CA, pp. 304-309, 2009.
- S. I. Sayed, M. M. Abutaleb, and Z. B. Nossair, “Performance optimization of logic circuits based on hybrid CMOS and CNFET design,” International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 1-4, 2013.