- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Towing Characteristics of Barge Considering Wind Force
풍하중에 의한 바지선의 예인 시 거동특성 변화에 관한 연구
Nam, Bo Woo;Choi, Young-Myoung;Hong, Sa Young
- Received : 2015.03.31
- Accepted : 2015.08.19
- Published : 2015.08.31
This paper presents the results of a numerical study on the towing characteristics of a barge under various wind conditions. First, stability criteria, including the wind force, were derived based on the linear motion equations of a towed vessel. The effect of the wind force on the towing stability was investigated using stability criteria. Next, towing simulations were carried out using a nonlinear time-domain simulation method. In this case, the towline was modeled as a simple spring-damper, and the wind force was computed using the wind coefficient from CFD calculations. Simulations were conducted for a barge under a constant towing speed and constant wind speed conditions. The effect of the wind direction on the slewing motion was also observed. In addition, a series of numerical simulations using variable wind speeds were performed for the present barge with and without a skeg.
Towing characteristics;Towing stability;Barge;Wind Force;Towline
- Hong, S.Y., Nam, B.W., Kim, J.H., Park, J.Y., 2013. A Study on Towing Characteristics of a Transportation Barge in Waves. Proceedings of the 23rd International Offshore and Polar Engineering (ISOPE-2003), Anchorage, USA, 777-783.
- Latorre, R., 1988. Scale Effect in Towed Barge Course Stability Tests. Ocean Engineering, 15(4), 305-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(88)90048-0
- Nam, B.W., Hong, S.Y., Kim, J.H., Choi, S.K., Kim, J.W., 2014. An Experimental and Numerical Study on Towing Stability of a Transportation Barge, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 28(2), 102-110. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2014.28.2.102
- Park, Y.S., Kim, W.J., Nam, B.W., Hong, S.Y., 2012. Viscous Flow Analysis around Semi-Crane and Transport Barge to Evaluate Wind and Current Loads, Proceedings of 2012 Annual Conference of KAOST, Daegu, 1434-1441.
- Yasukawa, H., Hiritaka, H., Nakamura, N., Matsumoto, Y., 2006. Simulation of Slewing Motion of a Towed Ship, Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architecs and Ocean Engineers, 4, 137-146. https://doi.org/10.2534/jjasnaoe.4.137
- Abkowitz, M.A., 1972. Stability and Motion Control of Ocean Vehicles. The M.I.T. Press, Cambridge.
- Bernitsas, M.M., Kekerdis, N.S., 1985. Simulation and Stability of Ship Towing. International Shipbuilding Progress, 32(369), 112-123.
- Fitriadhy, A., Yasukawa, H., 2010. Slewing Motion Characteristics of a Towed Ship in Steady Wind. Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2010-20673).