- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Hydrodynamic Characteristics of Deepwater Drillship for North Sea
북해용 심해 시추 선박의 유체성능 특성 평가
Kim, Mun Sung;Park, Jong Jin;Ahn, Young Kyu;Kim, Hong Su;Chun, Ho Hwan
- Received : 2014.11.29
- Accepted : 2015.08.26
- Published : 2015.08.31
With the increases in oil and gas prices, and energy consumption, drillship construction has increased during the last decade. A drillship using a dynamic positioning (DP) system to maintain its position and heading angle during drilling operations. In addition, a drillship is equipped with a moonpool structure to allow its drilling systems to be operated in the midship section. A drillship for the North Sea is specially designed to endure harsh environmental loads. For safe operation in the North Sea, the drillship should have good motion response and robust hull strength. A break water should be considered on the bow and side deck to prevent the green water on deck phenomenon from incoming waves. In addition, the moonpool should be designed to reduce the speed loss and resonance motion. In this study, the hydrodynamic characteristics of a drillship for the North Sea were examined in relation to the motion, wave loads, green water, and moonpool resonance in the initial design stage.
Drillship;North sea;Motion;Wave loads;Green water;Break water;Moonpool;Resonance
- Faltinsen, O.M., 1990. Sea Loads on Ships and Offshore Structures. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Fonseca, N., Guedes Soares, C., 1998. Time-Domain Analysis of Large-Amplitude Vertical Ship Motions and Wave Loads. Journal of Ship Research, 42(2), 139-153.
- Fukuda, K., 1977. Behavior of Water in Vertical Well with Bottom Opening of Ship, and Its Effect on Ship Motions, Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, 141, 107-122.
- Gaillarde, G., Cotteleer, A., 2004. Water Motion in Moonpools Empirical and Theoretical Approach, Association Technique Maritime et Aeronautique, Paris.
- Kim, M., Ha, M., Chun, H., 1998. Prediction of Motions and Wave Loads of a Drillship. Proceeding of KTTC seakeeping workshop, Mokpo
- Kim, M., Ha, M., Lee, D., Kwon, S., 1999. Motion Charateristics of the Special Ship with Moonpool. Proceeding of the Annual Autumn Meeting, SNAK, Teajon, 428-431.
- Kim, M., Park, J., Ahn, Y., Kim, B., Eom, J. 2011. Hydrodyanmic Charateristics of Drillship for North Sea. Proceeding of the Annual Autumn Meeting, SNAK, Busan, 1530-1537.
- Martensson, N., 2005. Hydrodynamic Analysis of Stena Drillship. GVA consultant Report E007-HY-RP-050-0001
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV), 2004. Design of Offshore Steel Structures, General (LRFD Method), Offshore Standard DNV-OS-C101
- Park, J., Kim, M., Lee, H., Ahn, Y., Kim, Y., Ha, M., 2007. Development of Design Technologies for Optimum Moonpool Shapes of Drillship, Proceeding of 26th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, San Diego, 421-426.
- Aalbers, A.B., 1984. The Water Motions in a Moonpool. Ocean Engineering, 11(6), 557-579. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(84)90001-5
- Buchner, B., 2002. Green Water on Ship-type Offshore Structures. Ph.d Thesis, Delft University of Technology
- Ersdal, G., Kvitrud, A., 2000. Green Water on Norwegian Production Ships. Proceeding of International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineering conference, Seattle, 211-218.