- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Strength Assessment of T-type Lifting Lugs Considering Deformation of Blocks
블록의 변형을 고려한 T형 리프팅 러그의 강도 평가
Lee, Joo-Sung;Kim, Min-Sul
- Received : 2015.07.24
- Accepted : 2015.08.19
- Published : 2015.08.31
Lifting lugs are frequently used in shipyards to transport and turn over the blocks of ships and offshore structures. With the development of shipbuilding technology, blocks have increased in size, and block management technology has assumed a more important role in shipbuilding to enhance the productivity. For the sake of economics, as well as the safe design of a lug structure, a more rational design procedure based on a rigorous structural analysis is needed. This study investigated the strength characteristics of T-type lugs, considering the influence of blocks on which lugs are attached, by varying the in-plane and out-of-plane load direction. In this paper, the ultimate strength is also addressed for cases that include or do not include blocks in the strength analysis. In the present results, when there was a load acting in the normal direction to the block surface, the strength characteristics became poor, and the ultimate strength decreased. This paper ends by describing the need for further study to develop a more rational design for a lug structure.
T type lug;Lifting;Non-linear structural analysis;Ultimate strength;Turn over;Block
- Simulia, 2013. Introduction to Abaqus. BB-Media: Korea.
- Kim, S.I., 2003. Design for Raising the Rate of Recovering Use of Lifting Lug. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 40(4). 59-65. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2003.40.4.059
- Kim, S.I., 2006. Block Lifting Analysis to Examine the Cause of Cracking in the Hopper Top Plate. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(1). 16-19.
- Ku, N.K., Roh, M.I., Cha, J.H., 2012. Calculation of the Dynamic Contact Force between a Shipbuilding Block and Wire Ropes of a Goliath Crane for the Optimal Lug Arrangement. Journal of Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, 25(5). 375-38. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2012.25.5.375
- Lee, J.S., Kim, M.S., Heo, N.H., 2014. The Strength Assessment and Design of T-type Lifting Lug. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the Korean Association of Ocean Science and Technology Societies (KAOSTS), Busan, Korea, 814-819.
- Lee, S.J., Hwang, O.J., Oh, Y.T., Ha, S.H., Kim, Y.H., Lee, S.B., Kim, S.H., 2012. .Strength Assessment of Padeye Hole and Lug Structure Assessment of Block Lifting Lug through Experiments. Proceeding of the Korea Association of Ocean and Technology Societies, EXCO, Daegu, 597-606.
- Min, D.K., Eum, S.M., 2011. A Study on the Optimization of Lifting Lug for Block Erection. Special Issue of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea. 82-89.
- Seo, S.K., Kim, K.R. Eum, S.S., Seo, Y.S., 2011. Design and Strength Analysis of Lifting Lugs. Special Issue of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea. 51-54.
- Heo, N.H., Lee, J.S., 2014. The Structural strength Assesment of Lifting Lug. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(1). 42-50. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.1.42
- Heo, N.H.,, Lee, J.S., Shin, H.K., 2013. A Study on the Evaluation of the Structural Strength for Lifting Lug. Proceedings of the Annual Autumn Conference, Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Ulsan, Korea, 750-755.
- Ham, J.K., 2009. Consideration of the Lufting Lug Structure using the Hybrid Structural Design System. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 23(2). 104-109.