- Volume 59 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Impact of Teachers’ Overcoming Experience of Threshold Concepts in Chemistry on Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) Development
Park, Eun Jung
- Received : 2014.10.17
- Accepted : 2015.06.05
- Published : 2015.08.31
As a follow-up study to identify references for threshold concepts in science, 20 high school chemistry teachers were interviewed. Seven concepts were identified as threshold concepts. The data revealed that teachers overcome the thresholds while they are teaching as well as learning during their school years. This explains that the mastery experience of threshold concepts involve not only the process of creating subject matter knowledge of a learner but also the reflection on or preparation for teaching. Hence, the current study proposes that a strong relationship exists between the mastery experience of threshold concepts and the development of teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge (PCK). In this regard, findings from this study will provide valuable information to understand the nature of threshold concepts and suggests the value of mastery experience of threshold concepts in terms of PCK development.
Threshold concepts;Pedagogical content knowledge;Integrative feature
- Feiman-Nemser, S.; Parker, M. B. Journal of Teacher Education, 1990, 41, 32. https://doi.org/10.1177/002248719004100305
- Carlsen, W. S. Science Education, 1991, 75, 631. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730750605
- Cochran, K. F.; Jones, L. The subject matter knowledge of preservice science teachers. In International Handbook of Science Education; Fraser, B. J., Tobin, K. G. Eds.; 1998; p 707.
- Geddis, A. N. International Journal of Science Education, 1993, 15, 673. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069930150605
- Morine-Dershimer, G. Journal of Teacher Education, 1989, 40, 46.
- Ball, D. L.; McDiarmid, G. W. The subject matter preparation of teachers; In Handbook of Research on Teacher Education; Houston, W. R., Ed.; Macmillan: New York, 1990; p 437.
- Kennedy, M. Trends and Issues in teachers’ subject matter knowledge (Trends and Issues paper No1), ERIC Clearinghouse on Teacher Education, Washington, DC. (ERICED 322100), 1990.
- Wenner, G. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 1993, 2, 461. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00694428
- Tamir, P. Teaching and Teacher Education, 1988, 4, 99. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(88)90011-X
- Smith, D. C.; Neale, D. C. Teaching and Teacher Education, 1989, 5, 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(89)90015-2
- Magnusson, S.; Krajcik, L.; Borko, H. Nature, sources and development of pedagogical content knowledge. In Examining pedagogical content knowledge; Gess-Newsome, J., Lederman, N. G. Eds.; Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1999; p 95.
- Appleton, K. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 2008, 19, 523. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10972-008-9109-4
- Mulholland, J.; Wallace, J. Teaching and Teacher Education, 2001, 17, 243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(00)00054-8
- Johnston, J.; Ahtee, M. Teaching and Teacher Education, 2006, 22, 503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2005.11.015
- De Jong, O.; Veal, W. R.; Van Driel, J. H. Exploring chemistry teachers’ knowledge base. In Chemical education: Towards research-based practice; Springer: The Netherlands, 2003; p 369.
- Park, E.; Light, G. Identifying potential threshold concept in nanoscience and technology: Engaging theory in the service of practice. In Threshold concepts and transformational Learning; Meyer, J. H. F., Land, R., Baillie, C. Eds.; Sense Publishers: The Netherlands, 2010; p 259.
- van Gennep, A. The rites of passage, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. (1960).
- Commons, M. L.; Miller, P. M.; Kuhn, D., Child Development, 1982, 53, 1058. https://doi.org/10.2307/1129147
- Richards, F. A.; Commons, M. L. Systematic, metasystematic, and cross-paradigmatic reasoning: A case for stages of reasoning beyond formal operations. In Beyond formal operations; Commons, M. L., Richards, F. A., Armon, C., Eds.; Praeger Publishers: New York, 1984; p 92.
- Kallio, E. Journal of Adult Development, 1995, 2, 187. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02265716
- Schon, D. A. The reflective practitioner: How professional think in action. Basic Books, Inc. New York, 1983.
- Abell, S. K. Research on science teacher knowledge. In Handbook of Research on Science Education, Abell, S. K., Lederman, N. G. Eds.; Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers: Mahwah, NJ, 2007; p 1105.
- Van Dijk, E. M.; Kattmann, U. Teaching and Teacher Education 2007, 23, 885. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2006.05.002
- Zembal-Saul, C.; Starr, M. L.; Krajcik, J. S. Constructing a framework for elementary science teaching using pedagogical content knowledge. In Examining pedagogical content knowledge; Gess-Newsome, J., Lederman, N. G. Eds.; Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, The Netherlands,1999; p 237.
- Abell, S. K.; Meredith, A.; Rogers, P.; Deborah, L. H.; Lee, M. H.; Gagnon, M. J. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 2009, 20, 77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10972-008-9115-6
- Hume, A.; Berry, A. Research in Science Education, 2011, 41, 341. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-010-9168-3
- Loughran, J.; Berry, A.; Mulhall, P. Science teaching and science teacher education. In Understanding and Developing Science Teachers' Pedagogical Content Knowledge Professional Learning, 2012; p 223.
- van Driel, J. H.; Berry, A. Educational Researcher, 2012, 41, 26. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X11431010
- Hashweh, M. Z. Teachers and Teaching, 2005, 11, 273. https://doi.org/10.1080/13450600500105502
- Lee, E.; Luft, J. A. International Journal of Science Education, 2008, 30, 1343. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690802187058
- Cove, M.; McAdam, J.; McGonigal, J. Mentoring, Teaching and Professional Transformation. In Threshold Concepts within the Disciplines; Land, R.; Meyer, J. H. F., Smith, J. Eds.; Sense Publishers: Rotterdam, 2008; p 197.
- King, C.; Felten, P. The Journal of Faculty Development, 2012, 26, 5.
- Cheek, K. A. Why is geologic time troublesome knowledge? In Threshold concepts and transformational Learning, Meyer, J. H. F.; Land, R.; Baillie, C. Eds.; Sense Publishers, The Netherlands, 2010; p 117.
- McCartney, R.; Eckerdal, A.; Moström, J. E.; Sanders, K.; Thomas, L.; Zander, C. Computing students learning computing informally. In Proceedings of the 10th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research, 2010; p 43. ACM.
- Schneider, R. M.; Plasman, K. Review of Educational Research, 2011, 81, 530. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654311423382
- Fraut, M. Developing professional knowledge and competence.; Falmer Press, London, 1994; p 35.
- Park, S.; Oliver, J. S. Research in Science Education, 2007, 38, 261.
- Shulman, L. S. Educational Researcher, 1986, 15, 4.
- Shulman, L. S. Harvard Educational Review, 1987, 57, 1. https://doi.org/10.17763/haer.57.1.j463w79r56455411
- Haidar, A. H. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1997, 34, 181. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199702)34:2<181::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-P
- Van Driel, J. H.; Verloop, N.; de Vos, W. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1998, 35, 673. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199808)35:6<673::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-J
- Gess-Newsome, J. Pedagogical content knowledge: An introduction and orientation. In Examining pedagogical content knowledge; Gess-Newsome. J., Lederman, N. G. Eds.; Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1999; p 3.
- Grossman, P. L. The making of a teacher: Teacher knowledge and teacher education.; Teachers College Press: Teachers College, Columbia University, 1990; p 6.
- Barnett, J.; Hodson, D. Science Education, 2001, 85, 426. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.1017
- Meyer, J.; Land, R. (2003). Threshold concepts and troublesome knowledge: Linkages to ways of thinking and practicing within the disciplines. ETL project Occasional Report. University of Edinburgh. http://www.etl.tla.ed.ac.uk/docs/ETLreport4.pdf.
- Davies, P. Threshold concepts: how can we recognize them? In Overcoming barriers to student understanding: Threshold concepts and troublesome knowledge; Meyer, J. H. F., Land, R. Eds.; Routledge, 2006; p 70.
- Davies, P. Threshold concepts: how can we recognize them? Proceedings presented at the EARLI Conference. http://web.staffs.ac.uk/schools/business/iepr/etc/WorkingPapers/etcworkingpaper1.pdf, 2003.
- EcEdWeb Economic concepts students should know, available at http://ecedweb.unomaha.edu/home.cfm (accessed 19, February, 2013), 2003.
- Park, E.; Light, G. International Journal of Science Education 2009, 31, 233. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690701675880