- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Domestic Earthquake Events for the Safety Assessment of the Geological Disposal System
심지층 처분시스템의 안전성평가를 위한 국내 지진 발생 특성 평가
Kim, Jung-Woo;Cho, Dong-Keun;Ko, Nak-Youl;Jeong, Jongtae
- Received : 2014.11.27
- Accepted : 2015.03.19
- Published : 2015.08.31
Safety assessments of geological radioactive waste disposal systems, need to consider the abnormal scenario in which a system is impacted by external events in addition to a reference scenario. In this study, the characterization and prediction of an earthquake as an external event which will impact disposal systems were conducted probabilistically and statistically for the safety assessment. The domestic earthquake data were analyzed, and the prediction methodologies of the earthquake were suggested with a computational example. From the results, the earthquake occurrence rates in Korea ranged from 0.4 /yr to 36.2 /yr depending on the data set and the completeness magnitude. From a conservative point of view, the earthquake occurrence rate in the disposal system was suggested as 5.4×10-4 /yr considering the area of the disposal system. At that time, the completeness magnitude of an earthquake was 2.3. This study will be followed by an appraisal of impacts associated with external events on the geological disposal system, and it will contribute to improvements in reliability of the safety assessment.
Geological disposal system;Safety assessment;External event;Earthquake
- J.D. Moon, White Book on Nuclear Energy 2010, Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE) and Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co., Ltd., Korea(2010).
- M.H. Noh, S.K. Lee, and K.R. Choi, “Minimum magnitudes of earthquake catalog of Korea Meteorological Agency for the estimation of seismicity parameters” Journal of the Korean Geophysical Society, 3(4), 261-268 (2000).
- Korea Earthquake Research Center (KERC). "Earthquake Database." Korea Earthquake Research Center Homepage. Accessed Oct. 1 2014. Available from: http://quake.kigam.re.kr/pds/db/db.html.
- R. Gutenberg, C.F. Richter, “Frequency of earthquakes in California” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 34, 185-188 (1944).
- S. Wiemer. "Earthquake Statistics and Earthquake Prediction Research." Institute of Geophysics, Zurich, Switzerland. Accessed Oct. 1 2014. Available from: http://www.zlg.ethz.ch/downloads/publ/publ_Bl15/StefanWiemer.pdf.
- K. Lee and W.S. Yang, “Historical Seismicity of Korea” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 96(3), 846-855 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050050
- J.W. Choi, D.S. Bae, S.H. Ji, G.Y. Kim, and K.S. Kim et al. Geological disposal of pyroprocessed waste from PWR spent nuclear fuel in Korea, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute Report, KAERI/TR-4525 (2011).
- P.A. Rydelek and I.S. Sacks, “Testing the completeness of earthquake catalogues and the hypothesis of self-similarity” Nature, 337(19), 251-253 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1038/337251a0
- GoldSim Technology Group (GTG), GoldSim User's Guide - Probabilistic Simulation Environment, Version 11.1, GoldSim Technology Group, Washington (2014).
- S.H. Seo, Statistical Yearbook of Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT) 2014, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Policy Planning Bureau, Korea (2014).
- J.W. Kim, D.K. Cho, and J. Jeong, “A methodology for a risk-based approach to complex scenarios in a long-term safety assessment of a radioactive waste repository” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 268, 58-63(2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2013.11.086
- S.W. Han and G.U. Kwon, “Determination of epicenters and magnitudes of earthquakes in Korean Peninsula based on historical earthquake catalogues” Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea - Structure & Construction, 19(3), 67-74 (2003).
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA), Historical Earthquake Records in Korea (2~1904), YaleJung-Pan, Korea (2012).
- S.K. Kim, S.G. Kim, J.S. Lee, S.H. Han, and W.H. Kim et al. Study on the seismic design criteria(II): Seismic design performance criteria and economic evaluation, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology Research Report, Control number: OTKCRK410069(1997).
- K. Lee and H.O. Jung, “A study of instrumental earthquake data of the Korean Peninsula” The Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 16(1), 32-45 (1980).
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA). "Domestic Earthquake List." Korea Meteorological Administration Homepage. Accessed Oct. 1 2014. Available from: http://www.kma.go.kr/weather/earthquake/domesticlist.jsp.
- Progress of the long-term safety assessment of a reference disposal system for high level wastes in Korea vol.90, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnucene.2016.02.020
Grant : 처분안전성 신뢰도 향상 기술 개발