- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Study on the Thermal Behavior Evaluation of Bentonite Buffer
벤토나이트 완충재의 열적 거동 평가에 관한 수치해석적 연구
Yoon, Chan-Hoon;Choi, Young-Chul;Choi, Heui-Joo
- Received : 2015.01.30
- Accepted : 2015.03.17
- Published : 2015.08.31
In this study, laboratory test equipment was designed and installed to evaluate the thermal behavior of bentonite, which is used as a buffer in high-level waste disposal systems. The thermal analysis was conducted to verify the test results using ABAQUS, a finite element analysis code. In view of the seasonal changes seen during the test, the thermal behavior of bentonite with a temperature of outside air was evaluated. Of the cases examined, the results of the analysis model using stainless steel (Case 3) approximates to the test results, showing an error of about 1℃. The results of the thermal analysis into seasonal temperature distributions are consistent with trends seen in lab-test results. These analyses show that the effects of the thermal conductivity of the material surrounding the buffer and outside air temperature, are very important factors in the thermal behavior of bentonite. In the future, it is expected that a moisture saturation test of a bentonite buffer containing a heat source will be carried out. Therefore, the development of a numerical analysis model is required for the prediction and verification of the laboratory test results.
Laboratory test;Bentonite;ABAQUS;Thermal conductivity;Thermal behavior
- Svensk Karnbranslehantering AB, Technical Report TR-09-31, Long term test of buffer material at the Äspö HRL, LOT project, Final report on the A0 test parcel (2011).
- J.H. Park, J.E. Kuh, S.K. Kwon, and C.H. Kang, “Thermal Analysis of high level radioactive waste repository using a large model”, Journal of the Korean Nuclear Society, 32 (3), 244-253(2000).
- W.J. Cho, J.O. Lee, and S.K. Kwon, “Thermal conductivity of compacted bentonite and bentonite-sand mixture”, J. Korean Radioact. Waste Soc., 6(2), 101-109 (2008).
- Empresa Nacional de Residuos Radiactivos, S.A. (ENRESA), FEBEX project final report: full-scale engineered barriers experiment for a deep geological repository for high level radioactive waste in crystalline host rock (2000).
- P.L. Martin, J.M. Barcala, and F. Huertas, “Largescale and long-term coupled thermo-hydro-mechanic experiment with bentonite: the FEBEX mock-up test”, Journal of Iberian Geology, 32(2), 259-282 (2006).
- M.V. Villar, P.L. Martin, and J.M. Barcala, “Modification of physical, mechanical and hydraulic properties of bentonite by thermo-hydraulic gradients”, Engineering Geology 81, 284-297 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2005.06.012
- C.R. Sena, J.Q. Salas, and D. Arcos, Technical Report TR-10-65, Thermo-hydro-geochemical modeling of the bentonite buffer LOT A2 experiment (2010).
- M.T. Åkesson, Svensk Karnbranslehantering AB, Technical Report TR-12-04, Temperature buffer test- Final report (2012).
- J.O. Lee, W.J. Cho, and J.W. Choi, “The surface mockup KENTEX: on the thermal-hydro-mechanical behaviors in the buffer of a Korean HLW repository”, International Conference Underground Disposal Unit Design & Emplacement Processes for a Deep Geological Repository, 14-1~14-10(2008).
- M.S. Lee, H.J. Choi, J.Y. Lee, C.S. Lee, J.O. Lee, and I.Y. Kim, “Overseas Review on the In-situ Demonstration of EBS for IN-DEBS Development”, JNFCWT 12(2), 107-119 (2014).