- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Practical Photovoltaic Simulator with a Cross Tackling Control Strategy Based on the First-hand Duty Cycle Processing
Wang, Shuren;Jiang, Wei;Lin, Zhengyu
- Received : 2014.12.11
- Accepted : 2015.03.18
- Published : 2015.07.31
This paper proposes a methodological scheme for the photovoltaic (PV) simulator design. With the advantages of a digital controller system, linear interpolation is proposed for precise fitting with higher computational efficiency. A novel control strategy that directly tackles two different duty cycles is proposed and implemented to achieve a full-range operation including short circuit (SC) and open circuit (OC) conditions. Systematic design procedures for both hardware and algorithm are explained, and a prototype is built. Experimental results confirm an accurate steady state performance under different load conditions, including SC and OC. This low power apparatus can be adopted for PV education and research with a limited budget.
Cross tackling control;Open circuit (OC);Photovoltaic (PV) simulator;Power conversion;Short circuit (SC)
- M. Fortunato, A. Giustiniani, G. Petrone, G. Spagnuolo, and M. Vitelli, “Maximum power point tracking in a one-cycle-controlled single-stage photovoltaic inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 7, pp. 2684-2693, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918463
- C. Hua, J. Lin, and C. Shen, “Implementation of a DSP-controlled photovoltaic system with peak power tracking,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 99-107, Feb. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.661310
- M. G. Villalva, J. R. Gazoli, and E. R. Filho, “Comprehensive approach to modeling and simulation of photovoltaic arrays,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1198-1208, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2013862
- A. Koran, K. Sano, R. Kim, and J. Lai, “Design of a photovoltaic simulator with a novel reference signal generator and two-stage LC output filter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 1331-1338, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2037501
- J. Ollila, "A medium power PV-array simulator with a robust control strategy," in Proc. IEEE Conf. Control Appl., pp. 40-45, 1995.
- P. Marenholtz, “Programmable solar array simulator,” IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. AES-2, No. 6, pp. 104-107, Nov. 1966. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.1966.4501996
- L. Yongdong, R. Jianye, and S. Min, "Design and implementation of a solar array simulator," in Proc. ICEMS Int. Conf., pp. 2633-2636, 2004.
- Schofield, D.M.K., Foster, M.P., Stone, D.A., “Low-cost solar emulator for evaluation of maximum power point tracking methods,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 208-209, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2010.2930
- A. Koran, T. LaBella, and J. Lai, “High Efficiency Photovoltaic Source Simulator with Fast Response Time for Solar Power Conditioning Systems Evaluation,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1285-1297, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2262297
- J. Zhao and J. W. Kimball, "A Digitally Implemented Photovoltaic Simulator with a double current mode controller," in Proc. Appl. Power Electron. Conf. (APEC), pp. 53-58, Feb. 2012.
- E. Koutroulis, K. Kalaitzakis, and N. Voulgaris, “Development of a microcontroller-based, photovoltaic maximum power point tracking control system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 46-54, Jan. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.903988
- Y. Chen and K. Smedley, “A cost-effective single-stage inverter with maximum power point tracking,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1289-1294, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833458
- M. Shahidehpour and F. Schwartz, “Don’t let the sun go down on PV,” IEEE Power Energy Mag., Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 40-48, May/Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPAE.2004.1293599
- A. Tariq and M.S. J. Asgha, "Development of an analog maximum power point tracer for photovoltaic panel," in Proc. IEEE Power Electronics and Drives Systems, Vol. 1, pp. 251-255, 2005.
- H. Mekki, A. Mellit, H. Salhi, and B. Khaled, "Modeling and simulation of photovoltaic panel based on artificial neural networks and VHDL-language," in Proc. 14th IEEE Int. Conf. Electron., Circuits Syst. (ICECS), pp. 58-61, 2007.
- K. Khouzam, C. Khoon Ly, C. Koh, and P. Y. Ng, "Simulation and real-time modelling of space photovoltaic systems," in Proc. IEEE 1st World Conf. Photovoltaic Energy Convers., Conf. Record 24th IEEE Photovoltaic Spec. Conf., Vol. 2, pp. 2038-2041, 1994.
- Q. Zeng, P. Song, and L. Chang, "A photovoltaic simulator based on dc chopper," in Proc. IEEE CCECE Conf. Vol. 1, pp. 257-261, 2002.
- S. Ldloyd, G. Smith, and D. Infield, "Design and construction of a modular electronic photovoltaic simulator," in Proc. Inst. Electr. Eng. Power Electr. Variable Speed Drives Conf., pp. 120-123, 2000.
- S. Armstrong, C. Lee, and W. Hurley, "Investigation of the harmonic response of a photovoltaic system with a solar emulator," in Proc. Eur. Conf. Power Electron. Appl., pp. 1-8, 2005.
- O. Midtgard, "A simple photovoltaic simulator for testing of power electronics," in Proc. Eur. Conf. Power Electron. Appl., pp. 1-10, 2007.