- Volume 15 Issue 4
This study presents a practical implementation of a multi-mode two-phase interleaved boost converter for fuel cell electric vehicle application. The main operating modes, which include two continuous conducting modes and four discontinuous conducting modes, are discussed. The boundaries and transitions among these modes are analyzed with consideration of the inductor parasitic resistance. The safe operational area is analyzed through a comparison of the different operating modes. The output voltage and power characteristics with open-loop or closed-loop operation are also discussed. Key performance parameters, including the DC voltage gain, input ripple current, output ripple voltage, and switch stresses, are presented and supported by simulation and experimental results.
CCM;DCM;Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle;Inductor parasitic resistance;Interleaved Boost Converter;Mode Transition;SOA
- M. M. Jovanovic and Y. Jang, “State-of-the-art, single-phase, active power-factor-correction techniques for high-power applications - an overview,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 701-708, Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.843964
- K. I. Hwu and Y. H. Chen, “Applying differential-mode transformer to current sharing with current ripple considered,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 7, pp. 2755 -2771, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2080650
- H. L. Do, “Interleaved boost converter with a single magnetic component,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 7, pp. 842-849, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2010.0256
- H. R. E. Larico and I. Barbi, “Three-phase push–pull DC–DC converter: Analysis, design, and experimentation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 12, pp. 4629-4636, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2177609
- J. H. Kim, Y. C. Jung, S. W. Lee, T. W. Lee, and C. Y. Won, “Power loss analysis of interleaved soft switching boost converter for single-phase PV-PCS,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 335-341, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.4.335
- M. Kabalo, B. Blunier, D. Bouquain, and A. Miraoui, “Comparaison analysis of high voltage ratio low input current ripple floating interleaving boost converters for fuel cell applications,” 2011 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), pp. 6-9, 2011.
- P. Thounthong, “Control of a three-level boost converter based on a differential flatness approach for fuel cell vehicle applications,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 3, pp. 1467-1472, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2183628
- L. Tang and G.-J. Su, “An interleaved reduced-component-count multivoltage bus DC/DC converter for fuel cell powered electric vehicle applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 1638-1644, Sep./Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.2002269
- M. Nymand and M. A. E. Andersen, “High-efficiency isolated boost DC–DC converter for high-power low-voltage fuel-cell applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 505-514, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2036024
- C.-M. Wang, C.-H. Lin, S.-Y. Hsu, C.-M. Lu, and J.-C. Li, “Analysis, design and performance of a zero-currents witching pulse-width-modulation interleaved boost DC/DC converter,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 9, pp. 2437-2445, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0510
- W. Li, Y. Zhao, J. Wu, and X. He “Interleaved high step-up converter with winding-cross-coupled inductors and voltage multiplier cells,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 133-143, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2028688
- A. Hajizadeh, M. A. Golkar, and A. Feliachi, “Voltage control and active power management of hybrid fuel-cell/energy-storage power conversion system under unbalanced voltage sag conditions,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 1195-1208, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2062516
- M. Kabalo, D. Paire, B. Blunier, D. Bouquain, M. G. Simoes, and A. Miraoui, “Experimental validation of high-voltage-ratio low-input-current-ripple converters for hybrid fuel cell supercapacitor systems,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3430-3440, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2208132
- Z. Zhang, Z. Ouyang, O. C. Thomsen, and M. A. E. Andersen, “Analysis and design of a bidirectional isolated DC–DC converter for fuel cells and supercapacitors hybrid system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 848-859, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2159515
- C. Sudhakarababu and M. Veerachary, “DSP based control of interleaved boost converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 180-189, Jul. 2005.
- L. Zhang, X. Yang, W. Chen, and X. Yao, “An isolated soft-switching bidirectional buck-boost inverter for fuel cell applications,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 235-244, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.3.235
- A. K. Rathore and U. R. Prasanna, “Analysis, design, and experimental results of novel snubberless bidirectional naturally clamped ZCS/ZVS current-fed half-bridge DC/DC converter for fuel cell vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 4482-4491, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2213563
- M. Pahlevaninezhad, P. Das, J. Drobnik, P. K. Jain, and A. Bakhshai, “A novel ZVZCS full-bridge DC/DC converter used for electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 2752-2769, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2178103
- R. G. Wandhare, S. Thale, and V. Agarwal, "Reconfigurable hierarchical control of a microgrid developed with PV, wind, micro-hydro, fuel cell and ultra-capacitor," in Conf. Proc. IEEE 28th APEC, pp. 2799-2806, 2013.
- F. Gao, B. Blunier, A. Miraoui, and A. E. Moudni, “A multiphysic dynamic 1-D model of a proton-exchange-membrane fuel-cell stack for real-time simulation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 6, pp. 1853 -1864, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2021177
- S. N. Motapon, L.-A. Dessaint, and K. Al-Haddad, “A comparative study of energy management schemes for a fuel-cell hybrid emergency power system of more-electric aircraft,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 3, pp. 1320-1334, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2257152
- P. Thounthong, V. Chunkag, P. Sethakul, B. Davat, and M. Hinaje, “Comparative study of fuel-cell vehicle hybridization with battery or supercapacitor storage device,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 58, No. 8, pp. 3892-3904, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2009.2028571
- L. Xian, G. Wang, and Y. Wang, “Subproportion control of double input buck converter for fuel cell/battery hybrid power supply system,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 8, pp. 2141-2150, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0353
- W. Jiang and B. Fahimi, “Active current sharing and source management in fuel cell–battery hybrid power system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 752-761, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2027249
- Amin, R. T. Bambang, A. S. Rohman, C. J. Dronkers, R. Ortega, and A. Sasongko, “Energy management of fuel cell/battery/supercapacitor hybrid power sources using model predictive control,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 1992-2002, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2333873
- Y. Wu and H. Gao, “Optimization of fuel cell and supercapacitor for fuel-cell electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 1748-1755, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2006.883764
- B. Gengm J. K. Mills, and D. Sun, “Two-stage energy management control of fuel cell plug-in hybrid electric vehicles considering fuel cell longevity,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 498-508, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2177483
- I. Park and S. Kim, “A sliding mode observer design for fuel cell electric vehicles,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 172-177, Apr. 2006.
- M. G. H. Aghdam and G. Hosseini, “Z-source inverter with SiC power semiconductor devices for fuel cell vehicle applications,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 606-611, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.4.606
- A. Khaligh, and Z. Li, “Battery, ultracapacitor, fuel cell, and hybrid energy storage systems for electric, hybrid electric, fuel cell, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles: State of the art,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 2806-2814, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2047877