- Volume 15 Issue 4
These days, the widespread use of sensitive loads and distributed generators makes the solid-state circuit breaker (SSCB) an essential component in power circuits to achieve a high power quality for AC Grids. In traditional AC SSCB using SCRs, some auxiliary mechanical devices are required to make the reclosing operation possible before fault recovery. However, the proposed AC SSCB can break quickly and then be reclosed without auxiliary mechanical devices even during the short-circuit fault. Moreover, its fault current breaking time is short and its SSCB reclosing operation is fast. This results in a reduction of the economic losses due to fault currents and power outages. Through simulations and experiments on short-circuit faults, the performance characteristics of the proposed AC SSCB are verified. A design guideline is also suggested to apply the proposed AC SSCB to various AC grids.
AC SSCB;Operating duty;Rebreaking capability;Reclosing operation;Solid-state circuit breaker (SSCB);Thyristor
- C. Abbey, D. Cornforth, N. Hatziargyriou, K. Hirose, A. Kwasinski, E. Kyriakides, G. Platt, L. Reyes, and S. Suryanarayanan, “Powering through the storm: Microgrids operation for more efficient disaster recovery,” IEEE Power Energy Mag., Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 67-76, May/Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2014.2301514
- C37.09, IEEE Standard Test Procedure for AC High-Voltage Circuit Breakers Rated on a Symmetrical Current Basis, IEEE Std C37.013-1993, 2000.
- S. Lee and H. Kim, “A study on low-voltage DC circuit breakers,” IEEE International Industrial Electronics Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), pp. 1-6, 2013.
- J.-Y. Kim, I.-D. Kim, and E.-C. Nho, “A novel DC solid-state circuit breaker for DC grid,” Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics(KIPE), Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 368-376, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2012.17.4.368
- C. Meyer, S. Schroder, and R. W. De Doncker, “Solid-State circuit breakers and current limiters for medium-voltage systems having distributed power systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1333-1340, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833454
- C. Meyer and R. W. De Doncker, “Solid-state circuit breaker based on active Thyristor topologies,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 450-458, Mar. 2006 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.869756
- C.-N. Lu and C.-C. Shen, “Estimation of sensitive equipment disruptions due to voltage sags,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 1132-1137, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.893433
- N. Hatziargyriou, H. Asano, R. Iravani, and C. Marnay, “Microgrids,” IEEE Power Energy Mag., Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 78-94, Jul./Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPAE.2007.376583
- F. Katiraei and M. R. Iravani, “Power management strategies for a microgrid with multiple distributed generation units,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 1821-1831, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.879260
- G. Parise and L. Parise, “Unprotected faults of electrical and extension cords in AC and DC systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 1, pp.4-9, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2271605