- Volume 15 Issue 4
A standard repetitive controller (RC) is theoretically able to replace a bank of resonant controllers in harmonic signals tracking applications. However, the traditional RC has some drawbacks such as a poor dynamic response and a complex structure to compensate grid frequency deviations for an effective unified power quality conditioner (UPQC) control scheme. In order to solve these problems, an improved RC with an outstanding dynamic response and a simplified grid frequency adaptive scheme is proposed for UPQC control systems in this paper. The control strategy developed for the UPQC has delay time, i.e., one-sixth of a fundamental period (Tp/6), repetitive controllers. As a result, the UPQC system can provide a fast dynamic response along with good compensation performance under both nonlinear and unbalanced loads. Furthermore, to guarantee the excellent performance of the UPQC under grid frequency deviations, a grid frequency adaptive scheme was developed for the RC using a simple first order Padé's approximation. When compared with other approaches, the proposed control method is simpler in structure and requires little computing time. Moreover, the entire control strategy can be easily implemented with a low-cost DSP. The effectiveness of the proposed control method is verified through various experimental tests.
Active Power Filter;Harmonic Compensation;Repetitive Control;Unified Power Quality Conditioner
- Y. Wang; D. Wang, B. Zhang, and K. Zhou, “Fractional delay based repetitive control with application to PWM DC/AC converters,” Control Applications, 2007. CCA 2007. IEEE International Conference on, pp. 928-933, 2007.
- M. H. J. Bollen, Understanding Power Quality Problems: Voltage Sags and Interruptions, New York: IEEE Press, 1999.
- G. J. Silva, A. Datta, S. P. Bhattacharyya, PID Controllers for Time delay Systems, Birkhäuser, 2004.
- F. D. Freijedo, J. Doval-Gandoy, O. Lopez, and E. Acha, “Tuning of phase locked loops for power converters under distorted utility conditions,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 2039-2047, Nov./Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2031790
- IEEE Recommended Practices and Requirements for Harmonic Control in Electrical Power Systems, IEEE Std. 519-1992, 1992.
- Z. Zeng, J.-Q. Yang, S.-L. Chen, and J. Huang, “Fast-transient repetitive control strategy for a three-phase LCL filter-based shunt active power filter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 392-401, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.2.392
- M. A. Herran, J. R. Fischer, S. A. Gonzalez, M. G. Judewicz, I. Carugati, and D. O. Carrica, D.O., “Repetitive control with adaptive sampling frequency for wind power generation systems,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 58-69, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2013.2290572
- J. Olm, G. Ramos, and R. Costa-Castello, “Stability analysis of digital repetitive control systems under time-varying sampling period,” IET Control Theory & Applications, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 29-37, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2009.0308
- T. Hornik and Q.-C. Zhong, “H∞ repetitive voltage control of grid connected inverters with a frequency adaptive mechanism,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 925-935, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2009.0345
- D. Chen, J. Zhang, and Z. Qian, “An improved repetitive control scheme for grid-connected inverter with frequency-adaptive capability,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 814-823, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2205364
- M. Rashed, C. Klumpner, and G. Asher, “Repetitive and resonant control for a single-phase grid-connected hybrid cascaded multilevel converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2224-2234, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2218833
- Z. Zou, K. Zhou, Z. Wang, and M. Cheng, “Fractional-order repetitive control of programmable AC power sources,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 431-438, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0429
- G. Escobar, M. Hernandez-Gomez, A. A. Valdez-Fernandez, M. Lopez-Sanchez, and G. A. Catzin-Contreras, “Implementation of a 6n±1 repetitive controller subject to fractional delays,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., to be published.
- A. G. Yepes, F. D. Freijedo, O. Lopez, J. Malvar, and J.Doval-Gandoy, “High-performance digital resonant controllers implemented with two integrators,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 1692-1712, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2102779
- K. Zhang, Y. Kang, J. Xiong, and J. Chen, “Direct repetitive control of SPWM inverters for UPS purpose,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 784-792, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810846
- B. Zhang, D. Wang, K. Zhou, and Y. Wang, “Linear phase lead compensation repetitive control of a CVCF PWM inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 1595-1602, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.917105
- K. Zhou, K.-S. Low, Y. Wang, F.-L. Luo, B. Zhang, and Y. Wang, “Zero-phase odd-harmonic repetitive controller for a single-phase PWM inverter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 193-201, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.861190
- Y. Cho and J.-S. Lai, “Digital plug-in repetitive controller for single-phase bridgeless PFC converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 165-175, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2195507
- Z. Zou, Z. Wang, and M. Cheng, “Modeling, analysis, and design of multifunction grid-interfaced inverters with output LCL filter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3830-3839, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2280724
- Q. N. Trinh and H. H. Lee, “An advanced repetitive controller to improve the voltage characteristics of distributed generation with nonlinear loads,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 409-418, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.3.409
- D. Chen, J. Zhang, and Z. Qian, “Research on fast transient and 6n ± 1 harmonics suppressing repetitive control scheme for three-phase grid-connected inverters,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 601-610, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0348
- K. H. Kwan, P. L. So, and Y.-C. Chu, “An output regulation-based unified power quality conditioner with Kalman filters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 11, pp. 4248-4262, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2193852
- M. Kesler and E. Ozdemir, “Synchronous reference frame based control method for UPQC under unbalanced and distorted load conditions,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 3967-3975 , Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2100330
- V. Khadkikar, A. Chandra, A. O. Barry, and T. D. Nguyen, “Power quality enhancement utilizing single phase unified power quality conditioner: Digital signal processor-based experimental validation,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 323-331, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2010.0031
- M. Basu, S. P. Das, and G. K. Dubey, “Investigation on the performance of UPQC-Q for voltage sag mitigation and power quality improvement at a critical load point,” IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp.414-423, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd:20060317
- I. Axente, M. Basu, M. F. Conlon, and K. Gaughan, “A 12-kVA DSP-controlled laboratory prototype UPQC capable of mitigating unbalance in source voltage and load current,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 1302-1309, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2040635
- V. G. Kinhal, P. Agarwal, and H. O. Gupta, “Performance investigation of neural-network-based unified power-quality conditioner,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 431-437, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2050706
- S. B. Karanki, M. K. Mishra, and B. K. Kumar, “Particle swarm optimization-based feedback controller for unified power-quality conditioner,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 2814-2824, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2047873
- Q.-N. Trinh and H.-H. Lee, “Novel control strategy for a UPQC under distorted source and nonlinear load conditions,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 161-169, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.1.161
- Q. Liu, L. Peng, Y. Kang, S. Tang, D. Wu, and Y. Qi, “A novel design and optimization method of an LCL filter for a shunt active power filter, “IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 4000-4010, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2282592
- Q. Trinh and H. Lee, “An advanced current control strategy for three phase shunt active power filters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 12, pp. 5400-5410, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2229677
- S. Rahmani, A. Hamadi, K. Al-Haddad, and L. A. Dessaint, “A combination of shunt hybrid power filter and Thyristor-controlled reactor for power quality,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2152-2164, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2272271
- H. Awad, H. Nelsen, F. Blaabjerg, and M. John Newman, “Operation of static series compensator under distorted utility conditions,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 448-457, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.841238
- Y. W. Li, F. Blaabjerg, D. M. Vilathgamuwa, and P. C. Loh, “Design and comparison of high performance stationary-frame controllers for DVR implementation,” IEEE Trans. Power. Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 602-612, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.890002
- H. Fujita and H. Akagi, “The unified power quality conditioner: The integration of series and shunt active filters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 315-322, Mar. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.662847
- H. Akagi, E. H. Watanabe, and M. Aredes, Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-IEEE Press, Apr. 2007.
- V. Khadkikar, “Enhancing electric power quality using UPQC: A comprehensive overview,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 2284-2297, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2172001
- K. H. Kwan, Y. C. Chu, and P. L. So, “Model-based H∞ control of a unified power quality conditioner,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 7, pp. 2493-2504, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2020705
- A Single-Loop Repetitive Voltage Controller with an Active Damping Control Technique vol.10, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10050673