- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Wide Frequency Range LLC Resonant Controller IC with a Phase-Domain Resonance Deviation Prevention Circuit for LED Backlight Units
Park, YoungJun;Kim, Hongjin;Chun, Joo-Young;Lee, JooYoung;Pu, YoungGun;Lee, Kang-Yoon
- Received : 2014.10.25
- Accepted : 2015.03.06
- Published : 2015.07.31
This paper presents a wide frequency range LLC resonant controller IC for LED backlight units. In this paper a new phase-domain resonance deviation prevention circuit (RDPC), which covers a wide frequency and input voltage range, is proposed. In addition, a wide range gate clock generator and an automatic dead time generator are proposed. The chip is fabricated using 0.35 μm BCD technology. The die size is 2 x 2 mm2. The frequency of the clock generator ranges from 38 kHz to 400 kHz, and the dead time ranges from 300 ns to 2 μs. The current consumption of the LLC resonant controller IC is 4 mA for a 100 kHz operation frequency using a supply voltage of 15 V.
Backlight unit;Clock generator;Dead time;LED driver;LLC resonant controller;Prevention Circuit (RDPC);Resonance Deviation;Wide range
- ICE2HS01G: High Performance Resonant Mode Controller, www.infineon.com, May 2011.
- J. Garcia, M. A. Dalla-Costa, J. Cardesin, J. M. Alonso, M. Rico-Secades, “Dimming of high-brightness LEDs by means of luminous flux thermal estimation,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.1107-1114, Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2011989
- C. C. Chen, C. Y. Wu, Y. M. Chen, and T. F. Wu, “Sequential color LED backlight driving system for LCD panels,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 919-925, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.897001
- K. Zhou, J. G. Zhang, S. Yuvarajan, and D. F. Weng, “Quasi-active power factor correction circuit for HBLED driver,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1410-1415, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921184
- R. Beiranvand, B. Rashidian, M. R. Zolghadri, and S. M. H. Alavi, “Optimizing the normalized dead-time and maximum switching frequency of a wide-adjustable-range LLC resonant converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 462-472, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2068563
- D. Fu, Y. Liu, F. C. Lee, and M. Xu, “Novel driving scheme for synchronous rectifiers in LLC resonant converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1321-1329, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2012500
- S.-W. Hong, H.-J. Kim, J. S. Park, Y. G. Pu, J. Cheon, D. H. Han, and K. Y. Lee, “Secondary-side LLC resonant controller IC with dynamic PWM dimming and dual-slope clock generator for LED backlight units,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3410-3422, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2142326
- H. J. Kim, S. Y. Kim, and K. Y. Lee, “A dual-output integrated LLC resonant controller and LED driver IC with PLL-based automatic duty control,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 886-894, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.6.886
- L6699: Enhanced High Voltage Resonant Controller, www.st.com, Jan. 2013.
- NCP1398B/C: High Performance Resonant Mode Controller with Integrated High-Voltage Drivers, www.onsemi.com, Jan. 2013.
- S.-S. Hong, S.-H. Lee, S.-H. Cho, C.-W. Roh, and S.-K. Han “A new cost-effective current-balancing multi-channel LED driver for a large screen LCD backlight units,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 351-356, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.4.351
- B. Yang and F. C. Lee, "LLC resonant converter for front end DC/DC conversion," in Proc. IEEE APEC, Vol. 2, pp. 1108-1112, 2002.
- B. Lu, W. Liu, Y. Liang, F. C. Lee, and J. D. Van Wyk, "Optimal design methodology for LLC resonant converter," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 533-538, 2006.
- H.-S. Choi, “Design consideration of half-bridge LLC resonant converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 13-20, Jan. 2007.
- B. Yang, “Topology investigation of front end DC DC converter for distributed power system,” Ph. D. thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA, USA, 2003.
- D. J. Tschirhart and P. K. Jain, "Secondary-side control of a constant frequency series resonant converter using dual-edge PWM," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 544-549, 2010.
- J. Garcia, A. J. Calleja, E. L. Corominas, D. Gacio, and J. Ribas, "Electronic driver without electrolynic capacitor for dimming High Brightness LEDs," in Proc. IEEE IECON, pp. 3518-3523, 2009.
- W. Liu and J. D. van Wyk, "Design of integrated LLCT module for LLC resonant converter," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 362-368, 2005.
- Y. Lembeye, P. Goubier, and J. P. Ferrieux, “Integrated planar L-C-T component: design, characterization and experimental efficiency analysis,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 593-599, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.846558
- L. Y. Pan, S. C. Chang, M. Y. Liao, and Y. T Lin, “The future development of global LCD TV industry,” in Proc. PICMET, pp. 1818 -1821, 2007.
- F. Xiaoyun, L. Xiaojian, and W. Yan, “Research and analysis of the design development and perspective technology for LED lighting products,” in Proc. IEEE CAID&CD, pp. 1330-1334, 2009,