- Volume 15 Issue 4
High frequency alternating current (HFAC) has been widely used in a wide range of power distribution systems (PDS) due to its superior performance. A high frequency AC/DC converter plays the role of converting HFAC voltage to DC voltage. In this paper, a new LCL-T resonant AC/DC converter has been proposed, and an easier control method based on input voltage comparison is presented, without the complicated calculation of the zero-crossing point. Both a low distortion and near-to-unity power factor can be achieved by the proposed resonant converter and control strategy. The operational principle and steady-state analysis are given for the proposed resonant converter. A simulation model and experimental prototype are implemented with an operation frequency of 25kHz and a rated power of 20W. The simulation and experimental results verify the accuracy of the analysis and the excellent performance of the proposed topology.
AC/DC converter;Controllable resonant converter;High frequency alternating current (HFAC)
- Q. Luo , S. Zhi , C. Zou, W. Lu, and L. Zhou, “An LED driver with dynamic high-frequency sinusoidal bus voltage regulation for multistring applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 491-500, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2253335
- H. Pollock, “Simple constant frequency constant current load-resonant power supply under variable load conditions,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 18, pp. 1505-1506, Aug. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19971063
- R. Carbone, H. W. Dommel, R. Langella, and A. Testa, “Analysis and estimation of truncation errors in modeling complex resonant circuits with the EMTP,” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 295-304, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615(01)00043-6
- M. Borage, S. Tiwari, and S. Kotaiah, “Analysis and design of an LCL-T resonant converter as a constant-current power supply,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 1547-1554, Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.858729
- M. Borage, S. Tiwari, and S. Kotaiah, “LCL-T resonant converter with clamp diodes: a novel constant-current power supply with inherent constant-voltage limit,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 741-746, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.892254
- I. M. Frivaldský P. Drgoň, and P. Šáik, “Experimental analysis and optimization of key parameters of ZVS mode and its application in the proposed LLC converter designed for distributed power system application,” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 47, pp. 448-456, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.11.016
- J. C. W. Lam and P. K. Jain, “A modified valley fill electronic ballast having a current source resonant inverter with improved line-current total harmonic distortion (THD), high power factor, and low lamp crest factor,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1147-1159, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907668
- J. Qian, F. C. Lee, and T. Yamauchi, “An improved charge pump power factor correction electronic ballast,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1007-1013, Nov. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.803393
- M. C. Tanju and P. K. Jain, “High-performance ac/dc converter for high-frequency power distribution systems: analysis, design considerations, and experimental results,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 275-280, May 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.311260
- P. Jain and M. C. Tanju, "A unity power factor resonant AC/DC converter for high-frequency space power distribution system," in Proc. PESC, pp. 3-9, 1994.
- F. Musavi, P. K. Jain, and H. Zhang, "A resonant AC/DC converter for high frequency power architecture," in Proc. INTELEC, pp. 497-503, 2002.
- C.-M. Lai and R.-C. Lee, "A single-stage AC/DC LLC resonant converter," in Proc. ICIT, pp. 1386-1390, 2006.
- F. Musavi, “A resonant AC/DC converter for high frequency power distribution systems,” Master Thesis, Concordia University, Canada, 2001.
- M. Qiu, “High frequency AC distributed power system for desktop computer applications,” PHD Thesis, Concordia University, Canada, 2004.
- Q. Luo, C. Zou, S. Zhi, Hua Yan, L. Zhou, "A multi-channel LED driver based on passive resonant constant current networks," in Proc. the CSEE， Vol. 33, No. 18, pp. 73-79, May 2013.
- P. Jain, M. Pahlevaninezhad, S. Pan, and J. Drobnik, “A review of high frequency power distribution systems: for space, telecommunication, and computer applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 3852-3863, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2291364
- P. Jain and M. Tanju, “Improved DC/AC interface inverter for high-frequency space applications,” IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1150-1163, Oct. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.259518
- J. Liu, K. Wai and E. Cheng, “New power sharing scheme with correlation control for input-parallel-output-series-based interleaved resonant inverters,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 1266-1277, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0203
- Z. Ye, J. C. W. Lam, and P. C. Sen, “A robust one-cycle controlled full-bridge series-parallel resonant inverter for a high-frequency ac (HFAC) distribution system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22. No. 6. pp. 2331-2343, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.909190
- Z. Ye, P. K. Jain, and P. C. Sen, “A full-bridge resonant inverter with modified phase-shift modulation for high-frequency ac power distribution systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2831-2845, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.896030
- J. Liu, K. W. E. Cheng, and J. Zeng, “A unified phase-shift modulation for optimized synchronization of parallel resonant inverters in high frequency power system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 7, pp. 3232-3247, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2279354
- P. Jain and M. C. Tanju, “A unity power factor resonant AC/DC converter for high-frequency space power distribution system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 325–331, Mar. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.558753
- R. Strzeleki and G. Benysek, Power Electronics in Smart Electrical Energy Networks, Springer, pp.175-201, 2008.
- P. Jain and H. Pinheiro, “Hybrid high frequency AC power distribution architecture for telecommunication systems,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 138-147, Jan. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.745687
- J. Liu and K. W. E. Cheng, “μ-based robust controller design of LCLC resonant inverter for high-frequency power distribution system,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 652-662, April. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0637
- W. Guo and P. K. Jain, “A Power-factor-corrected ac-ac inverter topology using a unified controller for high-frequency power distribution architecture,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 874-883, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.831746
- B. K. Bose, M.-H. Kin, and M. D. Kankam, "High frequency ac vs dc distribution system for next generation hybrid electric vehicle," in Proc. IECON, pp. 706-712, 1996.
- S. Chakraborty and M. G. Simoes, “Experimental evaluation of active filtering in a single-phase high-frequency ac microgrid,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 673-682, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2015998
- J. Liu, K.W.E Cheng, and Y. Ye, “A cascaded multilevel inverter based on switched-capacitor for high-frequency AC power distribution system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 4219-4230, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2291514
- S. Luo and I. Batarseh, “A review of distributed power systems part II: High frequency AC distributed power systems,” IEEE Aerosp. Electron. Syst. Mag., Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 5-14, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAES.2006.1662037
- A Phase Angle Self-Synchronization Topology for Parallel Operations of Multi-Inverters in High Frequency AC Distribution pp.1532-5016, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2018.1510444