- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Single Sensor Charging System with MPPT Capability for Standalone Streetlight Applications
Osman, Siti Rahimah;Rahim, Nasrudin Abd.;Selvaraj, Jeyraj;Al-Turki, Yusuf A.
- Received : 2014.12.22
- Accepted : 2015.04.05
- Published : 2015.07.31
Maximum power point tracking (MPPT) and battery charging control are two important functions for a solar battery charger. The former improves utilization of the available solar energy, while the latter ensures a prolonged battery life. Nevertheless, complete implementation of both functions can be complex and costly, especially for low voltage application such as standalone street lamps. In this paper, the operation of a solar battery charger for standalone street light systems is investigated. Using only one voltage sensor, the solar charger is able to operate in both MPPT and constant voltage (CV) charging mode, hence providing high performance at a low cost. Using a lab prototype and a solar simulator, the operation of the charger system is demonstrated and its performance under varying irradiance is validated.
Battery charger;Low cost;Maximum power point tracking (MPPT);Photovoltaic (PV)
- M. H. Taghvaee, M. a. M. Radzi, S. M. Moosavain, H. Hizam, and M. Hamiruce Marhaban, “A current and future study on non-isolated DC-DC converters for photovoltaic applications,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., Vol. 17, pp. 216-227, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.09.023
- Y. Du and D. D.-C. Lu, “Battery-integrated boost converter utilizing distributed MPPT configuration for photovoltaic systems,” Sol. Energy, Vol. 85, No. 9, pp. 1992-2002, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2011.05.008
- D. P. Hohm and M. E. Ropp, “Comparative study of maximum power point tracking algorithms,” Prog. Photovoltaics Res. Appl., Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 47-62, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/pip.459
- O. Guenounou, B. Dahhou, and F. Chabour, “Adaptive fuzzy controller based MPPT for photovoltaic systems,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 78, pp. 843-850, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.07.093
- V. Salas, E. Olís, a. Láaro, and a. Barrado, “New algorithm using only one variable measurement applied to a maximum power point tracker,” Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, Vol. 87, No. 1-4, pp. 675-684, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2004.09.019
- N. Dasgupta, a Pandey, and a Mukerjee, “Voltage-sensing-based photovoltaic MPPT with improved tracking and drift avoidance capabilities,” Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, Vol. 92, No. 12, pp. 1552-1558, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2008.06.020
- M. Momayyezan and H. Iman-eini, “Developed MPPT algorithm for photovoltaic systems without a voltage sensor,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 1042-1050, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.6.1042
- D. Ryu, B. Choi, S. Lee, Y. Kim, and C. Won, “Flyback inverter using voltage sensorless MPPT for photovoltaic AC modules,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1293-1302, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.6.1293
- T.-T. Nguyen, H. W. Kim, G. H. Lee, and W. Choi, “Design and implementation of the low cost and fast solar charger with the rooftop PV array of the vehicle,” Sol. Energy, Vol. 96, pp. 83-95, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2013.07.006
- H. L. Chan, “A new battery model for use with battery energy storage Systems and electric vehicles power systems,” Power Eng. Soc. Winter Meet. 2000. IEEE, Vol. 1, pp. 470 - 475, 2000.
- S. Armstrong, M. E. Glavin, and W. G. Hurley, "Comparison of battery charging algorithms for stand alone photovoltaic systems," in 2008 IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2008, pp. 1469-1475.
- B. W. Williams, Power electronics: devices, drivers, applications, and passive components. Glasgow, 2006, p. 1020.
- N. Femia, G. Petrone, G. Spagnuolo, and M. Vitelli, “Optimization of perturb and observe maximum power point tracking method,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 963-973, Jul. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.850975
- B. Subudhi and R. Pradhan, “A comparative study on maximum power point tracking techniques for photovoltaic power systems,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 89-98, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2012.2202294
- M. A. Elgendy, B. Zahawi, and D. J. Atkinson, “Assessment of the incremental conductance maximum power point tracking algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 108-117, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2012.2202698
- Z. Salam, J. Ahmed, and B. S. Merugu, “The application of soft computing methods for MPPT of PV system: A technological and status review,” Appl. Energy, Vol. 107, pp. 135-148, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.02.008
- D. Shmilovitz, "On the control of photovoltaic maximum power point tracker via output parameters," in Electric Power Applications, IEE Proceedings, 2005, pp. 239 - 248.
- A. Pandey, N. Dasgupta, and A. K. Mukerjee, “A simple single-sensor MPPT solution,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 698-700, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.892346
- Y. Jiang, S. Member, J. A. A. Qahouq, S.Member, and T. A. Haskew, “Adaptive step size with adaptive-perturbation- frequencydigital MPPT controller for a single-sensor photovoltaic solar system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 3195-3205, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2220158
- H.-I. Hsieh and G.-C. Hsieh, “A study of high-frequency photovoltaic pulse charger for lead-acid battery guided by PI-INC MPPT,” in 2012 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), 2012, Vol. 1, pp. 1-6.
- M. Bortolini, M. Gamberi, and A. Graziani, “Technical and economic design of photovoltaic and battery energy storage system,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 86, pp. 81-92, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.04.089
- M. Z. Daud, A. Mohamed, and M. A. Hannan, “An improved control method of battery energy storage system for hourly dispatch of photovoltaic power sources,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 73, pp. 256-270, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.04.013
- S. Park, J. Shin, J. Park, and H. Jeon, “Dynamic analysis and controller design for standalone operation of photovoltaic power conditioners with energy storage,” J. Electr. Eng. Technol., Vol. 9, pp. 742-750, 2014.
- E. Koutroulis and K. Kalaitzakis, "Novel battery charging regulation system for photovoltaic applications," in Electric Power Applications, IEE Proceedings, pp. 191-197, 2004.
- M. Bhatt, W. G. Hurley, S. Member, and W. H. Wöfle, “A new approach to intermittent charging of valve-regulated lead - acid batteries in standby applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 1337-1342, Oct. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.855665
- H. Hsieh, C. Tsai, and G. Hsieh, “Photovoltaic burp charge system on energy-saving configuration by smart charge management,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1777-1790, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2268943
- D. Fendri and M. Chaabene, “Dynamic model to follow the state of charge of a lead-acid battery connected to photovoltaic panel,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 64, pp. 587-593, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.05.027
- N. R Velaga and A. Kumar, “Techno-economic evaluation of the feasibility of a smart street light system: a case study of rural India,” Procedia - Soc. Behav. Sci., Vol. 62, pp. 1220-1224, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.208
- M. S. Wu, H. H. Huang, B. J. Huang, C. W. Tang, and C. W. Cheng, “Economic feasibility of solar-powered led roadway lighting,” Renew. Energy, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 1934-1938, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2008.12.026
- O. S. Sastry, V. Kamala Devi, P. C. Pant, G. Prasad, R. Kumar, and B. Bandyopadhyay, “Development of white LED based PV lighting systems,” Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, Vol. 94, No. 9, pp. 1430-1433, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2010.04.013
- B.-J. Huang, C.-W. Chen, P.-C. Hsu, W.-M. Tseng, and M.-S. Wu, “Direct battery-driven solar LED lighting using constant-power control,” Sol. Energy, Vol. 86, No. 11, pp. 3250-3259, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2012.07.028
- B. J. Huang, M. S. Wu, P. C. Hsu, J. W. Chen, and K. Y. Chen, “Development of high-performance solar LED lighting system,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 1669-1675, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2009.11.046
- N. a. Kelly and T. L. Gibson, “Increasing the solar photovoltaic energy capture on sunny and cloudy days,” Sol. Energy, Vol. 85, No. 1, pp. 111-125, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2010.10.015
- G. Liu, “Sustainable feasibility of solar photovoltaic powered street lighting systems,” Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 56, pp. 168-174, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.11.004
- R. Panguloori, P. Mishra, and S. Kumar, “Power distribution architectures to improve system efficiency of centralized medium scale PV street lighting system,” Sol. Energy, Vol. 97, pp. 405-413, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2013.08.034
- Single Sensor-Based MPPT of Partially Shaded PV System for Battery Charging by Using Cauchy and Gaussian Sine Cosine Optimization vol.32, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2017.2669518