- Volume 15 Issue 4
A single-stage AC-AC converter has been designed for a wind energy conversion system (WECS) that eliminates multistage operation and DC-link filter elements, thus resolving size, weight, and reliability issues. A simple switching strategy is used to control the switches that changes the variable-frequency AC output of an electrical generator to a constant-frequency supply to feed into a distributed electrical load/grid. In addition, a modified random sinusoidal pulse width modulation (RSPWM) technique has been developed for the designed converter to make the overall system more efficient by increasing generating power capacity and reducing the effects of inter-harmonics and sub-harmonics generated in the WECS. The technique uses carrier and reference waves of variable switching frequency to calculate the firing angles of the switches of the converter so that the three-phase output voltage of the converter is very close to a sine wave with reduced THD. A comparison of the performance of the proposed RSPWM technique with the conventional SPWM demonstrated that the power generated by a turbine in the proposed approximately increased by 5% to 10% and THD reduces by 40% both in voltage and current with respect to conventional SPWM.
AC-AC converter;Frequency controller;PMSG;PWM technique;Wind Energy System
- H. Cha and T.-K. Vu, "Comparative analysis of low-pass output filter for single-phase grid-connected Photovoltaic inverter," in Proc. Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1659-1665, 2010.
- C. Xia, J. Zhao, Y. Yan, and T. Shi, “A novel direct torque control of matrix converter-fed PMSM drives using duty cycle control for torque ripple reduction,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 6, pp. 2700-2713, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2276039
- R. B. Kumar and A. N. Kumar, “Performance analysis of wind turbine-driven permanent magnet generator with matrix converter,” Turkish Journal Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 299-317, May 2012.
- C. Ponmani and M. Rajaram, “Compensation strategy of matrix converter fed induction motor drive under input voltage and load disturbances using internal model control,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 43-51, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.07.031
- K. Yang, M. H. J. Bollen, E. O. A. Larsson, and M. Wahlberg, “Measurement of harmonic emission versus active power from wind turbines,” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 108, pp. 304-314, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2013.11.025
- S. T. Tentzerakis and S. A. Papathanassiou, “An investigation of the harmonic emissions of wind turbines,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 150-158, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.889607
- B. Wang and E. Sherif, “Spectral analysis of matrix converters based on 3-D fourier integral,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 19-25, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2206118
- M. E. Haque, M. Negnevitsky, and K. M. Muttaqi, “Novel control strategy for a variable-speed wind turbine with a permanent-magnet synchronous generator,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 46, No 1, pp. 331-339, Jan./Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2036550
- A. Agarwal and V. Agarwal, “FPGA based variable frequency AC to AC power conversion,” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 90, pp. 67-78, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2012.04.003
- H. J. Cha and P. N. Enjeti, “A three-phase AC/AC high-frequency link matrix converter for VSCF applications,” Power Electronics Specialist Conference, Vol. 4, pp. 1971-1976, 2003.
- M. N. Marwali, D. Min, and A. Keyhani, “Robust stability analysis of voltage and current control for distributed generation systems,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.516-526, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.860406
- I. Vechiu, O. Curea, and H. Camblong, “Transient operation of a four-leg inverter for autonomous applications with unbalanced Load,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 399-407, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2025275
- M. Singh, V. Khadkikar, A. Chandra, and R. K. Varma, “Grid interconnection of renewable energy sources at the distribution level with power-quality improvement features,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 307-315, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2081384
- R. Cardenas, R. Pena, P. Wheeler, J. Clare, and C. Juri, “Control of a matrix converter for the operation of autonomous systems,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 43, pp. 343-353, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.11.052
- J. Rodriguez, M. Rivera, J. W. Kolar, and P. W. Wheeler, “A review of control and modulation methods for matrix converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No 1, pp. 58-70, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2165310
- S. Gupta and V. Agarwal, “An efficient algorithm for single phase converter,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 138-145, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0316
- T. Senjyu, S. Tamaki, E. Muhando, N. Urasaki, H. Kinjo, and T. Funabashi, “Wind velocity and rotor position sensor less maximum power point tracking control for wind generation system,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 1764-75, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2005.09.020
- N. Singh and V. Agarwal, “A review on power quality enhanced converter of permanent magnet synchronous wind generator,” International Review of Electrical Engineering (IREE), Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 1681-1693, Nov. 2013.
- R. Melicio, V. M. F. Mendes, and J. P. S. Catalao, “Power converter topologies for wind energy conversion systems: Integrated modelling, control strategy and performance simulation,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, No. 10, pp. 2165-2174, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2010.03.009
- A. V. Santiago and I. V. Maria, “Direct connection of WECS system to the MV grid with multilevel converters,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 41, pp. 336-344, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.11.022
- N. A. Orlando, M. Liserre, V. G. Monopoli, R. A. Mastromauro, and A., DellAquila, “Comparison of power converter topologies for permanent magnet small wind turbine system,” Industrial Electronics, 2008. ISIE 2008. IEEE International Symposium on, pp.2359-2364, 2008.
- T. Ahmedy, K. Nishida, and M. Nakaoka, “Wind power grid integration of an IPMSG using a diode rectifier and a simple MPPT control for grid-side inverters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5 , pp. 548-554, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.548
- T. Friedli, J. W. Kolar, J. Rodriguez, and P. W. Wheeler, “Comparative evaluation of three-phase AC–AC Matrix converter and voltage DC-link back-to-back converter systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 12, pp. 4487-4510, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2179278
- Harmonic Reduction in Wind Power Generating System Using Shunt Active Filter with SPWM Technique vol.07, pp.04, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/cs.2016.74015
- Resonance Suppression Based on PR Control for Single-Phase Grid-Connected Inverters With Filters vol.4, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2015.2464699
- Power control in centralized distributed AC load for wind energy system vol.9, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4982956