- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Shore-to-sea Maritime Visible Light Communication using Color Clustered MIMO
컬러 클러스터 MIMO 기술을 적용한 해상 가시광 통신 시스템
- Received : 2015.05.12
- Accepted : 2015.06.22
- Published : 2015.08.31
Shore-to-sea visible light communication using color clustered multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO) is presented. The proposed maritime visible light communication (MVLC) offers a low-cost, high-speed wireless link for shore-to-sea maritime communications. Each color cluster is comprised of 50 red, green and blue (RGB) light emitting diodes (LEDs) and is modulated using on-off-keying (OOK). Selection combining is performed at the receiver, producing diversity effect within that color cluster. In this paper, we employ sea states (wave height, wind speed, etc.) data from both Pierson-Moskowitz and JONSWAP spectrum models under atmospheric turbulence conditions. Based on the simulation model, the maritime link quality is analysed in terms of coverage distance and bit error rate performance. The results show that the proposed system provides an efficient MVLC, while satisfying International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) requirements for maritime buoyage system and also offering sufficient illumination from high power LEDs.
Maritime VLC;Color clustered MIMO;Pierson-Moskowitz;JONSWAP;Atmospheric turbulence
- M. T. Zhou and H. Harada, “Cognitive maritime wireless mesh/ad hoc networks,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 35, pp. 518-526, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2010.12.018
- R. H. Stewart, Introduction to physical oceanography, Texas, US: Texas A & M university, 2004.
- K. T. Hasselman, Measurements of wind-wave growth swell decay during the Joint North Sea wave project (JONSWAP), Hamburg, Germany: Deutsches Hydrographisches Institut, 1973.
- L. Andrews, R. L. Phillips, and C. Y. Hopen, Laser Beam Scintillation with applications, Washington, US: SPIE, 2001.
- X. Zhu and J. Kahn, “Free-space optical communication through atmospheric turbulence channels,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol.50, pp. 1293-1330, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2002.800829
- S3584 series datasheet [Internet]. Available: http://www.hamamatsu.com/eu/en/product/category/3100/4001/4103/S3584-08/index.html
- IALA-AISM. Maritime buoyage system and other aids to navigation [Internet]. Available: http://www.cil.ie/media/11141 /IALA-MBS.pdf.
- A. Sewaiwar, S. V. Tiwari, and Y. H. Chung, “Novel user allocation scheme for full duplex multiuser bidirectional Li-Fi network,” Optics Communications, vol. 339, pp. 153-156, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2014.11.076
- S. V. Tiwari, A. Sewaiwar, and Y. H. Chung, “Color coded multiple access scheme for bidirectional multiuser visible light communications in smart home technologies,” Optics Communications, vol. 353, pp.1-5, October. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2015.05.012
- VLCC. Lighthouse sub project [Internet]. Available: http://www.vlcc.net/.
- H. J. Kim, A. Sewaiwar, and Y. H. Chung, “Shore-to-Sea Maritime Communication with Visible Light Transmission,” Recent Advances in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, no. 39, pp. 68-71, Sep. 2014.
- H. J. Kim, A. Sewaiwar, and Y. H. Chung, “Maritime Visible Light Communication with Sea Spectrum Models,” International Journal of Communications, vol. 9, pp. 73-76, 2015.
- P. P. Han, A. Sewaiwar, S. V. Tiwari, and Y. H. Chung, “Color-clustered multiple-input multiple-output visible light communication,” Journal of the Optical Society of Korea, vol. 19, pp. 74-79, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2015.19.1.074