- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Performance of a Beamforming based RFID System for Velocity Estimation
속도 추정용 빔포밍 기반 RFID 시스템 성능 분석
Jeon, Seong-ha;Jeon, Hyeon-mu;Yang, Hoon-gee
- Received : 2015.05.06
- Accepted : 2015.06.15
- Published : 2015.08.31
RFID based applications that combine radar techniques to obtain the location and the ID of a tag have widely been investigated. In this paper, we analyze a recently proposed RFID system that can extract the tag IDs and their velocities using signals transmitted from the tag attached moving objects and verify its performance. In the proposed system, a beacon transmits triggering signal at regular intervals into a monitoring area and the tag receiving the triggering signal backscatters the FMCW(frequency modulation continuous wave) signal modulated by the tag ID. The reader system demodulates this FMCW signal using predefined two reference signals to obtain not only the tag ID but its velocity. In this paper, we show that the proposed system works properly and analyze the degree of performance degradation in cases when the synchronization error between the transmitting signal and the reference signal occurs, and even when sampling rate is lowered for implementation purpose. Finally, the analytical results are verified by simulation.
- J. Li, S. Petre, Z. Wang, “On Robust Capon Beamforming and Diagonal Loading,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1702–1715, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2003.812831
- Joon Hyung Yi, Inbook Lee, Shbat, M. S. Tuzlukov, V. "24GHz FMCW radar sensor algorithms for car applications," Radar Symposium (IRS), 2011 Proceedings International, pp. 465-470, Sept. 2011.
- C. Carlowitz, A. Strobel, T. Schafer, F. Ellinger, M. Vossiek, "A mm-wave RFID system with locatable active backscatter tag", 2012 IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), pp. 1-4, Nov. 2012.
- M. Fujimoto, N. Uchitomi, A. Inada, T. Wada, K. Mutsuura, H. Okada, "A novel method for position estimation of passive RFID tags; Swift Communication Range Recognition(S-CRR) method", 2010 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conforence, pp. 1-6, Dec. 2010.
- S. Kunkel, R. Bieber, H. Ming-Shih, M. Vossiek, "A concept for infrastructure independent localization and augmented reality visualization of RFID tags", IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop on Wireless Sensing, Local Positioning, and RFID, 2009.
- H. A. Rahim, R. B. Ahmad, A. S. M. Zain, U. U. Sheikh, "An adapted point based tracking for vehicle speed estimation in linear spacing", 2010 International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering (ICCCE), pp. 1-4, May. 2010.
- Ussmueller, T., Brenk, D., Essel, J., Heidrich, J., Fischer, G., Weigel, R., "Roundtrip-Time-of-Flight based localization of passive multi-standard RFID-tags" 2012 IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), pp. 1-4, Nov. 2012.
- J. Zhou, H. Zhang, and L. Mo, "Two-dimension localization of passive RFID tags using AOA estimation," in Proc. IEEE Instrum, Meas. Technol. Conf., pp. 1-5, 2011.
- Seong-ha Jeon, Hyeon-moo Jeon, Seong-gwan Shin, Chae-bong Sohn, Hoon-gee Yang. “Beamforming based RFID System for Moving Target Tagging,” J. Korea Inst. Inf. Commun. Eng, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1713-1720, July. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2014.18.7.1713
- J. Capon, “High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis,” Proc. IEEE, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1408–1418, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1969.7278