- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Cognitive Functions in Childen and Adolescents : A Review
유산소 운동이 소아 및 청소년의 인지기능에 미치는 영향 : 문헌고찰
- Received : 2015.04.21
- Accepted : 2015.06.09
- Published : 2015.09.30
The purpose of this review was to investigate the relationship between aerobic exercise and cognitive function as well as synthesize the effect of aerobic exercise intervention studies centered on psychiatric symptoms associated with general cognitive deficit. Prospective studies on aerobic exercise and improvement of cognitive function were reviewed and synthesized. In addition, this literature review provides significant positive results on the relationship between aerobic exercise and general cognitive deficit associated with psychiatric symptoms. Review of this literature suggests that there is a positive relationship between participation in aerobic exercise and cognitive function. In this text, there are at least three general pathways by which aerobic exercise may facilitate executive function in children : 1) cognitive demands inherent in engaging in physical activity, 2) cognitive demands inherent in cooperation of complex motor tasks, and 3) physiological changes resulting from aerobic exercise. Another main finding of this review is that physical activity has a stronger influence on cognitive deficit, including attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, depression, and anxiety. Development of cognitive function is the most important factor for children and youth. Therefore, future research should prove relationship between physical activity and cognitive function using a more scientific and quantitative approach design.
Physical Activity;Aerobic Exercise;Cognitive Function;Children and Youth
- Petrovitch H, White L. Exercise and cognitive function. Lancet Neurol 2005;4:690-691. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(05)70203-9
- Caspersen CJ, Powell KE, Christenson GM. Physical activity, exercise, and physical fitness: definitions and distinctions for healthrelated research. Public Health Rep 1985;100:126-131.
- Chu DC, Fox KR, Chen LJ, Ku PW. Components of late-life exercise and cognitive function: an 8-year longitudinal study. Prev Sci 2015;16:568-577. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-014-0509-8
- Ellemberg D, St-Louis-Deschênes S. The effect of acute physical exercise on cognitive function during development. Psychol Sport Exerc 2010;11:122-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2009.09.006
- Hawley JA, Hargreaves M, Joyner MJ, Zierath JR. Integrative biology of exercise. Cell 2014;159:738-749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2014.10.029
- Luria A. The working brain. New York: Basic Books;1973. p.192.
- Murray R, Huelskoetter MM, O'Driscoll D. The nursing process in later maturity. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall;1980.
- Tomporowski PD, Ellis NR. Effects of exercise on cognitive processes:a review. Psychol Bull 1986;99:338-346. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.99.3.338
- Colcombe S, Kramer AF. Fitness effects on the cognitive function of older adults: a meta-analytic study. Psychol Sci 2003;14:125-130. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9280.t01-1-01430
- Sibley BA, Etnier JL. The relationship between physical activity and cognition in children: a meta analysis. Pediatr Exerc Sci 2003;15:243-256. https://doi.org/10.1123/pes.15.3.243
- Etnier JL, Salazar W, Landers DM, Petruzzello SJ, Han M, Nowell P. The influence of physical fitness and exercise upon cognition functioning:a meta-analysis. J Sport Exerc Psychol 1997;19:249-277. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.19.3.249
- Guthold R, Cowan MJ, Autenrieth CS, Kann L, Riley LM. Physical activity and sedentary behavior among schoolchildren: a 34-country comparison. J Pediatr 2010;157:43-49.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2010.01.019
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Trends of Health Risk Behaviors among Korean Adolescents Over the past 10 years; 2014 [cited 2014 Oct 22]. Available from URL: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=15&CONT_SEQ=306050
- Han SJ, Moo SH. Cardiorespiratory Fitness is Associated with Depression Symptom, Blood BDNF, and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor in Female Obese Adolescents. J Korean Soc Meas Eval Phys Educ Sports Sci 2011;13:105-113.
- Castellanos FX, Sonuga-Barke EJ, Milham MP, Tannock R. Characterizing cognition in ADHD: beyond executive dysfunction. Trends Cogn Sci 2006;10:117-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tics.2006.01.011
- Austin MP, Ross M, Murray C, O'Carroll RE, Ebmeier KP, Goodwin GM. Cognitive function in major depression. J Affect Disord 1992;25:21-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0327(92)90089-O
- Bishop S, Duncan J, Brett M, Lawrence AD. Prefrontal cortical function and anxiety: controlling attention to threat-related stimuli. Nat Neurosci 2004;7:184-188. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn1173
- Larson EB, Wang L, Bowen JD, McCormick WC, Teri L, Crane P, et al. Exercise is associated with reduced risk for incident dementia among persons 65 years of age and older. Ann Intern Med 2006;144:73-81. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-144-2-200601170-00004
- Booth FW, Chakravarthy MV. Cost and consequences of sedentary living: new battleground for an old enemy. Washington, DC:President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports;2002
- Baker LD, Frank LL, Foster-Schubert K, Green PS, Wilkinson CW, McTiernan A, et al. Effects of aerobic exercise on mild cognitive impairment: a controlled trial. Arch Neurol 2010;67:71-79.
- Colcombe SJ, Erickson KI, Scalf PE, Kim JS, Prakash R, McAuley E, et al. Aerobic exercise training increases brain volume in aging humans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2006;61:1166-1170. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/61.11.1166
- Dustman RE, Ruhling RO, Russell EM, Shearer DE, Bonekat HW, Shigeoka JW, et al. Aerobic exercise training and improved neuropsychological function of older individuals. Neurobiol Aging 1984;5:35-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-4580(84)90083-6
- Erickson KI, Kramer AF. Aerobic exercise effects on cognitive and neural plasticity in older adults. Br J Sports Med 2009;43:22-24.
- Woo MJ. The relationship between exercise and cognition: Literature review of brain studies. Korean J Phys Educ 2010;49:133-146.
- Cotman CW, Berchtold NC, Christie LA. Exercise builds brain health: key roles of growth factor cascades and inflammation. Trends Neurosci 2007;30:464-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tins.2007.06.011
- Kim YS. The Effect of Cognitive Ability and Self - Esteem on Regular Exercise in the Elderly. Korean J Phys Educ 2001;40:181-193.
- Lee KM, Choi JH, Kim HJ. The Effect of Regular Exercise Training on Cognitive Function in the Elderly Women. Korean J Growth Dev 2002;10:81-90.
- Shon JH, Yoo HS. Effects of Chronic Combined Exercise on Cognitive Function and Depression in Elderly Women. Korean Soc Sport Psychol 2010;21:183-195.
- Barkley RA, Grodzinsky G, DuPaul GJ. Frontal lobe functions in attention deficit disorder with and without hyperactivity: a review and research report. J Abnorm Child Psychol 1992;20:163-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00916547
- Isquith PK, Crawford JS, Espy KA, Gioia GA. Assessment of executive function in preschool-aged children. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 2005;11:209-215. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrdd.20075
- Tranel D, Anderson SW, Benton AL. Development of the concept of 'executive function' and its relationship to the frontal lobes. In:Boller F, Grafman J, editors. Handbook of neuropsychology. Amsterdam:Elsevier Science;1994. p.125-148.
- Kim HG. Clinical Evaluation of the Frontal Lobe Syndrome Using Kims Frontal-Executive Neuropsychological Test. Korean J Rehabil Psychol 2001;8:173-190.
- Blumenthal JA, Emery CF, Madden DJ, George LK, Coleman RE, Riddle MW, et al. Cardiovascular and behavioral effects of aerobic exercise training in healthy older men and women. J Gerontol 1989;44:M147-M157.
- Macko RF, DeSouza CA, Tretter LD, Silver KH, Smith GV, Anderson PA, et al. Treadmill aerobic exercise training reduces the energy expenditure and cardiovascular demands of hemiparetic gait in chronic stroke patients. A preliminary report. Stroke 1997;28:326-330. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.28.2.326
- Tuckman BW, Hinkle JS. An experimental study of the physical and psychological effects of aerobic exercise on schoolchildren. Health Psychol 1986;5:197-207. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.199
- Hinkle JS, Tuckman BW, Sampson JP. The psychology, physiology, and the creativity of middle school aerobic exercisers. Elem Sch Guid Couns 1993;28:133-145.
- Caterino MC, Polak ED. Effects of two types of activity on the performance of second-, third-, and fourth-grade students on a test of concentration. Percept Mot Skills 1999;89:245-248. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19188.8.131.52
- Tomporowski PD, Davis CL, Lambourne K, Gregoski M, Tkacz J. Task switching in overweight children: effects of acute exercise and age. J Sport Exerc Psychol 2008;30:497-511. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.30.5.497
- Chen AG, Yan J, Yin HC, Pan CY, Chang YK. Effects of acute aerobic exercise on multiple aspects of executive function in preadolescent children. Psychol Sport Exerc 2014;15:627-636. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2014.06.004
- Budde H, Voelcker-Rehage C, Pietrabyk-Kendziorra S, Ribeiro P, Tidow G. Acute coordinative exercise improves attentional performance in adolescents. Neurosci Lett 2008;441:219-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2008.06.024
- Pontifex MB, Saliba BJ, Raine LB, Picchietti DL, Hillman CH. Exercise improves behavioral, neurocognitive, and scholastic performance in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Pediatr 2013;162:543-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.08.036
- Best JR. Effects of Physical Activity on Children's Executive Function: Contributions of Experimental Research on Aerobic Exercise. Dev Rev 2010;30:331-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dr.2010.08.001
- Rueda MR, Rothbart MK, McCandliss BD, Saccomanno L, Posner MI. Training, maturation, and genetic influences on the development of executive attention. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2005;102:14931-14936. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0506897102
- Diamond A. All or none hypothesis: a global-default mode that characterizes the brain and mind. Dev Psychol 2009;45:130-138. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014025
- Fontani G, Lodi L, Felici A, Migliorini S, Corradeschi F. Attention in athletes of high and low experience engaged in different open skill sports. Percept Mot Skills 2006;102:791-805. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.102.3.791-805
Supported by : 보건복지부