- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Validation Study of the Korean Version of Social Communication Questionnaire
한국어판 사회적 의사소통 설문지 타당화 연구
- Kim, Joo-Hyun ;
- Sunwoo, Hyun-Jung ;
- Park, Su-Bin ;
- Noh, Dong-Hyun ;
- Jung, Yeon Kyung ;
- Cho, In-Hee ;
- Cho, Soo-Churl ;
- Kim, Bung-Nyun ;
- Shin, Min-Sup ;
- Kim, Jae-Won ;
- Park, Tae-Won ;
- Son, Jung-Woo ;
- Chung, Un-Sun ;
- Yoo, Hee Jeong
- Received : 2015.06.19
- Accepted : 2015.08.25
- Published : 2015.09.30
Objectives : The purposes of this study were to examine the reliability and validity of the Korean version of Social Communication Questionnaire (K-SCQ) and to determine cut-off scores for diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Methods : A total of 166 subjects with ASD and their 186 unaffected siblings were recruited through child psychiatry clinics of university hospitals. Board certified child psychiatrists screened all probands suspected to have ASD based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition. To confirm the diagnoses, the Korean versions of the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule and the Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (K-ADI-R) were administered to all the subjects. All parents completed the K-SCQ and Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS). The non-ASD siblings were evaluated with the same instruments as the probands with ASD. We performed a factor analysis to examine the structure of K-SCQ. For testing the validity of K-SCQ, we compared the difference in Lifetime and Current scores of probands with ASD and their non-ASD siblings using t-test and analysis of covariance. Correlations between the K-SCQ and other measurements of ASD symptomatology, including K-ADI-R totals and domain scores and SRS, were examined. Receiver operation characteristic curve analysis was performed to extract cutoff scores discriminating affection status. Results : Four factors were extracted through factor analysis of K-SCQ ; 1) social relation and play, 2) stereotyped behavior, 3) social behavior, and 4) abnormal language. Cronbach's internal consistency was .95 in K-SCQ Lifetime, and .93 in K-SCQ Current. There were significant differences in total score of K-SCQ, both in Lifetime and Current between the ASD group and non-ASD siblings group (p<.05). K-SCQ scores were significantly correlated with K-ADI-R subdomain scores and SRS total scores (p<.05). The best-estimate cut-off scores of K-SCQ for diagnosis of ASD were 12 for 48 months and over, and 10 for below 47 months. Conclusion : Our findings suggest that the K-SCQ is a reliable and valid instrument for screening autistic symptoms in the Korean population. Lower cut-off scores than the original English version might be considered when using it as a screening instrument of ASD.
Autism Spectrum Disorder;Social Communication Questionnaire;ROC Curve Analysis
- Statistics Korea. The number of registered disabled persons;2007-2014 [cited 2015 May 7]. Available from URL: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=117&tblId=DT_11761_N005&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=101_11761&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=E1 [2015 January 20]
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing;2013.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association;2000.
- Harris SL, Handleman JS. Age and IQ at intake as predictors of placement for young children with autism: a four- to six-year follow-up. J Autism Dev Disord 2000;30:137-142. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005459606120
- Lord C, Rutter M, DiLavore PC, Risi S. Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services;2002.
- Rutter M, LeCouteur A, Lord C. Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services;2003.
- Schopler E, Reichler RJ, Renner BR. The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services;1988.
- Kim TL, Park RG. Manual for the Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Seoul: Special Education;1996.
- Shin MS, Kim YH. Standardization Study for the Korean Version of Childhood Autism Rating Scale: Reliability, Validity and Cut-Off Score. Korean J Clin Psychol 1998;17:1-15.
- Rutter, M, Bailey A, Lord C. Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services;2003.
- Witwer AN, Lecavalier L. Autism screening tools: an evaluation of the Social Communication Questionnaire and the Developmental Behaviour Checklist-Autism Screening Algorithm. J Intellect Dev Disabil 2007;32:179-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/13668250701604776
- Charman T, Baird G, Simonoff E, Loucas T, Chandler S, Meldrum D, et al. Efficacy of three screening instruments in the identification of autistic-spectrum disorders. Br J Psychiatry 2007;191:554-559. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.107.040196
- Allen CW, Silove N, Williams K, Hutchins P. Validity of the social communication questionnaire in assessing risk of autism in preschool children with developmental problems. J Autism Dev Disord 2007;37:1272-1278. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-006-0279-7
- Brooks WT, Benson BA. The validity of the social communication questionnaire in adults with intellectual disability. Res Autism Spectr Disord 2013;7:247-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2012.10.002
- Howlin P, Karpf J. Using the social communication questionnaire to identify ‘autistic spectrum’ disorders associated with other genetic conditions: findings from a study of individuals with Cohen syndrome. Autism 2004;8:175-182. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361304042721
- Schwenck C, Freitag CM. Differentiation between attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and autism spectrum disorder by the social communication questionnaire. Atten Defic Hyperact Disord 2014;6:221-229. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12402-014-0147-9
- Corsello C, Hus V, Pickles A, Risi S, Cook EH Jr, Leventhal BL, et al. Between a ROC and a hard place: decision making and making decisions about using the SCQ. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2007;48:932-940. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01762.x
- Yoo HJ. Korean version of Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ). Seoul: Hakjisa;2008.
- Lee SH, Kim SK, Kim JY. Brief Screening for Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Community-based Daycare Centers. Spec Educ 2014;13:99-117. https://doi.org/10.18541/ser.2014.10.13.3.99
- Snow AV, Lecavalier L. Sensitivity and specificity of the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers and the Social Communication Questionnaire in preschoolers suspected of having pervasive developmental disorders. Focus Autism Other Dev Disabl Autism 2008;12:627-644.
- Wiggins LD, Bakeman R, Adamson LB, Robins DL. The Utility of the Social Communication Questionnaire in Screening for Autism in Children Referred for Early Intervention. Focus Autism Other Dev Disabl Spring 2007;22:33-38. https://doi.org/10.1177/10883576070220010401
- Constantino JN, Gruber CP. Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS) manual. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services;2005.
- Yoo HJ. Korean version of Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R). Seoul: Hakjisa;2007.
- Kim JH, Shin MS. A study of reliability & validity for the Korean version of Asperger Syndrome Diagnostic Scale. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2005;16:98-105.
- Yoo HJ, Kwak Y. Korean Version of Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS). Seoul: Hakjisa;2007.
- Shin MS, Cho SC. Korean Version of Leiter International Performance Scale. Seoul: Hakjisa;2009.
- Kaufman J, Birmaher B, Brent D, Rao U, Flynn C, Moreci P, et al. Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children-Present and Lifetime Version (K-SADS-PL): initial reliability and validity data. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1997;36:980-988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199707000-00021
- Berument SK, Rutter M, Lord C, Pickles A, Bailey A. Autism screening questionnaire: diagnostic validity. Br J Psychiatry 1999;175:444-451. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.175.5.444
- Constantino JN, Davis SA, Todd RD, Schindler MK, Gross MM, Brophy SL, et al. Validation of a brief quantitative measure of autistic traits: comparison of the social responsiveness scale with the autism diagnostic interview-revised. J Autism Dev Disord 2003; 33:427-433. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025014929212
- World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision Version for 2006. Geneva: World Health Organization;1992.
- Roid GH, Miller LJ, Pomplun M, Koch C. Leiter International Performance Scale. 3th ed. Wood Dale: Stoelting Co.;2013.
- Lord C, Rutter M, Le Couteur A. Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: a revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 1994;24:659-685. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02172145
- Charman T, Taylor E, Drew A, Cockerill H, Brown JA, Baird G. Outcome at 7 years of children diagnosed with autism at age 2: predictive validity of assessments conducted at 2 and 3 years of age and pattern of symptom change over time. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2005;46:500-513. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2004.00377.x
- Oosterling I, Rommelse N, de Jonge M, van der Gaag RJ, Swinkels S, Roos S, et al. How useful is the Social Communication Questionnaire in toddlers at risk of autism spectrum disorder? J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2010;51:1260-1268. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2010.02246.x
- Eaves LC, Wingert HD, Ho HH, Mickelson EC. Screening for autism spectrum disorders with the social communication questionnaire. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2006;27(2 Suppl):S95-S103. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004703-200604002-00007
- Lord C, Risi S, DiLavore PS, Shulman C, Thurm A, Pickles A. Autism from 2 to 9 years of age. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2006;63:694-701. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.63.6.694
- A Study on Practitioner’s Perceptions on Early Screening of Autism Spectrum Disorder vol.28, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2017.28.2.96
- Prenatal and postnatal bisphenol A exposure and social impairment in 4-year-old children vol.16, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12940-017-0289-2
- Reliability and Validity of the Korean Translation of Quantitative Checklist for Autism in Toddlers: A Preliminary Study vol.29, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2018.29.2.80
Supported by : 한국보건산업진흥원