- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Efficacy of a Day-Hospital Treatment Program for Child with Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Mental Retardation : A Retrospective Study
발달장애 아동을 대상으로 한 어린이 낮병원 프로그램의 효과에 대한 후향적 분석
- Received : 2015.04.11
- Accepted : 2015.09.06
- Published : 2015.09.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to investigate the effectiveness of a day-hospital treatment program designed to help development of children with pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) and mental retardation (MR). Methods : Retrospective review of the charts of 32 children (28 with PDD, 4 with MR), who participated in a day-hospital treatment program of Seoul Metropolitan Eunpyeong Hospital, from October 2008 to February 2012, was conducted. Development level of each patient was evaluated according to the Psycho-Educational Profile-Revised (PEP-R), Social Maturity Scale (SMS), and Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Evaluation was done at two points, before participation and after 1 year participation. Results : Children who participated in the day-hospital treatment program showed significant improvement in all categories of PEP-R, SMS, and CARS. Conclusion : Day-hospital treatment program is effective for helping development of children with PDD and MR.
Pervasive Developmental Disorder;Mental Retardation;Day-Hospital Treatment Program
- Hong KE. Developmental perspective. In: Hong KE, editor. Korean Text of Child Psychiatry. Seoul: Hakjisa;2014. p.17.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association;2000.
- Abrahams BS, Geschwind DH. Advances in autism genetics: on the threshold of a new neurobiology. Nat Rev Genet 2008;9:341-355. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg2346
- Hong KE. Autism Spectrum Disorder. In: Hong KE, editor. Korean Text of Child Psychiatry. Seoul: Hakjisa;2014. p.149.
- Sigman M, Ungerer JA, Mundy P, Sherman T. Cognition in autistic children. Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders 1987;103-120.
- Baron-Cohen S, Leslie AM, Frith U. Does the autistic child have a "theory of mind"? Cognition 1985;21:37-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0277(85)90022-8
- Dawson G, McKissick FC. Self-recognition in autistic children. J Autism Dev Disord 1984;14:383-394. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02409829
- Hong KE. Autism Spectrum Disorder. In: Hong KE, editor. Korean Text of Child Psychiatry. Seoul: Hakjisa;2014. p.152.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association;2013.
- Croen LA, Grether JK, Selvin S. The epidemiology of mental retardation of unknown cause. Pediatrics 2001;107:E86. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.107.6.e86
- Corsello CM. Early intervention in autism. Infants Young Child 2005;18:74-85. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001163-200504000-00002
- Zeanah CH, Boris NW, Larrieu JA. Infant development and developmental risk: a review of the past 10 years. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1997;36:165-178. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199702000-00007
- Rogers SJ, Lewis H. An effective day treatment model for young children with pervasive developmental disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1989;28:207-214. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-198903000-00010
- Venter A, Lord C, Schopler E. A follow-up study of high-functioning autistic children. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1992;33:489-507. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1992.tb00887.x
- Crane JL, Winsler A. Early autism detection: implications for pediatric practice and public policy. J Disabil Policy Stud 2000;18: 245-253.
- Kim YS, Leventhal BL, Koh YJ, Fombonne E, Laska E, Lim EC, et al. Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders in a total population sample. Am J Psychiatry 2011;168:904-912. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.10101532
- Kwak YS, Kang GM, Lee HS. The treament results of a day treatment program for children with developmental disorders. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2000;11:100-109.
- Kang HY, Lee MS. Efficacy of a Day-Center Treatment Program for Children with Developmental Disorders. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2012;23:188-195. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2012.23.4.188
- Chlebowski C, Green JA, Barton ML, Fein D. Using the childhood autism rating scale to diagnose autism spectrum disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 2010;40:787-799. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-009-0926-x
- Kim YT, Sung TJ, Lee YK. Language Development Scale of Preschool Child' Comprehension language and Expression language. Seoul: The Handicapped Center;2003.
- Kim SK, Kim OK. Korean Vineland Social Maturity Scale. Seoul: ChungAng Jeokseong Press;2002.
- Schopler E, Van Bourgondien ME, Wellman GJ, Love SR. The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS2). 2nd ed. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services;2010.
- Shin MS, Kim YH. Standardization Study for the Korean Version of Childhood Autism Rating Scale: reliability, validity and cut-off score. Korean J Clin Psychol 1998;17:1-15.
- Vrono MSh, Bashina VM. [Problem of adaptation of patients with the syndrome of early childhood autism]. Zh Nevropatol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 1987;87:1511-1516.
- Jocelyn LJ, Casiro OG, Beattie D, Bow J, Kneisz J. Treatment of children with autism: a randomized controlled trial to evaluate a caregiver-based intervention program in community day-care centers. J Dev Behav Pediatr 1998;19:326-334. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004703-199810000-00002