- Volume 36 Issue 5
Exploring the Impact of a STEM Integration Teacher Professional Development Program on Secondary Science and Mathematics Teachers' Perceptions of Engineering and Their Attitude toward Engineering Integrated Teaching
DOI QR Code
Wang, Hui-Hui;Nam, Younkyeong
- 투고 : 2015.07.22
- 심사 : 2015.09.25
- 발행 : 2015.09.30
This study explores the impact of a STEM integration teacher professional development program focusing on teachers' perception of engineering and their attitudes toward integrating engineering into teaching. A total of sixty-eight teachers from ten schools participated in the program for five days. Data are collected from three main sources including (1) pre and post concept maps probing teachers' perceptions about the engineering discipline, (2) a pre and post survey measuring teachers' self-efficacy of teaching science/mathematics within the engineering context, and (3) engineering integrated science and (or) mathematics lesson plans and teaching reflections. This study utilizes both qualitative and quantitative research methods depending on the data we have collected. The results show that both science and math teachers thought that integrating engineering into teaching provided valuable outcomes, i.e., promoting students' learning about engineering and improving their interest in science or math through real-world problem solving exercises. Participants also felt more comfortable about integrating engineering in their teaching after the program. The results also imply that the teachers' understandings of engineering become more concrete after the program. This study also provides an overview of the challenges and advantages of teaching engineering in K-12 science and mathematics classrooms.
engineering education;teacher professional development;STEM education
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), 2010, Criteria for accrediting engineering programs. Baltimore, MD, ABET, Inc. Available online at http://www.abet.org/Linked%20Documents-UPDATE/Program%20Docs/abet-eac-criteria-2011-2012.pdf. Last retrieve at Nov. 2014.
- Akins, L. and Burghardt, D., 2006, Work in progress:Improving K-12 mathematics understanding with engineering design projects. in Frontiers in education conference, New York. New York: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineerings. 13-14.
- Bae, S.A. and Geum, Y.C., 2009, Development model of activity-centered STEM education program in industrial and technical high school. Korea Home and Career Education Journal, 15, 345-368. (in Korean)
- Baek, Y.S., Park, H.J., Kim Y., Noh, S. G., Park, J.Y., Lee, J., Jeong, J.S., Choi, Y., and Han, H., 2011, STEAM education in Korea. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 11, 149-171. (in Korean)
- Brophy, S., Klein, S., Portsmore, M., and Rogers, C., 2008, Advancing engineering education in P-12 classroom. Journal of Engineering Education, 97, 369-387. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2008.tb00985.x
- Cantrell, P., Pekcan, G., Itani, A., and Velasquez-Bryant, N., 2006. The effect of engineering modules on student learning in middle school science classroom. Journal of Engineering Education, 95, 301-309. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2006.tb00905.x
- Carr, R.L., Bennett, L.D. IV, and Strobel, J., 2012, Engineering in the K-12 STEM standards of the 50 U.S. states: An analysis of presence and extent. Journal of Engineering Education, 101, 539-564. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2012.tb00061.x
- Cunningham, C. and Knight, M., 2004, Draw an engineering test: Development of a tool to investigate students' ideas about engineers and engineering. Paper presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Salt Lake City, Utah, June 20-23. Available online at http://soa.asee.org/paper/conference/paper-view.cfm?id=19444
- Cunningham, C., 2008, Elementary teacher professional development in engineering: Lessons learned from Engineering is Elementary. Paper presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Douglas, J., Iversen, E., and Kalyandurg, C., 2004, Engineering in the K-12 classroom: An analysis of current practices and guidelines for the future. The American Society for Engineering Education, Washington, DC, USA, Available online at http://www.engineeringk12.org/Engineering_in_the_K-12_Classroom.pdf
- Erwin, B., 1998, K-12 education and systems engineering:A new perspective. Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education National Conference, Session 1280: p6, Seattle, WA
- Foutus, D., Dershimer, R.C., Krajcik, J.S., Marx, R.W., and Mamlok-Naaman R., 2004, Design-based science and student learning. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41, 1081-1110. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20040
- Guzey, S.S., Tank, K., Wang, H.H., Roehrig, G., and Moore, T. 2014, A highquality professional development for teachers of grades 3-6 for implementing engineering into classrooms. School Science and Mathematics, 114, 139-149. https://doi.org/10.1111/ssm.12061
- Katehi, L., Pearson G., and Feder, M., 2009, Engineering in K-12 education: Understanding the status and improving the prospects, National Academy of Engineering and National Research Council. Washington, DC, USA, 234 p.
- Kim, B. and Kim, J. 2014, Analysis of articles related STEAM education using network text analysis method. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 33, 674-682. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.4.674
- Kinchin, I.M., Hay, D.B., and Adams, A., 2000, How a qualitative approach to concept map analysis can be used to aid learning by illustrating patterns of conceptual development. Educational research, 42, 43-57. https://doi.org/10.1080/001318800363908
- Kwak, Y., 2002, Relationship between preservice science teachers' relativist epistemology and their pedagogical beliefs, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 23, 221-233. (in Korean)
- Lesh, R. and Doerr, H. (Eds.), 2003, Beyond constructivism: Models and modeling perspectives on mathematics problem solving, learning, and teaching, Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 597 p.
- Lewis, T., 2006, Design and inquiry: Bases for an accommodation between science and technology education in the curriculum? Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43, 255-281. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20111
- Lim, C.H., 2003, Science teaching practices and science teaching efficacy beliefs by development of elementary school teachers' pedagogical content knowledge, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 24, 258-272. (in Korean)
- Minnesota academic standards: Science K-12., 2009, Retrieved from http://education.state.mn.us/mdeprod/groups/Standards/documents/Publication/013906.pdf
- National Governors Association., 2007, Innovation America: Building a science, technology, engineering and math agenda. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Washington, DC, USA, 32 p.
- Oware, E., Capobianco, B., and Diefes-Dux, H., 2007, Gifted students' perceptions of engineers? A study of students in a summer outreach program. Paper presented at the American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Honolulu, Hawaii, June, 24-27. Available online at http://soa.asee.org/paper/conference/paper-view.cfm?id=5401
- Peterson, C.R., 1990, The desegregation of design. Engineering Education, 80, 530-532.
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (US), 2010, Prepare and Inspire: K-12 Education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) for America's Future: Executive Report. Executive Office of the President, President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, Washington, DC, USA, 108 p.
- Roehrig, G.H., Moore, T.J., Wang, H.-H., and Park, M.S., 2012, Is adding the E enough?: Investigating the impact of K-12 engineering standards on the implementation of STEM integration. School Science and Mathematics, 112, 31-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.2011.00112.x
- Roth, W.M., 2001, Learning science through technological design. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 38, 768-790. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.1031
- Son, J.H., Kim, J., and Kim Y.J., 2014, Effects of astronomical STEAM program using co-teaching on self-directed learning attitude of elementary science gifted students, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 35, 572584,
- Thornburg, D., 2009, Hands and minds: Why engineering is the glue holding STEM together. Thornburg Center for Space Exploration. Retrieved from http://www.tcsek12.org/pages/hands.pdf.
- Ver Planck, D.W., 1958, Engineering analysis and design. The Engineering Science, Report of the Follow-up Committee (ad hoc) on Evaluation of Engineering Education, ASEE, Washington, D.C.
- Wang, H.H., Moore, T.J., Roehrig, G.H., and Park, M.S. (2011). STEM integration: teacher perceptions and practice. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research (J-PEER), 1, 1-13. DOI: 10.5703/1288284314636 https://doi.org/10.5703/1288284314636
- 1. Analysis of STEM Activities in Primary Students’ Science Projects in an Informal Learning Environment pp.1573-1774, 2017, doi:10.5467/JKESS.2015.36.5.484