- Volume 42 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Investigation on changes in pig farm productivity after ban of antibiotics growth promoter in commercial mixed feed
배합사료 내 항생제 사용금지 이후 양돈농가 생산성적 변화 조사
- Kim, Ki-Hyun ;
- Cho, Eun-Seok ;
- Kim, Kwang-Sik ;
- Kim, Jo-Eun ;
- Seol, Kuk-Hwan ;
- Park, Jun-Cheol ;
- Kim, Young-Hwa
- Received : 2015.07.10
- Accepted : 2015.08.20
- Published : 2015.09.30
This study was conducted to investigate the changes in the pig productivity after ban of antibiotics growth promoter in commercial pig farms. A total 74 pig farms that herd size is from less than 100 sows to more than 500 sows were selected for survey. Changes of pig productivity before/after ban of antibiotics were analyzed by comparing with our survey results and report of KPPA (Korean Pork Producers Association, 2013). In the results, no difference on pig productivity was observed by herd size among our survey farms. Live born piglets have been raised as time passes since 2003, and then it reach to 10.6 head per sow in 2012. The numbers of weaning piglet tended to increase, but sow turnover ratio was found to be a tendency to decrease after ban of antibiotics in our survey results. There was no effect of using antibiotics on mortality of pre- and post- weaning. Marketing per sow per year (MSY) does not be improved because the post-weaning mortality was maintained at a high level, despite live pig born and weaning piglet have increased after 2003. In conclusion, a ban of antibiotics growth promoter does not directly affect to pig productivity, but it needs the efforts to reduce the mortality of post-weaning for improvement of pig productivity. We suggest that this data will be useful to swine industry as the fundamental information.
- Chantziaras I, Boyen F, Callens B, Dewulf J. 2013. Correlation between veterinary antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance in food-producing animals: a report on seven countries. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 69:827-834.
- Che TM, Perez VG, Song M, Pettigrew JE. 2012. Effect of rice and other cereal grains on growth performance, pig removal, and antibiotic treatment of weaned pigs under commercial conditions. Journal of Animal Science 90:4916-4924. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4916
- Dean BT, Tribble LF. 1962. Effect of feeding therapeutic levels of antibiotics at breeding on reproductive performance of swine. Journal of Animal Science 21:207-209. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1962.212207x
- Dibner JJ, Richards JD. 2005. Antibiotic growth promoters in agriculture: History and mode of action. Poultry Science 84:634-643. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.4.634
- Dixon B. 2000. Antibiotics as growth promoters: Risks and alternatives. American Society for Microbiology News. 66: 264-265.
- Hays WV, Krug JL, Cromwell GL, Dutt RH, Kratzer DD. 1978. Effect of lactation length and dietary antibiotics on reproductive performance of sows. Journal of Animal Science. 46:884-891. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.464884x
- Jensen AH, Aker DC, Maddock HM, Ashton GC, Homeyer PG, Heady EO, Catron DV. 1955. Different protein levels with and without antibiotics for growing-finishing swine: effect on growth rate and feed efficiency. Journal of Animal Science 14:69-81. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1955.14169x
- Juke TH, Stokstad ELR, Taylor RR, Combs TJ, Edwards HM, Meadows GB. 1950. Growth promoting effect of aureomycin on pigs. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 26:324-330.
- KPPA (Korea Pork Producers Association). 2013. Report on computerized records of the nationwide pig farmers. [in Korean]
- Mayrose VB, Speer VC, Hays VW, McCall JT. 1964. Effect of an antibiotic (Tylosin) and protein source on swine reproduction. Journal of Animal Science 23:737-740. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1964.233737x
- McCraken VJ, Gaskins HR. 1999. Probiotcs and the immune system. In Probiotics: A critical review edited by Tannock GW. pp. 85-111. Horizon Scientific Press, Norfolk, UK.
- Messersmith RE, Johnson DD, Elliot RF, Drain JJ. 1966. Value of chlortetracycline in breeding rations for sows. Journal of Animal Science 25:752-755. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1966.253752x
- Ruiz ME, Speer VC, Hays VW, Switzer WP. 1968. Effect of feed intake and antibiotic on reproduction in gilts. Journal of Animal Science 27:1602-1606. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.2761602x
- Stahly TS, Cromwell GL, Monegue HJ. 1980. Effects of the dietary inclusion of copper and(or) antibiotics on the performance of weanling pigs. Journal of Animal Science 51: 1347-1351. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5161347x
- Thomke S, Elwinger K. 1998. Growth promotants in feeding pigs and poultry. III. Alternatives to antibiotic growth promotants. Annales De Zootechnie 47:245-271. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:19980402
- Zimmerman DR. 1986. Role of subtherapeutic antimicrobials in animal production. Journal of Animal Science 62:Supplement 6-16.
- Investigation of industries's perception on the ban of antibiotics growth promoter in commercial mixed feed vol.42, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2015.42.4.389
Supported by : 농촌진흥청