- Volume 17 Issue 5
PURPOSES: The operational characteristics of roundabouts are generally influenced by location as well as traffic volume. The goal of this study is to develop urban and rural roundabout accident models and to discuss safety improvement guidelines based on the model. METHODS : To analyze accidents, count data models are utilized in this study. This study used accident data from 2010 to 2013 for 56 roundabouts collected from the Traffic Accident Analysis System (TASS) of Road Traffic Authority. Poisson and negative binomial regression models were developed for this study using NLOGIT 4.0. RESULTS : The main results are as follows. First, the hypotheses that there are distributional differences in the number of accidents and injuries/fatalities among rural and urban roundabouts were accepted. Second, Poisson and negative binomial regression accident models, which were all statistically significant, were developed. Seven independent variables, which were statistically significant, were adopted. Third, the common variable of models was evaluated to be traffic volume. CONCLUSIONS : This study developed two negative binomial roundabout accident models and suggested some accident reduction strategies. The results are expected to give some implications to the safety improvement of roundabout.
urban and rural;roundabout types;Poisson and negative binomial regression model;accident models
- Danielsa, S., Brijs, T., Nuyts, E., Wets, G. 2010a. Externality of risk and crash severity at roundabouts, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 42, Issue 6, 1966-1973. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2010.06.001
- Danielsa, S., Brijs, T., Nuyts, E., Wets, G. 2010b. Explaining variation in safety performance of roundabouts, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 42, Issue 2, 393-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.08.019
- Gross, F., Lyon, C., Persaud, B., Srinivasand, R. 2003. Safety Effectiveness of Converting Signalized Intersections to Roundabouts, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 50, 234-241.
- Han, S. S., Kim, K. H., Park, B. H. 2011. Accident Models of Circular Intersections by Type in Korea, Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 103-110.
- Isebrands, H. 2009. Crash Analysis of Roundabouts at High-speed Rural Intersections, 2009 TRB, Volume 2096, 1-7.
- Kim, K. H., Park, B. H. 2012. Simultaneous Equation Models for Evaluating Roundabout Accidents According to Different Driving Types, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol. 30, No. 5, 3-10.
- Kim, K. H., Park, K. S., Park, B. H. 2012. Traffic Accident Models of Urban Circular Intersections by Operational Type, Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 27, No. 2, 110-115.
- Montella, A. 2011. Identifying Crash Contributory Factors at Urban Roundabouts and Using Association Rules to Explore their Relationships to Different Crash Types, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol.43, 1451-1463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.02.023
- Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs, 2004. Provisional Roundabout Design Guideline.
- Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs, 2010. Roundabout Design Guideline.
- Ministry of Security and Public Administration. 2013. 2014.07.17. Press Release.
- Na, H., Park, B. H. 2012. Accident Models of Circular Intersection by Cause Using ZAM, Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol. 14, No. 2, 101-108.
- Park, B. H., Han, S. S. 2012. Accident Models of Circular Intersections by Weather Condition in Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 27, No. 6, 178-184.
- Park, B. H., Lim, J. K., Na, H., 2014. Motorcycle Accident Model at Roundabout in Korea using ZAM, Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 29, No. 3, 107-113. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2014.29.3.107
- Park, K. S. 2011. Development of Traffic Accident Models by Type of Circular Intersection, Doctoral Dissertation, Chungbuk National University.
- Presidential Council on National Competitiveness. 2009. Advanced Methods of Traffic Operation System for Establishing the Basic Orders.
- Road Traffic Authority. 2008. A Study on the Technology and Operation of Traffic Signal System.
- The Korea Transport Institute. 2013. 2013 Project of Supporting Research Policy Related Roundabout in Korea.
- The National Police. 2009. Project for Advancement of Traffic Control and Operation Systems.
- Traffic accident analysis system, Road Traffic Authority(TAAS : http://taas.koroad.or.kr)
- Transportation Safety Authority. 2013. Analysis of Intersection Traffic Accident.