- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Optimization of Lane-Use and Traffic Signal Timing at a Signalized Intersection
신호교차로의 차로 배정과 신호시간 최적화 모형에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.08.03
- Accepted : 2015.09.23
- Published : 2015.10.15
PURPOSES : The purpose of this study is to present a linear programing optimization model for the design of lane-based lane-uses and signal timings for an isolated intersection. METHODS: For the optimization model, a set of constraints for lane-uses and signal settings are identified to ensure feasibility and safety of traffic flow. Three types of objective functions are introduced for optimizing lane-uses and signal operation, including 1) flow ratio minimization of a dual-ring signal control system, 2) cycle length minimization, and 3) capacity maximization. RESULTS : The three types of model were evaluated in terms of minimizing delay time. From the experimental results, the flow ratio minimization model proved to be more effective in reducing delay time than cycle length minimization and capacity maximization models and provided reasonable cycle lengths located between those of other two models. CONCLUSIONS : It was concluded that the flow ratio minimization objective function is the proper one to implement for lane-uses and signal settings optimization to reduce delay time for signalized intersections.
objective function;lane-uses;signal settings;movement;flow ratio;cycle length minimization;capacity maximization
- Importa G. and Cantarella G. E. (1984), Control System Design for An Individual Signalized Junction, Transportation Research 18B(2), 147-167
- Kim, Dong Jae et al. (2002), Development of An Optimal Lane Assignment Model, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol. 20, No. 7, 87-94.
- Kim J. H., Shin E. K.(2013), A Study on Operation Methodology of A Signalized Intersection Based on Optimization of Lane-Uses, International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 15 No. 6, 49-60. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2013.15.6.049
- Kim Y. C. (1990), Development of Optimization Models for Signalized Intersection during Oversaturated Conditions, Ph. D. dissertation, Texas A&M University.
- Korean Society of Transportation (2004), Korean Highway Capacity Manual.
- Lam, W. H. K,. Poon, A. C. K and Mung, G. K. S (1997), Integrated Model For Lane-use and Signal-phase Designs, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering 123.
- Schrage, L. (1986), User's Manual for Linear Integer and Quadratic Programming with Lindo, The Scientific Press.
- Wallace, C. E., et al. (1998), TRANSYT-7F User's Guides, FHWA, U.S Department of Transportation.
- Webster, F. V. (1958), "Traffic Signal Settings," Road Research Technical Report No. 39, London, United Kingdom.
- Webster, F. V. and Cobbe, B. M. (1966), Traffic Signals, Road Research Technical Paper No. 56, Road Research Laboratory, London.
- Wong, C. K. & Wong, S. C. (2003), Lane-based Optimization of Signal Timings for Isolated Junctions, Transportation Research Part B 37, 63-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-2615(01)00045-5