- Volume 17 Issue 5
PURPOSES : This study aimed to develop a new highway capacity estimation method and provide comparative results among traditional capacity estimation methods and the recommended values in the latest version of KHCM. METHODS : The limitations of the existing methods, such as inconsistency and underestimation of the capacity value, are summarized through an extensive literature review. To overcome these limitations, a new method is introduced by adopting a definition of capacity and traffic flow characteristics at or near breakdown points. This method can produce the capacity value by searching a point corresponding to the maximum traffic flow through analysis of gradient changes (point of inflection) of the traffic flow and speed distribution. Comparative results of capacity values from each method are also presented to validate the new method by using data collected from detectors on freeways. RESULTS: From the analysis results, it is shown that a consistent capacity value can be estimated by applying the new method. In addition, the resulting capacity values are 3%-4% higher than those recommended in KHCM. CONCLUSIONS : The capacity values listed in the current KHCM tend to produce underestimated results. The new method presented in this paper may be included in the future edition of KHCM.
freeway;traffic breakdown;KHCM;capacity calculation
- Chang, M. S., and Kim, Y. G., Development of Capacity Estimation thod from Statistical Distribution of Observed Traffic Flow, Transportation Research Circular, E-C018, pp. 299-309, 2000.
- Chun, H.Y., Lee, E.E., A Study on Lateral Characteristics of Traffic Flow on Rural Freeway and Calibration of Lane-Number Adjustment Factor, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, vol.21, no.6, pp. 775-783, 2001.
- Hyde, T. and Wright, C. C., Extreme value methods for estimating road traffic capacity", Transportation Research, Part B, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 125-138, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-2615(86)90003-2
- Korea Expressway Corporation, Traffic Counting Data, Korea Expressway Corporation, 2007.
- Korea Expressway Corporation, Traffic Counting Data, Korea Expressway Corporation, 2008.
- Korea Expressway Corporation, Traffic Counting Data, Korea Expressway Corporation, 2009.
- The Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Korea Highway Capacity Manual, 2001.
- The Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Korea Highway Capacity Manual, 2013.
- TRB, Highway Capacity Manual, National Research Council, Washington D.C., TRB, 2000.
- TRB, Highway Capacity Manual, National Research Council, Washington D.C., TRB, 2010
- Wayne K. Kittelson, Roger P. Roess, Highway Capacity Analysis After Highway Capacity Manual 2000, Transportation Research Record 1776, pp. 10-16, 2001.
Supported by : 한국연구재단