- Volume 21 Issue 4
To explore the favorable structural system of cable-stayed bridges with ultra-kilometer main span, based on a fully self-anchored cable-stayed bridge with 1400 m main span, a partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge scheme with the same main span is designed. Numerical investigation on the dynamic characteristics, aerostatic and aerodynamic stability of both two bridge schemes is conducted, and the results are compared to those of a suspension bridge with similar main span, and considering from the aspect of wind stability, the feasibility of using partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge in super long-span bridges with ultra-kilometer main span is discussed. Moreover, the effects of structural design parameters including the length of earth-anchored girder, the number of auxiliary piers in side span, the height and width of girder, the tower height etc on the dynamic characteristics, aerostatic and aerodynamic stability of a partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge are analyzed, and their reasonable values are proposed. The results show that as compared to fully self-anchored cable-stayed bridge and suspension bridge with similar main span, the partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge has greater structural stiffness and better aerostatic and aerodynamic stability, and consequently becomes a favorable structural system for super long-span bridges with ultra-kilometer main span. The partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge can achieve greater stiffness and better wind stability under the cases of increasing the earth-anchored girder length, increasing the height and width of girder, setting several auxiliary piers in side span and increasing the tower height.
partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge;dynamic characteristics;aerostatic stability;aerodynamic stability;structural design parameters
- Chen, A.R. (2006), Wind-resistant research on the Taizhou Highway Bridge over the Yangtze River:sectional-model wind tunnel test, Research Report, The State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai (in Chinese).
- Chen, X., Nie, G.J., Jia, L.J. and Sun, B. (2013), "Approximate calculation of nature frequency of partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges", Chinese Quarterly of Mechnics, 34(4), 650-655.
- Gimsing, N.J. and Georgakis, C.T. (2012), Cable-Supported Bridges:Concept and Design, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, England.
- Muller J. (1991), "Bi-stayed Cable-stayed Bridge", Proceedings of the International Conference on Bridge, Leningrad.
- Nagai, M., Fujino, Y., Yamaguchi, H. and Iwasaki, E. (2004), "Feasibility of a 1400 m span steel cable-stayed bridge", J. Bridge Eng. - ASCE, 9(5), 444-452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(444)
- Sun, B. (2008), Study on structural system of thousand-meter scale cable-stayed bridges, Ph.D. Dissertation, Tongji University, Shanghai (in Chinese).
- Sun, B., Cheng, J. and Xiao, R.C. (2010), "Preliminary design and parametric study of a 1400 m partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge", Sci. China Series E: Technol. Sci., 53(2), 502-511. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-010-0041-4
- Won, J.H., Cho, K.I., Yoon, J.H. and Kim, S.H. (2008a), "Innovative key segment closing method using thermal prestressing technique for partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges", Adv. Struct. Eng., 11(5), 549-564. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308786412041
- Won, J.H., Park, S.J., Yoon, J.H. et al. (2008b), "Structural effects of partially earth-anchored cable system on medium span cable-stayed bridges", Int. J. Steel Struct., 8(3), 225-236.
- Won, J.H., Yoon, J.H., Park, S.J. and Kim, S.H. (2008c), "Effects of partially earth-anchored cable system on dynamic wind response of cable-stayed bridges", Wind Struct., 11(6), 441-453. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.6.441
- Xia, R.J. (2010), Mechanical performance and construction method of partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges, Ph.D. Dissertation, Tongji University, Shanghai (in Chinese).
- Xiang, H.F. and Lin Z.X. (1996), Wind-resistant research on the Jiangyin Highway Bridge over the Yangtze River, Research Report, The State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai(in Chinese).
- Xiang, H.F. (2012), "The trend of the world's mega-scale bridges-An inspiration of IABSE 2011 in London", Bridge, 3, 12-16.
- Xiao, R.C., Wei, P. and Sun, B. (2013), "Mechanical analysis and parametric study of long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge", J. Southeast University (Natural Science Edition), 43(5), 1097-1103.
- Zhang, L.W., Xiao, R.C. and Xia, R.J. (2011), "Mechanical analysis and study on structural parameter of partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge part I: mechanical analysis", Appl. Mech. Mater., 44, 1898-1905.
- Zhang, X.J. (2007), "Influence of some factors on the aerodynamic behavior of long-span suspension bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(3), 149-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.08.003
- Numerical Study on Aerostatic Instability Modes of the Double-Main-Span Suspension Bridge vol.2018, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7458529
- Nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of Hutong cable-stayed rail-cum-road bridge vol.23, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.23.6.485
- Mechanical Analysis and Study on Structural Parameter of Partially Earth-Anchored Cable-Stayed Bridge Part I: Mechanical Analysis vol.44-47, pp.1662-7482, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.44-47.1898
- Mechanical Analysis and Study on Structural Parameter of Partially Earth-Anchored Cable-Stayed Bridge Part II: Parametric Study vol.44-47, pp.1662-7482, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.44-47.1906
- The Reasonable Finished Dead State Research of Partially Earth-Anchored Cable-Stayed Bridge vol.255-260, pp.1662-8985, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.255-260.1319